Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof problem

Hi,

I'm a new owner of an Imagine XLS 22 MLE 2022. It is our first RV and we have enjoyed our first summer with it!

I need your help as I'm new with that and have a problem!

unfortunately, our roof was damaged. As you can see in the attached pictures, there is a series of holes. I checked on the web and saw that I could put a patch with a sealant to fix it (Quick Roof Rubber Repair / LAP Sealant). But my dealer told me that I should change the entire roof so as not to devalue my trailer and that anyway I am insured!

My question is: should I rather keep the original roof as long as possible with just a patch or have the entire roof redone? Is a redone roof as good as the original?

Thanks for your help!​
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ChabotQC View Post
    Hi,

I'm a new owner of an Imagine XLS 22 MLE 2022. It is our first RV and we have enjoyed our first summer with it!

I need your help as I'm new with that and have a problem!

unfortunately, our roof was damaged. As you can see in the attached pictures, there is a series of holes. I checked on the web and saw that I could put a patch with a sealant to fix it (Quick Roof Rubber Repair / LAP Sealant). But my dealer told me that I should change the entire roof so as not to devalue my trailer and that anyway I am insured!

My question is: should I rather keep the original roof as long as possible with just a patch or have the entire roof redone? Is a redone roof as good as the original?

Thanks for your help!​
    I had similar damage to my roof membrane. I put some EternaBond on it and moved on. Cheaper than the insurance copay and you don't get a ding on your insurance.

There are cheap easy ways to repair yourself, but a new roof is nice - but will cost you.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

ChabotQC -- I agree with acoleman43 Your roof can be quickly and easily repaired with eternabond tape. Seal around the edge of the tape with Alpha self-leveling sealant. I've had several pine cones create holes in my roof and that's how mine are fixed. No issues with leaks.

If you're convinced a new roof is the way to go, then spend a bit extra and fix it permanently by ditching the TPO rubber roof completely. I haven't done it yet on mine, but I keep contemplating going with an RV Flex Armor roof. https://rvroof.com/

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'd put eternabond on there and forget about it. I'd be a bit curious about how the tears got there though? Shoveling off snow?
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Another vote for eternabond tape. I do not think this patch will "devalue" the RV very much. If there was water damage caused by the holes then that would be an issue.

It is also important to note that you should inspect the roof quite often during each year, I do ours about every trip or so. It is not uncommon to find some type of issue with the roof that needs attention, and better to find it early.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Depends on the cause... if a snow shovel or tree branch (as it appears), then tape as suggested and forget it. If caused by something structural or in the build process (staples, debris under the membrane, etc.) then I'd replace to eliminate like damage again. Also, if there is water damage in the roof/structure itself, I'd repair and replace and go with Howard's suggestion. That's what insurance is for, no?

Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

On our first TT, I repaired the roof in several spots where it had dings. One from having the AC replaced and a couple of others from various thing falling on it. On one of the slides, I had a tree branch HARPOON the slide roof poking down enough to crack the inside paneling on the ceiling. I did the repair, and "H" taped the repair. When traded, the dealer never mentioned roof as a cause for reduction of price. I actually got a bump UP because the unit was so well taken care of.

I agree, inspect the roof. I inspect ours every time we get back from a trip. The one time I did not, the TV antenna was shattered on the front.

Only climb on the roof if you are comfortable with the heights, and be extremely safe. When in doubt even if comfortable up there, CRAWL to safety (had to do this when washing the roof).
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe I've just been lucky. I check the roof once in the fall and that's it. Never had an issue...maybe I'm due...some of you guys check EVERY trip?
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Hmmm. Maybe I've just been lucky. I check the roof once in the fall and that's it. Never had an issue...maybe I'm due...some of you guys check EVERY trip?
                  If we are camping in the trees, which happens quite often, I do check before I leave for home. Trees are great for dropping items that could damage the roof material. My previous TT was checked maybe twice a year but the roof material seemed heavier than that on our Reflection.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X