Receiver hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver hitch

I have a 2018 2800BH. Is there a prefabed hitch that can be bolted or welded to the frame to put a cargo carrier on the back? I do not feel comfortable putting a receiver hitch on that bumper.

Originally posted by cmhodge82 View Post
    I have a 2018 2800BH. Is there a prefabed hitch that can be bolted or welded to the frame to put a cargo carrier on the back? I do not feel comfortable putting a receiver hitch on that bumper.
    The frame under your 2800BH was made by Lippert Components. They will be your best resource to determine what, if anything, can be safely added to the frame. They can be reached at 574-537-8900 or customerservice@lci1.com

Somewhere on your frame will be a build reference number and date. I'm not exactly sure where it is at, but if you can find it that info will be very useful to the LCI representative. Especially if you send an email.

If you get an answer please document in a follow-up post. (Thanks!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Study up on levers and G-forces before putting a cargo carrier on the back of a trailer. I've seen more than one laying in or being dragged down the road after the bar broke from bouncing around (most recently just two weeks ago). It's a "never-do" in my books.

Rob

Edit: Lippert makes a cargo carrier that comes stock on some brands of travel trailers that's a better option. It involves two attachment points extending from the main frame members on either side of the trailer. It's a completely different engineering concept and MUCH safer than the receiver type cargo carriers.
      Last edited by Second Chance; 01-17-2020, 12:21 PM.
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I suspect your 1 year warranty has expired thus having a quality hitch installed by anyone other than LCI (to not void the1 year warranty) is not a concern . Our local GDRV dealer used a local welding shop to have hitches installed. I say used because our local GDRV dealer was sold to CW. I am not aware of what our new GDRV does now......will need to find out. At the time we looked into thisa bout 6 years ago the price was about $400 here vs $800 for LCI to do so at one of their facilities.

Over the decades many hitches have been installed on all sizes and brands of RVs not only in our area but around the country. Many installed locally were/are for mainly fiver owners to pull fishing boats which is a very common thing in our area. A reputable welding shop knows what can or cannot be done given your needs/wants. This may be an option to consider as well.

With a quality hitch and the right bike rack setup (as Rob suggested) it should work well. I'm going to tag Andi as she and her husband Mike showed a number of us at the National Rally this past August, the high end bike rack that they have on their Reflection 337. They did their research as they are avid riders and will have some good information to share as well, I suspect. They are in Quartzsite, AZ now so their response may not be immediate.

Thanks, in Advance Andi and Mike !

Dan
        Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM.
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I can't comment on the hitch as our 337 came with one, but the rack we got is from 1UP-USA. Spendy and very heavy, but super easy to put bikes on/off with no adjustments needed for different bikes, like our old tray style rack. https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Andi
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS
          2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Consider moving the spare tire to under the frame to free up some weight on the bumper.
            2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Working...
            X