Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof mount Starlink

Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased a GD Solitude 37FB. She purchased a Starlink system to work from home. I would like to mount the base to the roof. Can I just mount the legs (4 of them) on small pads and attach with wood screws to the roof? I would seal the mounting surfaces , of course.

TnTajaz

Yes you can just do that or you could take the route seen here Starlink Port Installation - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​. No holes in the roof but maybe a hole in a side wall.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Not personal experience, just an observation. Seen many rigs with roof mount dishes that could not get a signal due to the trees about their space. Been in some parks where ground supported (tripod) dishes had the same problem. Might want to consider a mounting system with flexibility in direction, elevation, and maybe even location in relationship to the trailer.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I've been looking into options for mounting. My goals:
          * flat mounted on roof normally.
          * easily removable for ground deploy as needed.

I found one solution someone is making and selling, which actually looks pretty slick (but expensive). It's a enclosed flat mount box, with the starlink stand and a cable winder stored inside. You have to do the pole motor switch which is pretty straightforward. You can use it flat mounted, you can pick it up and connect it to the stand where it is to get directional gain, or you can take it and the stand off the roof and use it ground mount (with the cable running off the roof). Intriguing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/star...15040426698534

Alternatively, I'm looking at a simple frame to flat mount it with a waterproof plug, and the ability to easily take it down and plug it into a 2nd waterproof connector for ground mount.
          Mark & Kim Donnell
          Donnells On The Road!
          Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
          '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
          Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
          https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

I use the FlagPole Buddy mount on my ladder, its expensive but allows me to install and remove it without going on the roof, and still allows me to use the stock tripod if I need to pull it out away from the rig to get signal. I modified my cable to RJ45 connectors so I could add or remove length as needed. Works great so far.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro, I've copied your use of the Flagpole Buddy for our Wingard G3, we got the satellite dish support kit, but now I'm obsessing over at what predicted wind gust to take the dish down for. Nothing in the printed manuals from Flagpole Buddy or Wingard (with respect to this installation). Any thoughts?
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694 - John - There were several owners at the Quarzsite GDRV rally last year using the Flagpole Buddy for their StarLink set ups. We had a storm come through one night with 72 mph wind gusts. No one took theirs down, and there was no damage reported. I'd be more concerned about the rig blowing over before the Starlink set up did. BTW, I use the Flagpole Buddy with Starlink on my Solitude.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have never taken mine down, but I do not have it set very high. It is basically just above the ladder, so the moment arm does not flex very much on mine.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I found a ladder mount on Amazon that works great. I considered the flagpole mounting solutions but decided to keep it small and simple. I just climb halfway up the ladder and my wife hands Dishy up to me.

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	126527
                    Attached Files
                    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                    2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      BTW, I use the Flagpole Buddy with Starlink on my Solitude.

Jim
                      Did you do the 12vdc conversion for the dishy?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        Did you do the 12vdc conversion for the dishy?
                        I removed my Starlink router and power supply and it now runs off of 12v and goes directly from the dish into my router. I think Jim runs his stock.

Neil Citro

Comment

I cheaped out and bought the Harbour Freight Telescoping flag pole, some u bolts and a Starlink 3D printed adapter for the end of the flagpole. All done for about $130 with tax.

I leave the pole attached to the ladder and remove the Starlink antenna when moving. I leave the router in my pass through storage and have coverage in the entire Rv and and signal for a tv streaming outside.

Harbor Freight Flagpole - $89.99
                          https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-...kit-64342.html

Pipe Adapter $10.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

U bolts $17.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eddie & Kathy
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL
                          2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                          Houston, TX

Comment

We've seen a lot of rigs leaving campgrounds with their antenna still up on the flag pole buddy. I'm not sure I'd want to press my luck on interstate travel in windy conditions. Totally surprised at the number of people who depart with the antenna still up.
                            2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                            2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Up here, where there are usually lots of tall trees around your trailer, most dishy's seem to be placed on a picnic table.
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                              X