Exterior Finish Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Finish Care

We have a 2021 Reflection 150 278BH. My brother-in-law strongly recommended using Rejex on the front of the fifth wheel before taking any trip. I did that and then applied Rejex to the whole rig the next Spring before heading out. Rejex goes on easily enough, but buffing it out was not as easy as the container suggested. I watched a video of a guy polishing the surfaces before applying Rejex, but his rig was a Class A with full gelcoat and no decals. I read through some posts on the Wash/Wax/All product and it looks interesting. My question is whether or not Rejex is worth the effort and would power polishing or buffing of non-decal surfaces make the process easier?

There are a few on here that have had issues with oxidation followed by hours of buffing, they did not use Rejex though that I am aware of, Cate&Rob , TucsonJim have done their fair share recently. Outdoors in the sun for extended periods will cause the oxidation and ruin decals. I do not think there is a product that can stop this. Inside storage is one thing that can help. I just use a general car wash/wax soap from Walmart or similar but I do hand wax a couple times a year. The front gets cleaned and waxed often, I despise bugs and the joy they create on the front cap.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

As Country Campers Brian mentions . . . I have done my share of compounding the exterior of our 8 year old Reflection. I am not familiar with Rejex. When we purchased, the dealer talked me into Diamond Kote paint protection. This worked well for about 6 years and then began to oxidize. It was "theoretically" still under their limited warranty, but I decided to buff it off myself. That was a chore! I used Meguiar's Oxidation Remover. Then I tried the easy way out . . . Wash/Wax . . . that was easy to apply but minor oxidation began to reappear shortly after applying. Wash/Wax may work on a new surface but did not do much for a compounded and buffed surface. Round 2 (just completed) . . . this time with Meguiar's Combination Oxidation Remover & Wax. This time the buffing was relatively easy (since the Diamond Kote was already gone).

This trailer has lived outside its entire life. Summers in the Canadian sun and winters in the Florida sun. The decals are deteriorating which seems to be normal. Some say that 303 spray will protect your decals, but it would be a tedious process to wax between the decals and spray the decals. I have found that Meguiar's products are widely available, easy to use and seem to be safe for decals.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Why not 303 the entire thing? Just curious, because that’s what I’m seriously considering doing when that time comes for us to do ours. I’ve applied 303 to our entire Lowe FM165 aluminum boat. Use it on our hot tub cover, I am a big fan of the stuff and have been for years.
        Craig & Theresa
        2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
        New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

cnote72

An interesting read on what 303 is good for. Note that it dries to a matte finish (according to the manufacturer). https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ce-protectant/

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I bought some Turtle Wax Ceramic coating for my truck, but after reading the reviews, I am considering using it on the TT. Ceramic coatings use silica gel (SiO2=silica) which is the ceramic part of the surface treatment that bonds to paint and other surfaces more effectively than regular wax. What intrigues me is it’s claim that it can be used on all surfaces. I have pasted a link to a review of this product below. The article tested this product on different surfaces and notes that plastic surfaces (decals?) were darker and more reflective, but perhaps that would be the case with any normal wax. Technically the surface prep is extensive if a licensed detailed applies a ceramic coating to your car paint/clear coat, but the Turtle wax product is aimed at the homeowner market.

https://www.ceramiccoatexpert.com/po...-spray-coating

Tim
            Tim & Beth
            2022 Transcend Xplor 265BH
            2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Tow Pkg

Comment

I appreciate all the comments. I share Brian's concern for bugs on the front cap. I also have to keep cleaning the lower portion just behind the truck for tar and bugs. I may look into mud flaps.

I can comment on 303 Protectant. I use it on a Roll N Lock tonneau cover. It has a vinyl top with aluminum slats underneath. I am supposed to treat the vinyl monthly. The 303 bottle says it lasts 3 to 5 weeks, so monthly. Admittedly I do not apply the 303 monthly, but want something for the fifth wheel that will last longer. 303 is certainly easy to apply. It may be good for all of the plastic window molding and rubber gaskets around the fifth wheel.

The Rejex bottle says it will last 6 months or longer. Given the buffing required, it probably does leave a harder layer over the paint and gelcoat. I may try some power buffing on areas without decals. I am also interested in the Meguiar's products. I have not heard about them before. Looks like time to experiment and see what works best.

