Wheel Well Armoring Reflection 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Well Armoring Reflection 220RK

Before installing the new axles I thought I would install the 1/8" aluminum plate over the tires. Securing with #10 3/4" square drive SS sheet metal screws
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497s.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	110903 Its fighting me. I took careful measurements, but finding the frame and floor supports are not true and square. I should have made a cardboard template first.. Will do that for the other side. The back edge is notched for the frame web plates and web stiffeners that were done for the frame fix. Perimeter screws will be into metal. I plan to use some sort of sealant to help hold it in place and seal the edges from water intrusion.

Name:	IMG_1498s.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	110904
    This makes it bearable on my back - worst part is getting my fat hiney into it. Would make for a great video.

BTW Aluminum plate is expensive here . I think I paid close to $13/SF I chose it over steel as it is easier to work with and lighter.

More to come as I get the parts installed

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda

Keith,

I did not seal the perimeter of my plates, I only dipped the screws in clear silicone before installing. My reason is if there is any water intrusion that may occur if the sealant does not seal then it may get trapped in between the plate and the underside of the rv, not good in my opinion. I would rather leave the perimeter open to allow any air circulation that might be possible.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Per discussion in this previous thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...rmoring-take-2 . . . I also did not seal around the plate for the same reason described by Country Campers Brian.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

OK no sealant around the edges. Would a few blobs to hold it in place be OK - kind of like sticking a mirror to the wall?
        Thanks for the help

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          OK no sealant around the edges. Would a few blobs to hold it in place be OK - kind of like sticking a mirror to the wall?
          Thanks for the help

Keith
          Yep that would be fine. Place the "blobs" on the holes then it will double as sealing the screws.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What a day

I finally got one panel in, The #10 and #12 ss screws I have will not work on the frame flange. I tried numerous pilot bits, but either he screw threads striped or the hole threads, The feame was the only area of the problem.In the field and along the bottom wall edge (aluminum wood filled) the #12 was perfect.

So what did I do along the Frame. I drilled and taped for 1/4 by 20 hex bolts I have for the chloroplast install. I tried using the following but it snapped whiten seconds, jamming the hole https://www.zoro.com/greenlee-drillt...2FTAP,1%2F4-20.

However I used two of my new tools
            For holding the 1/4 tap I have, but fit tight against the frame these worked very well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            also to drill against the frame web up in the tight space I loved this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You just need to use hex shank drill bits - speaking of which I broke a few - any good brands out there besides HF and Makita?

I used a few black silicone dabs around each mounting hole and in the screw holes before installing the fasteners. Darn that stuff is messy. However after the plate was in I did calk the back and side edges against the frame and floor trusses, but left the front edge open.. Ill get a picture tomorrow. I learned a lot on this first one, so hope the rest go better.

Now for a stiff cold one

Keith

Comment

Well...you know what they say.."Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Well today was better. Dang is the frame flange hard to drill. I found a very tough spot for som reason, and the other two were easire. Got the second panel passenger side. Undernrath I seal areound each hole and up top the back and side seam leaving front clear for drainage.

Name:	IMG_1499s.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	111042 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502s.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	111043
                Second panel is in place. # bolts along back edge and 4 #12 on front into the aluminum (wood filled) edge channel.

Name:	IMG_1500s.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	111044 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1501s.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	111045

This was the first panel I installed a few day ago. I had to notch it around some repair plats and a web stiffener. As this in is longer I used 4 1/4 by 20 bolts tapped into the flange, with 4-#12 in the fiels into the luwan and 4 -#12 on the front edge again into the aluminum framing. Only the back edge and sides were sealed.

Now to the other side - first step will be templates - I just hope it is warmer and winds less than 25 mph

And now to clean the black silicone off me

Keith

Comment

When I did mine I found the same problem trying to drill into the flanges I test fit my plates to make sure they slid into place and then caulked the edges and a strip in the middle and then put them in place. I also predrilled about every 4 inches. It was not easy the way that I went about doing it mainly because my axles and tires were not removed. The way you did it was the better plan for sure, for me it couldn’t wait until I had to replace springs, especially after seeing what it did to my floor board when I had a blowout.
                  2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Well it's done RE-routing the slide cable was a bit tough, but I managed t find enough slack to tuck it against the frame and floor brace somewhat out of harms way. However I now need to repair the fender skirt. I snagged it with my shirt getting up, broke two mounting holes out. - just one more thing to fix.

Name:	IMG_1513s.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	111547 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512s.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	111548
                    Rear street side panel in place. Front lip matches slide wiper seal. !/4 by 20 bolts in the frame, #12 SS square drive screws in field and along front edge. As my reflection has the sandwiched floor the field screws are strictly into the luawn. The front edge screws are into the outer aluminum wood filed floor member, Floor is over 1" thick so I used a max 3/4" bolt and screw length . Note - check your flooring thickness before you do this.on other models as some have solid plywood floors.

Name:	IMG_1516s.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	111549 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517s.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	111550
                    This got messy. I covered the slide wiring with plastic loom and then secured it with stick on mounting squares and zip ties.. I also glued it into the corner with black silicone. I refilled the holes the slide wiring penetrates as the factory did.

Name:	IMG_1518s.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	111551
                    Pool noodles come in handy. I cut a notched puck from an old one I had to fill the hole. Its siliconed in place.. BTW - The pink glow is from the pool noodle on the ground reflecting the sun.

All that is left is redoing some of the GD sealant foam I removed to get the plates in place. This was door side along the skirting and wall, above the floor. You can see it in some of the photos.

Last I may paint everything black to match and help seal the screw heads - Thinking of using the Gorilla flex seal in black. Thoughts? I have some on hamd

Again if I missed anything or if I should change anything, please let me know

Thanks
                    Keith

Now to secure the water tank before I get the axles in.

Comment

Yoda
                      This “insurance work” means that you will never have a blown tire .
                      Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Yoda
                        This “insurance work” means that you will never have a blown tire .
                        Rob
                        LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X