3100RD rear wall construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100RD rear wall construction

Is there an aluminum frame member running vertically at the center of the rear wall? If not is there a horizontal piece anywhere through the centerline of the rear wall! Trying to find where I can mount a small flag.
    2022 3100RD
    2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
    Over 55 years TT towing

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
    Is there an aluminum frame member running vertically at the center of the rear wall? If not is there a horizontal piece anywhere through the centerline of the rear wall! Trying to find where I can mount a small flag.
    According to the 3100RD Mar 2020 Rear Wall print, there's a vertical aluminum frame member that's dead center, extending from the bottom of the rear wall up to the bottom of the windows.

The only external EGS is under the ladder mount points.

There's quite a few internal EGS strips for cabinets and such, but that's not going to help for an external flag mount.

Between the two windows, again in the center, are two strips of some material--sorry--not sure exactly what it is. Shouldn't be EGS. It's either aluminum with wood inserted or just wood. The two "strips" are 1.5" x 5" x 24" (the height of the windows) and are side-by-side, with the mating point being in the dead center of the rear of the camper.

Above the windows (and again in the center) is yet another short section of aluminum stud.

I'd expect the aluminum frame members can be found with a stud sensor? (I've never tried it on my 315RLTS--something I've got to test!)

Not that you asked for my .02, but consider mounting the small flag to the ladder hand rail with a readily available aftermarket accessory.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just to clarify a tad on Howard's response. howson

EGS = Electro Galvanized Sheetmetal. GDRV places very thin strips of EGS in the walls for mounting points. If it's for an exterior attachment like the ladder Howard mentioned, the strips will be right under the exterior wall. And likewise, if the mounting points are for an interior attachment, they are placed just under the surface of the interior wall. The nice thing about EGS is that it can be located with a magnet.

If interested, there are some exterior EGS strips mounted for awning backers on the door side of your RV. If you wanted to mount your flag near the awning, you could use a magnet to find a suitable location. The awning backers are 6" wide, so you may be able to mount your flag directly adjacent to an awning arm.

On the aluminum studs, you can frequently see them when there is sufficient humidity and a temperature difference between the outside temp and the interior of the RV. When those condensation lines show up, it's a great time to take photos so you can find the "studs" again when needed. And you can use a tape measure to record the exact location of them.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Howard and Jim. This is what I wanted to know. Much appreciated. I knew I could count on this community for help. Happy camping!!
        2022 3100RD
        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Quote - Between the two windows, again in the center, are two strips of some material--sorry--not sure exactly what it is. Shouldn't be EGS. It's either aluminum with wood inserted or just wood. The two "strips" are 1.5" x 5" x 24" (the height of the windows) and are side-by-side, with the mating point being in the dead center of the rear of the camper. - Unquote

For the benefit of anyone interested, these strips are likely the supports for the 50” TV bracket, located between the windows.
          2022 3100RD
          Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
          X