Rusty screws on slide roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty screws on slide roof

I am new to the forum and we will see if I figured out how to post …

I am the original owner of a 2018 Solitude 384GK and recently realized that all the screws under the white tape on the outside edge of one of my slides roof were rusted from screw head to tip ... on a couple, the head broke off when I tried to extracted them. We are full timers and constantly monitor the inside moisture and when necessary use a dehumidifier. I carefully inspected the white tape and could see no place where the seal might be compromised. I removed the #8 screws, forced silicone into the hole, and then replaced the screw with #10. I then thoroughly cleaned the existing 3" wide white tape and put a second layer of 4" tape. I contacted Grand Design service and got a very lame reply. The respondent suggested that I seemed to have properly dealt with the problem but offered no answer to my original question ... "What might be the cause of this issue and does this suggest I have bigger problems with my slides?". Even after a follow up email with the respondent I was no smarter but certainly more frustrated. We do pay really money for their products.

I have also replaced (in the same manner ,,, silicone/#10) all the side screws on that slide and plan to inspect the other slides this summer.

This is the first time I have contacted GD Service ... is this a typical response?

Has anyone had a similar issue with rusty screws and/or knowledge of what might be the cause.

Thanks so much.

Wilbur Lang
    2018 Solitude 384GK
    2019 F350

It sounds like there was moisture under the tape and it wicked into the screw hole. I have seen this on other areas of my trailers and the solution is exactly what you did. I have spent countless hours sealing screws on several trailers over the years.
    Realistically the response from GD is not surprising in that the trailer is 5 yrs old and has been out of their control for that time and out of warranty for at least 4yrs. Unfortunately issues like this come up on almost any trailer. Fortunately you were able to deal with the issue.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by LangWilbur View Post
      I am new to the forum and we will see if I figured out how to post …

I am the original owner of a 2018 Solitude 384GK and recently realized that all the screws under the white tape on the outside edge of one of my slides roof were rusted from screw head to tip ... on a couple, the head broke off when I tried to extracted them. We are full timers and constantly monitor the inside moisture and when necessary use a dehumidifier. I carefully inspected the white tape and could see no place where the seal might be compromised. I removed the #8 screws, forced silicone into the hole, and then replaced the screw with #10. I then thoroughly cleaned the existing 3" wide white tape and put a second layer of 4" tape. I contacted Grand Design service and got a very lame reply. The respondent suggested that I seemed to have properly dealt with the problem but offered no answer to my original question ... "What might be the cause of this issue and does this suggest I have bigger problems with my slides?". Even after a follow up email with the respondent I was no smarter but certainly more frustrated. We do pay really money for their products.

I have also replaced (in the same manner ,,, silicone/#10) all the side screws on that slide and plan to inspect the other slides this summer.

This is the first time I have contacted GD Service ... is this a typical response?

Has anyone had a similar issue with rusty screws and/or knowledge of what might be the cause.

Thanks so much.

Not uncommon. In fact, I'll go so far as to state every rig made has the same issue. Every single screw I've removed from my trailer shows evidence of rust.

If you haven't come across Jared Gillis' videos, a good introduction is 5 Ways to Extend the Life of Your RV at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6XU_pDslU The section about the roof gutter screws was new to me, and sure enough my '19 had issues (which I've since dealt with...and learned a lot along the way!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	104
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	111833

Welcome to the forum!

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X