Cracked skylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked skylight

We have a 2023 gd 303rls. We have been on the road for 2 months and found cracks which, of course leak, in the shower sky light. I have read previous posts referencing this problem. We are currently in texas on our way to arizona. Does anybody have a temporary solution until I can get a new sky light?
    ​​​​​​​

2023 GD 303RLS
    2022 F350 6.2L 8FT BOX

Grand Design is aware of an issue with cracking skylights on recent production products. They have issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) to their dealers . . . so, your dealer should be well aware of this. Since it sounds like you are not close to your selling dealer, contact Grand Design Customer Service and they may send you a new part and the TSB instructions for replacement by you are a mobile RV technician. In the interim, Eternabond tape is the product of choice for sealing anything on the roof. That stuff sticks to anything and is waterproof.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob -- for clarification, use eternabond only on the skylight (don't attach any to the roofing material) when executing a temporary repair, right? (A dealer or mobile technician won't be happy if they have to try and remove eternabond from the Alpha roof if the OP misunderstands what I believe is your intent.)

HSnyder -- my friend drove through a Minnesota hail storm that put a nice size hole right through his skylight. He used Flex Seal tape as a temporary repair. It lasted throughout the rest of our month-long trip into Canada.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
        Good point Howard . . . Eternabond is tough to remove for the skylight replacement. I would still use it, but keep it to the skylight cracks and the self levelling caulking around the perimeter. Scraping up the original caulking to eventually replace the skylight will lift the Eternabond. I have no experience with Flex Seal tape . . . so that might be another alternative. In any event . . . the OP should get a water tight seal over those cracks ASAP. I would also pull the interior trim to make sure the surrounding ceiling insulation is dry.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Gorilla tape.
          clear if you prefer.
          USN Engineer Retired
          2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
          2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Personally when it comes to a water leak, I could care less what color it is or if it lets light through. Flex seal tape or spray, eternabond, duct tape and a plastic bag, anything to stop the water. Even silicon caulk and a cut up garbage can if there is a hole.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for recommendations. So far I drilled a hole to stop the cracks and sealed the cracks with silicone sealant that I had on hand. I will try the tape, tacting dealer today.
              2023 GD 303RLS
              2022 F350 6.2L 8FT BOX

Comment

We have the exact same issue and had the same problem with our 2021 Grand Design unit. Seems to be a continued quality control issue with GD. Our brand-new unit which is only 2 months old (2023) has a cracked skylight as well. Use Eternabond, we used Flex seal it was garbage and leaked so did the Gorilla tape. We were in a pounding rainstorm and the Eternabond held up well with no leaks. The issue is they are tightening the screws to tight when they install the skylights. Our previous campers' cracks were all at the screw which the cracks will continued to grow. Our new camper has the same issue it has a crack at the screw, and it was way over tightened. We have not filed a warranty claim yet because we just found a puddle of water on the floor from skylight but last time it took forever to get the skylights in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Grand Design is aware of an issue with cracking skylights on recent production products. They have issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) to their dealers . . . so, your dealer should be well aware of this. Since it sounds like you are not close to your selling dealer, contact Grand Design Customer Service and they may send you a new part and the TSB instructions for replacement by you are a mobile RV technician. In the interim, Eternabond tape is the product of choice for sealing anything on the roof. That stuff sticks to anything and is waterproof.

Rob
                  Can you tell me where I can find this TSB (technical service bulletin)? Thanks in advance for you help

Comment

I bought RecPro skylights which are thicker material and did the repair myself. Grand Design sent the replacement skylights but the material seemed flimsy at best so I decided not to use them. This was in 2021 so it's been a problem for a while.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X