Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof sealant- how long should it initially last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof sealant- how long should it initially last?

Just had my Grand Design Imagine 2970RL in the shop for a cracked fresh water tank and the dealer offered a free roof inspection. I took delivery in October of 2020 and the dealer is telling me they need to scrape and reapply all of the sealant on the roof. I do not see any “significant”cracking in the sealant and have no roof leaks. This is my first travel trailer and just trying to understand how long the lap sealant typically lasts before needing to be completely replaced after initial manufacture? The dealer quoted $1600 (2970 is 34 ft long). Is this an “as needed” thing or is there some t specific frame after which it should be replaced?
    Eddie & Kathy
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
    Houston, TX

Hi Eddie & Kathy,

This is definitely something that you should discuss with Grand Design Customer Service. They will likely want to see pictures. What your dealer is proposing would be an unusual requirement. Scraping off self levelling caulking is a difficult job and risks damage to the roof membrane. It is relatively common for small cracks to open in the caulking and these can be remedied by applying more self levelling caulking. Which is why regular roof inspection is a good thing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had a few small cracks or openings in the sealant on my unit when it was brand new. According to the sealant manufacturer and Grand Design, you DO NOT need to remove the old sealant. Simply place fresh self leveling sealant on the open areas and you're good to go. Do your roof inspection and resealing once a quarter and you're good. When you do this, take photos with the date stamp turned on so your roof warranty will remain valid by showing you're doing your routine inspections and maintenance.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Ebkent62 View Post
        Just had my Grand Design Imagine 2970RL in the shop for a cracked fresh water tank and the dealer offered a free roof inspection. I took delivery in October of 2020 and the dealer is telling me they need to scrape and reapply all of the sealant on the roof. I do not see any “significant”cracking in the sealant and have no roof leaks. This is my first travel trailer and just trying to understand how long the lap sealant typically lasts before needing to be completely replaced after initial manufacture? The dealer quoted $1600 (2970 is 34 ft long). Is this an “as needed” thing or is there some t specific frame after which it should be replaced?
        Hi, I like the eternabond tape method and inspect every ten years.

Charles

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...0-4513d670b6bc
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Working...
        X