Sun shade screen kit for awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun shade screen kit for awning

I am thinking about installing a shade screen kit on my awning. I found a few that will provide shade with a screen that runs the length of the awning and one that fits on the side. But I’m concerned about leaving the awning out all the time. I bring it in every night and before wind storms, but that’s not feasible with a screen tied down to the ground. Does anyone have experience with these screens and power awnings? Maybe an awning tie down kit would work?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Hi Bob,

Modern power awnings are not meant to be left out in any amount of wind. I have seen screens with a crosswise zipper so that the upper portion can be rolled up with the awning and the lower portion can be left anchored to the ground.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Bob,

Modern power awnings are not meant to be left out in any amount of wind. I have seen screens with a crosswise zipper so that the upper portion can be rolled up with the awning and the lower portion can be left anchored to the ground.

Rob
      bogen2
      I have the one Rob mentions. There is a piece of shade about 2 feet long that has a zipper on the bottom so you can zip off the main part of the screen and roll up the short piece. They had different lengths of the short piece. I chose the longer one so I can zip the main awning on and off without a ladder. Works well.
      Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
      2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
      2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

bogen2
        I have the one Rob mentions. There is a piece of shade about 2 feet long that has a zipper on the bottom so you can zip off the main part of the screen and roll up the short piece. They had different lengths of the short piece. I chose the longer one so I can zip the main awning on and off without a ladder. Works well.
        bogen2 BTW. Mine was a Carefree model from rvupgrades.com.

01-4657 Carefree UU2008 RV Awning Canopy Extension Panel Kit - 20'
        Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
        2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
        2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

bogen2 I have the Carefree as well, I've been very happy with it. I unzip it at night or in wind and roll in the awning.

CAREFREE 701909ACD Black 19' x 9' Drop RV Awning EZ ZipBlocker https://a.co/d/aYpTjIk
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We have two that we use, since we have two awnings. The awnings are at different heights from the ground when extended. I use a 1’ drop piece for one awning and a 2’ for the other. That way, I can reach both from the ground for attach/detach. We only have the awnings out when we are under them. I’ve seen too many photos of wind damage and reports on repair costs to take any chances. We consider them to be “part-time” sun or rain shelters.
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
            X