Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad roof leak

From Fishface

I would like to hear about anyone that has a problem with their roof leaking on a NEW trailer. We bought a 2023 Imagine 22 MLE in late November 2022. We picked up our trailer In Salem Oregon December 7th and drove an hour away. We loaded our new trailer with our old trailer stuff and drove it to its park spot out of town on some friend's property. Last weekend we drove out to our friend's place where we stored it and used it for 2 nights January 20th, and 21st. On the morning of the 2nd day, my wife looked under the sink in the bathroom and found where we stored 3 rolls of paper towels, a 6 pack of T.P. still in cellophane and a 1/2 empty cellophane wrapped napkins ALL soaked with water and mildew / mold covered. I climbed up on top of the trailer to find above the bathroom side the rubber roof found a group of splits in it right along the corner where the rubber roof bent over towards the gutter above the awning. We know it was that way before we bought it (we figured). I wrote an email to the company and sent it to have it on record. Then Monday morning I called the dealer and told them the problem. The dealer had us bring it up to them and we went over the other minor problems too. We are wondering because we live in a VERY wet state (Oregon) that the Mold will be bad in the future after the dealer fixes it in the wall. Because my wife and I have a hard time with mold / Mildew allergies, we are hoping we can get another new trailer and send ours back to the company. I don't believe they can get all the mold out of it, and we start park hosting in March. any ideas from you all on what to do?

2023 22 MLE
    2014 Chevy Silverado

I can see it being repaired. Highly doubt a replacement will be offered.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by fishface View Post
      From Fishface

I would like to hear about anyone that has a problem with their roof leaking on a NEW trailer. We bought a 2023 Imagine 22 MLE in late November 2022. We picked up our trailer In Salem Oregon December 7th and drove an hour away. We loaded our new trailer with our old trailer stuff and drove it to its park spot out of town on some friend's property. Last weekend we drove out to our friend's place where we stored it and used it for 2 nights January 20th, and 21st. On the morning of the 2nd day, my wife looked under the sink in the bathroom and found where we stored 3 rolls of paper towels, a 6 pack of T.P. still in cellophane and a 1/2 empty cellophane wrapped napkins ALL soaked with water and mildew / mold covered. I climbed up on top of the trailer to find above the bathroom side the rubber roof found a group of splits in it right along the corner where the rubber roof bent over towards the gutter above the awning. We know it was that way before we bought it (we figured). I wrote an email to the company and sent it to have it on record. Then Monday morning I called the dealer and told them the problem. The dealer had us bring it up to them and we went over the other minor problems too. We are wondering because we live in a VERY wet state (Oregon) that the Mold will be bad in the future after the dealer fixes it in the wall. Because my wife and I have a hard time with mold / Mildew allergies, we are hoping we can get another new trailer and send ours back to the company. I don't believe they can get all the mold out of it, and we start park hosting in March. any ideas from you all on what to do?

2023 22 MLE
      2014 Chevy Silverado
      Sorry to hear your having a leak this early in ownership. After your repair, an Ozone machine will kill mold efficiently. You cannot be present when the Ozone machine is being operated.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme...713184726&th=1

Jim

Comment

fishface

It would seem that your request should be directed to your dealer or Grand Design customer service. If you need their contact info, it is on the right side of the home page of this forum. We are a group of owners just like yourself and while we may have opinions, we do not have any influence on your interaction with your dealer or GD.

From another owner’s perspective . . . I doubt that any RV manufacturer would replace an entire trailer because of a water leak. Water leaks, whether they be plumbing or rain water, are relatively common in RVs. Constant attention to all exterior seams and seals is good practice . . . particularly on the roof. If you believe that the damage to your roof occurred before delivery, that discussion will have to be between you and your dealer. Not that it helps at this point, but for others reading this thread, roof inspection is a must for any PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by fishface View Post
          From Fishface

2023 22 MLE
          2014 Chevy Silverado
          Had a very similar leak that I noticed last year. The 2600rb has the bathroom in the rear and I was "thinking" in there during a rainstorm and heard gurgling sound coming from the corner. Looked every where for leakage inside but found none. After the trip I went up on the roof and noticed a split at almost the same spot that you describe. Likely occurred during the winter storage. Luckily no internal infiltration so water was probably running down under the metal strip and the trailer corner (not a great place either). I removed some of the sealant and filled the cavity and re-caulked joint using a little over 1/2 tube of self leveling sealant. Surprised at how much it took. Beefed up the other side and the front cap a bit as well.

No more issues. I do check the roof twice a year including a wash. When I had checked it after its storage I did not find any issues....guess I didn't look hard enough but it was just a slit so likely hard to miss. Will see what happens this April when it comes out of storage.

As indicated above, they will likely repair the trailer and seal it up for you.

Good luck.
          Pierre & Tara
          2021 Imagine 2600RB
          2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
          1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Working...
          X