Best way to carry bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to carry bikes?

Hello, new to the forum. We are looking to purchase a Transcend Xplor 265BH very soon. We have 5 children and need to transport 7 bikes - yes 7! We have an Nissan NV Passenger Van so putting the bikes in the bed of a truck won’t work for us. Any advice on hauling lots of bikes? I’ve heard mixed reviews on a bumper rack. Some say never do it, some say the bumper is rated for 300# so it’s fine. Thoughts? Creative solutions?

Going to be difficult to carry that many with any rig. I’d probably look at an overhead tongue mounted rack for a couple and then a frame mounted receiver on the back of the trailer with the rest in an RV rated bike rack there.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

When we went to Utah hiking this spring we saw several vans (and of course SUVs/cars) carrying bikes on racks mounted on the roof/roof rails. I recall seeing a few with many bikes on top.....1/2 dozen +/-. You did not say that your roof is or is not a option but that certainly is a widely done option. Your van probably around 7' tall with a bike rack and add another 3 feet or so for bikes provides ample room for most anywhere you will travel.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I should’ve said the roof wasn’t a great option. We plan to put our canoes up there. Jkwilson - do you have experience with bikes on the back of the trailer? We are getting very mixed info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsteuer View Post
          Thanks for your responses! Yes, I should’ve said the roof wasn’t a great option. We plan to put our canoes up there. Jkwilson - do you have experience with bikes on the back of the trailer? We are getting very mixed info.
          On the back of my 5th wheel, yes. Frame mounted receiver and a rigid bike rack like a Swagman Dispatch or Escapee. Steer clear of bumper mounting or foldable racks. Those get you in trouble.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Jkwilson Thanks! I will pass this info along to my husband. Appreciate the responses!

Comment

Going back to basics, are you sure you have enough tow vehicle? The top end on the NV vans may show an 8,700 lb. towing capacity (properly equipped) - but that says nothing about payload which, in your case, will be critical. The trailer you are considering could put a little over 800 lbs. on the hitch loaded. Add the seven of you, all the bicycles, fuel, pets, and any other stuff, and you just might be over payload - which is a safety issue. I encourage you to look at the payload sticker on your van and get out a calculator before jumping in. The so-called towing capacity is one of the less important numbers.

Rob
              Last edited by Second Chance; 01-17-2020, 07:52 PM.
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Hello, new to the forum. We are looking to purchase a Transcend Xplor 265BH very soon. We have 5 children and need to transport 7 bikes - yes 7! We have an Nissan NV Passenger Van so putting the bikes in the bed of a truck won’t work for us. Any advice on hauling lots of bikes? I’ve heard mixed reviews on a bumper rack. Some say never do it, some say the bumper is rated for 300# so it’s fine. Thoughts? Creative solutions?
                If you visit enough forums or Facebook pages that discuss towing, and in this case Grand Design RVs, inevitably someone will bring up the "tow police". This is a sarcastic term leveled at individuals taking the time to make sure the original poster ("OP") truly understands what they are doing.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way by having to buy not one, but two trucks--you want to get it right. Getting it wrong is not fun on the wallet.

This related post, https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...=9226#post9226, has a lot of information in it. As Second Chance Rob mentioned, please double-check all the math to ensure you are keeping yourself and that (beautiful!) family of yours safe.

Don't hesitate to come back and ask more questions. If you're unfamiliar with all the intricacies of figuring out a tow vehicle there are lots of people here with many, many years of experience. (Do I have to say don't trust what the RV salesman tells you? There are a few outstanding dealerships that make sure you're safe, but there's many more that will sell you anything on the lot and will say "sure you can tow that!".)

-Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Howard and Rob for the very helpful info! We did have the Nissan dealer run our VIN to make sure we had correct numbers to calculate. My husband put the numbers to the test and it checked out ok. I really do appreciate the resources you listed and your concern. Thank you so much!

Comment

How about a front mounted receiver hitch on the van?

I use one on the front of my RAM for bikes and carry kayaks on the roof rack.
                    Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

Thank you Howard and Rob for the very helpful info! We did have the Nissan dealer run our VIN to make sure we had correct numbers to calculate. My husband put the numbers to the test and it checked out ok. I really do appreciate the resources you listed and your concern. Thank you so much!
                      You are most welcome.

To your specific question, a tongue bike rack can take care of two of the bikes. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC429756.html

I highly discourage using the ladder on the RV for bikes--not what it is designed to do. (You'll have to add the ladder as an option since the camper doesn't come with one--you'll want it!)

Another possibility is getting "folding" bikes for the two adults and putting them in the camper during transit.

It's unfortunate the camper doesn't appear to have a 2" receiver on the back. You don't want to hang bikes off of the "bumper" of the RV.

I'm not trying to discourage you! Just pointing out the limitations so you go in with "eyes wide open".
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

What trailer? Imagine bumpers are rated for 150#, others go to 300#. On our Imagine I moved the spare tire to under the frame and put a mount for my generator on the rear bumper.
                        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by mbopp View Post
                          What trailer? Imagine bumpers are rated for 150#, others go to 300#. On our Imagine I moved the spare tire to under the frame and put a mount for my generator on the rear bumper.
                          Post #1--a Transcend Xplor 265BH. My comments were based on this video:

Comment

Its always a good idea to check with the bike rack manufacturer as well. I checked with Thule and they denied the use of our bike rack on the back of our Imagine. May have came up with a bumper or frame solution but having to buy another expensive bike rack was too much. So I haul them in the back of the truck with moving blankets. Not the best method for sure.

Also keep in mind the bumper is not very strong at all in its current state.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the super helpful advice. I think the plan is to put two bikes above the tongue jack and do a frame mounted receiver hitch on the front of the van for some and then put some inside the camper or van. I really appreciate you all taking time to help us think through this and all the “eyes wide open” thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X