Published trailer height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Published trailer height

Are the published heights for trailers on the GD website accurate? We will be taking our trailer cross continent before too long and thought I better check clearances on the route. But I neglected to measure our trailer height in the summer and now it is not possible. GD says our 303RLS, with no second A/C is 12'3" high. To those that have measured, is the published number dependable? I should have no issues with a low bridge sign indicating 12'6"?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

When level, it should be close, but if the hitching isn’t perfectly level, it could change. Nose high hitching is not uncommon with 5th wheels on modern trucks.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I would cringe a little if I seen a 12' 6" underpass that I needed to go thru, I would probably avoid it.

At 12' 3" there are lots of things that could make that more or less, as mentioned above the hitch height is one major item that can change this. Also if you had added any roof vent covers like the Maxair type this will add a little height as well.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I would cringe a little if I seen a 12' 6" underpass that I needed to go thru, I would probably avoid it.

Brian
        Miss by 3" or 3'...still a miss...lol
        Ya...I wouldn't choose a 12.5' underpass...but...if you have no choice...at least you know you 'should' be ok.

Comment

And to think I cringe at 13'6". I do really need to hook up the unit and take it to work where the ground is roughly "IN PLANE" where I can measure from the top of the front AC to the ground on both sides and average the 2.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

To accurately measure “towing” height, set a laser level on top of the highest thing and measure to the ground (at dusk works best.)

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Let's not forget the variations in published or posted clearance signs. For various reasons, the clearance can be significantly different than what is posted. Repaving. The crown in the road. Signage added to the overpass. Suspension bounce. Contour of the roadway. Variations in the clearance left-to-right. I try to avoid anything under 13'6". I have even considered using that fourth Furrion camera I have laying around, and mounting it on the AC as my "clearance cam".
              - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                To accurately measure “towing” height, set a laser level on top of the highest thing and measure to the ground (at dusk works best.)

Rob
                Did you do it? And if you did...what did it measure?

Comment

Don't want the travel experience the second vehicle in this clip experienced. We all should really know our overall height. I'm guilty of not knowing exactly.

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, that's one of my favorite sites. I check it a few times a year.

I bet if someone does put a camera on the front of the AC they get scared extremely quickly. Cameras do not have good perspective in my opinion. One would most likely need a height pole on the front where the camera can see if it touches an overhead obstruction while moving slowly under a questionable obstruction.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Scott'n'Wendy Scott, that's one of my favorite sites. I check it a few times a year.
                      I hear they are raising that bridge, to what height I'm not sure. It's nickname is the can-opener.

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, they got 8" out of it last I saw. The website is the same, but they added it to the name: http://11foot8.com
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

As an add-on to the original question, what is popular here among ways to determine potential clearance issues on your route?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            As an add-on to the original question, what is popular here among ways to determine potential clearance issues on your route?
                            I use a truckers atlas and lowclearancemap.com. The atlas rides in the back pocket on the truck seat in case there is a road blockage somewhere with no cell coverage.

The web site only allows even feet for vehicle height, which I didn’t like at first, but then I realized that I really want to be aware of anything close to my height.

If those two options don’t make me comfortable, I look at Google and see if the aerial view shows semi traffic on the road.
                            John & Kathy
                            2014 Reflection 303RLS
                            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Our 303RLS does not have the front AC and I measured ours right at 12'3".

I use a combination of google maps and rv trip wizard to plan routes. rv trip wizard gives routes that avoid clearances you can't make. I always get a little nervous when I'm on a road where I don't see any semi trucks. If there are semis then I don't even worry about clearance.
                              David and Deana
                              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                              2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X