Snow removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow removal

Geared to the more northerly members, I'm curious as to the safest way to remove snow from the trailer. I'm doing it because I'll be dragging it south soon and I don't believe it is either safe or legal to take off with 15cm of snow on the roof.
    I went and tested removing it by chopping with my hands and it worked...but kind of slow. I'm too afraid of breaking something if I use a shovel.
    Any ideas out there as to the best, safe way to remove snow?
    And is shuffling around on your hands and knees on the TPO roof, harmful to the TPO? In some spots there is about a 1/8" layer of ice frozen to the TPO. I'll leave it as is but is stepping on it perhaps hard on the TPO?
    🤔
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

I’d advise against getting on a roof with snow. Might exit quickly and unexpectedly.

A broom or brush would be better.

Turning the furnace on for a few hours might be easiest.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230119-121013_Chrome.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	103596 Use a roof rake.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Have you tried a blower? What about a standard push broom?

Be very cautious as ice and heights do not mix. I might be temped to brush what I could and then when driving find an un occupied road for a short period (3-5 miles) and see how much blows off at normal speeds. My few dealings with it have been once broken up it tends to dissipate as a mist more or less, not large clumps. Although I have seen 18wheeler box trucks with 30cm or so on top flying down the roads with it disembarking in large sections. Most luckily were not solidified, instead just large sections with no real cohesion.

Take my advice with a very large grain of salt as snow is not in our normal winter forecast.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Wet snow does not blow away or sweep away very easily.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

How about heading south before the weather turns cold. (Somebody had to say it.)

I vote push broom... just can't see dragging a roof rake across the TPO.

... and be mindful of all the cold and brittle plastic accoutrements up there.

Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
              How about heading south before the weather turns cold. (Somebody had to say it.)

Mike
              We are planning on leaving the trailer in Kansas or similar for next year. Leaving before the cold here means October/November...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                We are planning on leaving the trailer in Kansas or similar for next year. Leaving before the cold here means October/November...
                Nice! We in S/W Ontario have had little winter this year... a light dusting of snow on the pineapples in December and nothing more. Still, I'm all for flip-flops from November to April.
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy - long time GDRV Momentum owner Dallas d2reid has spent more time in the snow and dealing with cold and ice than anyone I can recall. He has shared on the other forum a number of times over the years his methods for snow and ice removal. He and his wife are ski patrol team members at various ski resorts and all around avid outdoors (year round) folks.

Hopefully Dallas will chime in or possibly you may want to PM him. Thanks, in advance Dallas. He was also a moderator on the other GDRV forum.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Sorry but I just could not resist, snow does not get on the roof at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191110_100747.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	103612

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Sorry but I just could not resist, snow does not get on the roof at all.

Click image for larger version Name:	20191110_100747.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	103612

Brian
                      Nice!!
                      I see if we get that truck out of the right hand bay, my trailer should fit. When should I bring it by? Hmmm?

I built my garage for my 440 Dodge Challenger. Now I wish I had built it two, three feet higher......
                      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-19-2023, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

Nice! We in S/W Ontario have had little winter this year... a light dusting of snow on the pineapples in December and nothing more. Still, I'm all for flip-flops from November to April.
                        I'm with ya! However, swmbo would never think of a Christmas without snow. I'm good with palm trees..lol

Whereabouts in SW Ontario? My cousin lives in Innerkip. Another in London. Another in Don Mills. One in Ancaster. More family in Haliburton. We're the northern wing of the group.
                        Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-20-2023, 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                          Thanks, in advance Dallas. He was also a moderator on the other GDRV forum.

Dan
                          Thanks
                          I will have to go look up some of Dallas' posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Nice!!
                            I see if we get that truck out of the right hand bay, my trailer should fit. When should I bring it by? Hmmm?

I built my garage for my 440 Dodge Challenger. Now I wish I had built it two, three feet higher......
                            The back half of the truck side is 2 story inside so anything longer than 25 feet will not fit, the truck does not winter in there either, that side is my work shop.

I would remove the snow with a broom and from a ladder, I would not get on that roof for any amount of money.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Scott,

I have done this by pulling the snow with a T shaped broom (a push broom) from a 12’ step ladder. I would stay off the roof for all the reasons explained earlier in this thread. There is definitely something to be said for heading south before freeze-up. Certainly easier on the trailer and on the driver! If you are visiting family in SW Ontario, look us up . . . we are in the area you mentioned.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X