Again, thanks for the comments. I will give an update when I get through the spring cleanup.

Dave

Comment

Brian

I see that you installed 800 watts of solar with a Victron Multiplus 2. Was the install difficult and how is your system working? I recently installed 400 watts of solar with a Victron controller and 1200 watt inverter. The inverter is wired to power the fridge while on the road. The solar panels are in series, so the controller takes in 24 volt power and charges the batteries at 12 volts. Excellent controller.
                Thanks,
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlerDave View Post
                  Brian

I see that you installed 800 watts of solar with a Victron Multiplus 2. Was the install difficult and how is your system working? I recently installed 400 watts of solar with a Victron controller and 1200 watt inverter. The inverter is wired to power the fridge while on the road. The solar panels are in series, so the controller takes in 24 volt power and charges the batteries at 12 volts. Excellent controller.
                  Thanks,
                  Dave
                  PaddlerDave Not to derail your original thread, but that sounds exactly what I want to do. Don't need to go full solar, just something big enough to get and keep the fridge cold.
                  Craig & Theresa
                  2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
                  New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

Originally posted by NerkGDguy View Post
                    I bought some Turtle Wax Ceramic coating for my truck, but after reading the reviews, I am considering using it on the TT. Ceramic coatings use silica gel (SiO2=silica) which is the ceramic part of the surface treatment that bonds to paint and other surfaces more effectively than regular wax. What intrigues me is it’s claim that it can be used on all surfaces. I have pasted a link to a review of this product below. The article tested this product on different surfaces and notes that plastic surfaces (decals?) were darker and more reflective, but perhaps that would be the case with any normal wax. Technically the surface prep is extensive if a licensed detailed applies a ceramic coating to your car paint/clear coat, but the Turtle wax product is aimed at the homeowner market.

https://www.ceramiccoatexpert.com/po...-spray-coating

Tim
                    I have heard that Turtle Wax spray-on ceramic coating should not be used on RV's with a fiberglass exterior. I believe the instructions say for use on "metal, plastic, glass, and painted surfaces." Fiberglass is not one of these surfaces.
                    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

PaddlerDave see Solar Install, Reflection 29RS Fifth Wheel - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com) Any questions please let me know.​

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think I read it on here about Aero Cosmetics

https://washwax.com

I bought the Wet Wash Shampoo and use it on the truck and 337. Its amazing how many suds are in the bottom of the bucket. I have used the Wash Wax all on the truck and recently purchased the Wax All Ceramic and haven’t had time to apply it to our 337

Found discussion

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...wax-my-imagine
                        Last edited by Jay HHI6818; 05-01-2023, 08:24 PM.
                        Jay & Patty Wallace
                        2023 Reflection 337 RLS
                        2022 Silverado 3500 HD High Country Duramax 6.6L Allison 10 SP

Comment

Originally posted by Jay HHI6818 View Post
                          I think I read it on here about Aero Cosmetics

https://washwax.com

I bought the Wet Wash Shampoo and use it on the truck and 337. Its amazing how many suds are in the bottom of the bucket. I have used the Wash Wax all on the truck and recently purchased the Wax All Ceramic and haven’t had time to apply it to our 337

Found discussion

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...wax-my-imagine
                          Once you apply the Ceramic I like to know your thoughts if you don’t mind!
                          Scott & Mikaela
                          2022 375 RES
                          2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Sandridge4

Sorry for not posting sooner. Applied Aero Cosmetics Wax All Ceramic on our 337. Really like how easy it is to apply and water sure beads up
                            Jay & Patty Wallace
                            2023 Reflection 337 RLS
                            2022 Silverado 3500 HD High Country Duramax 6.6L Allison 10 SP

Comment

Originally posted by Jay HHI6818 View Post
                              Sandridge4

Sorry for not posting sooner. Applied Aero Cosmetics Wax All Ceramic on our 337. Really like how easy it is to apply and water sure beads up
                              Thanks Jay!! Do you like it better than the regular wash wax all?
                              Scott & Mikaela
                              2022 375 RES
                              2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Working...
                              X