Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for the Tail light strip mod post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the Tail light strip mod post.

Does anyone recall a post in here where that a mod was made to add the lighting strips to each side of the trailer. And the strips used are the same setup that put under your tailgate.

I have been digging for hours and can’t find it. Hopefully someone recalls seeing it. I’ve searched all wording and nothing.
    2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

By any chance was it this one?

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...illight-add-on

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Jim your close, but I think the post was on a toy hauler where those strips were used vertical on the rear door about midway up on each side. I think they activated as stop and turn, but I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so I am not sure. I believe it was posted on the other place too.

However I have not see that install on a TT as getting the wiring to the lights in the back wall will be a problem. I looked for an easy way on my 5er and gave up.

Dude Are you wanting to go vertical along the rear edges? Just trying to understand Ill search back in my postings to see if I can find it as I remember asking questions. Could take me a while.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Dude -- have you looked in the Modifications spreadsheet? https://gdrvowners.com/modifications...ification-list
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Dude -- have you looked in the Modifications spreadsheet? https://gdrvowners.com/modifications...ification-list
          Howard - a dumb question as I am computer stupid. To search your file (its great BTW) do you use the find feature, or is there another way to search?

BTW - Can our search engine here be improved? I tried searching LED Lights, and it gave me lights, but ignored LED. Just wondering how to get it to search LED Lights as one group of words (one term). I know I am missing something so I apologize up front. This was using both normal search and advance search.

Thanks
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Howard - a dumb question as I am computer stupid. To search your file (its great BTW) do you use the find feature, or is there another way to search?

BTW - Can our search engine here be improved? I tried searching LED Lights, and it gave me lights, but ignored LED. Just wondering how to get it to search LED Lights as one group of words (one term). I know I am missing something so I apologize up front. This was using both normal search and advance search.

Thanks
            Keith
            I still owe you that video on how to use the spreadsheet, don't I?

Best way to search forum is to NOT use this forum's search feature. (No, we can't improve it.) Use Google or DuckDuckGo. Enter the search criteria and then limit the search to this forum, as in LED light site:gdrvowners.com
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Jim your close, but I think the post was on a toy hauler where those strips were used vertical on the rear door about midway up on each side. I think they activated as stop and turn, but I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so I am not sure. I believe it was posted on the other place too.

However I have not see that install on a TT as getting the wiring to the lights in the back wall will be a problem. I looked for an easy way on my 5er and gave up.

Dude Are you wanting to go vertical along the rear edges? Just trying to understand Ill search back in my postings to see if I can find it as I remember asking questions. Could take me a while.

Keith
              Yes sir that’s the post I was looking for. I did look through the mod list and it wasn’t there either. I did find a mod post explaining how to hook up the backup lights. That was the main reason I was looking for the other post. I knew there was a way to get backup power to the back and wanted to refresh my memory. Refreshing the mind happens a lot at my age. 🤪
              Thank for everyone’s help in this. It is very appreciated
              2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

Yes sir that’s the post I was looking for. I did look through the mod list and it wasn’t there either. I did find a mod post explaining how to hook up the backup lights. That was the main reason I was looking for the other post. I knew there was a way to get backup power to the back and wanted to refresh my memory. Refreshing the mind happens a lot at my age. 🤪
                Thank for everyone’s help in this. It is very appreciated
                Dude
                The problem will be how to get the wires to the lights as the back wall is solid foam core. The toy hauler project used the back door and the builder was able to take the side trim off to run wires if I remember correctly. I too looked at doing this and I looked at the side trim, but was unwilling to pull it as it ties the walls together. Now in your case you may be able to get outside wall access with your rear bath (run wires inside to the outside). I suspect your existing tail tight wiring comes from the inside in the back of the cabinets or behind the shower - it does on my rear kitchen. Have you looked over on the other forum, or even IRV?

Trying to help
                Keith

Comment

Dude
                  The problem will be how to get the wires to the lights as the back wall is solid foam core. The toy hauler project used the back door and the builder was able to take the side trim off to run wires if I remember correctly. I too looked at doing this and I looked at the side trim, but was unwilling to pull it as it ties the walls together. Now in your case you may be able to get outside wall access with your rear bath (run wires inside to the outside). I suspect your existing tail tight wiring comes from the inside in the back of the cabinets or behind the shower - it does on my rear kitchen. Have you looked over on the other forum, or even IRV?

Trying to help
                  Keith
                  I have not. I wasn’t aware of the other sites.
                  im planning on digging into soon if the weather will hold out. I have not decided if I was going to wire into the current lights or jump off the wiring that I ran for my kayak trailer I ran some time back. If I connect to the wires I ran I can come up from the two side from the bottom and just start the lights there. I don’t need the lights to be very high just more visible when in toe. Once I figure out a plan I’ll be sure to report out come. Please share these other forums you talked about. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

I have not. I wasn’t aware of the other sites.
                    im planning on digging into soon if the weather will hold out. I have not decided if I was going to wire into the current lights or jump off the wiring that I ran for my kayak trailer I ran some time back. If I connect to the wires I ran I can come up from the two side from the bottom and just start the lights there. I don’t need the lights to be very high just more visible when in toe. Once I figure out a plan I’ll be sure to report out come. Please share these other forums you talked about. Thanks.
                    Moderators - If I have blundered here please delete or correct. Sorry in advance
                    Sorry Dude - its not allowed to post links to the "other place". It's a non affiliated form with no factory participation and some misguided information at times in my opinion. However you avatar looks familiar so you may already know about the site.

If not search "Grand Design RV Forms" and it should pop up along with several others. Same for IRV2. Also as many of the components on our trailers are shared across the industry, there are many dozens of sites to research issues and projects. Search brand specific, but be careful many are not moderated for accuracy as this place is. That's one thing that great here - if I get it wrong folks are polite and get the correct information out. Last YouTube - some good and not so good projects there - again be careful on any advice.. What was the saying - Trust, but Verify Also there are several Grand Design Facebook groups for specific trailers and in general. Some good reading there - especially places to explore.

Keith

Comment

Yoda
                      The reason we do not reference "the other place" is at their request. Bottom line: this forum is not in competition with anyone. No one participating in this forum (especially the moderators) has anything to gain other than the satisfaction of helping other owners. To my knowledge, no other site can make that claim.

Howard

Comment

Thanks Keith and Howard for the clarification. And I have to agree this forum has been very helpful. I find my self reaching out to this group not only looking for feedback but to gain knowledge. Not knowing or even looking for other groups for knowledge is because I normally find it here. A big thank you to all that support this site.

Comment

Working...
                        X