Silicone vs Marine caulk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone vs Marine caulk.

Hello all, are you all using the Trempro 645 to reseal the outer seams, windows, etc or something else. I ran across the post below on another forum and found it interesting. Any thoughts on using marine caulk? I probably would not use it on the roof as they did. Thanks, Scott

"The marine caulk mention was probably me. I try not to get on my high horse about it but it's a challenge. I just don't know why silicone has a place in this industry. I'd rather do it once and be done for several years. I have refurbished and modified boats and travel trailers, and maintained a couple of motorhomes. Adhesive caulking will out-perform silicone every time. Marine caulk is adhesive caulk which can withstand below water line conditions. I have used it on RV's as well as boats. I re-caulked my boat's through-hull fittings last year after 17 years - under the waterline.

After week 2 with my 2022 GD, I had to go on the roof because there was a damp spot in the corner of the ceiling above the entry door. As is very typical, the caulking along the metal trim and roof membrane had already cracked. In the rear, the self-leveling caulk could already be peeled up along the edges.

Normally, I would remove all the existing caulking first but I wasn't in a position to take that much time. I just ran a thick bead of adhesive caulk (I always have marine caulk) and smoothed it out with my fingers making sure the edges had good contact with the membrane and the metal trim, but directly over the top of their previously installed caulk. (I should mention that I did clean it well first.) This stuff sticks, even to the existing caulk - but not silicone. 1.5 years later and no cracking anywhere. I would like to take the rig to RV Roof Install and have a proper roof put on. But in the event I don't do that in the next year, I will take the time to clean off the old stuff and redo it all.

Some will argue not using appropriate recommended "compatible" (yeah right) products will void the warranty. My philosophy is that I'm up there because their inferior product or application isn't holding up after week 2 so why would I want to maintain that for the next year or however many for a warranty? I won't have to worry about water leaks if it is sealed properly. The only warranty work I would bring it in for on the roof is when those bubbles all over start billowing in the wind due to inferior application of the roof membrane. If they try to tell me the caulk I used along the edges or around any fittings voids the warranty for the middle of the roof membrane billowing in the wind, well I'd like to understand that logic. Anyway, they can keep their warranty if that's the case. I'll spend the money to get something done right myself.

Dismounting the high horse now..."
    2019 Solitude 310 GK
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW

SD McCart -- what specific brand of marine caulk do you use? The Trempo 645 mentioned by the OP seems like a non-controversial choice for everything but the roof.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have been using the Trempro 645. I was just asking what you thought about the Marine caulk. I have not used it yet. The lengthy quote on my post was from another forum. In another post he said he uses 3M marine caulk. Thanks
      2019 Solitude 310 GK
      2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by SD McCart View Post
        I have been using the Trempro 645. I was just asking what you thought about the Marine caulk. I have not used it yet. The lengthy quote on my post was from another forum. In another post he said he uses 3M marine caulk. Thanks
        I used to use Geocel for all exterior trim and screws but found it not very easy to apply. A few years ago when at the factory service center, a tech working on my unit was using the Tempro 645. It was night and day difference in how easy and neat his work looked vs mine using the Geocel. He gave me a tube to try and when I resealed all exterior was very happy with not only the ease but how well it worked not to shrink, remains very flexible and I have not had any water intrusion where applied. It also stays in tube longer without drying out. I buy it from GD.

I have had no issues using the dicor product on roof.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

OK you fine folks have me stumped. My knowledge of Marine stuff is somehow getting wet

What is the difference? My go to has always been GE 100% silicone (clear) for windows/trim . As far as I know its pure silicone. And the proper self leveling for the roof.

Inquiring mind here wanting to know.

Thanks

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

A pure silicone will not accept paint. There are also silicone blends that will accept paint. I refer 100% GE Silicone.

Here is some additional information on Marine Caulks for those interested in this approach.

https://www.boatingmag.com/choosing-right-marine-caulk/

Jim

Comment

I became a fan of 3M 5200 marine when I had my boat. It had good adhesion and could be applied in a wet environment.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
              X