Tips for Roof Maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Roof Maintenance?

RV has a Superflex roof membrane system, have read the owners manual and do regular cleaning and inspections. This year I'm going to touch up some of the sealant, particularly where the front cap meets the membrane as it's starting to show some signs of deterioration.
    Normally wash the roof with Dawn dish soap but the manual suggests cleaning the sealant with Top Job or Spic-N-Span with a medium bristle brush and leaving the existing sealant in place if it doesn't come loose by hand and applying the new over it.

Superflex website has good info, and watching YouTube there are way too many opinions, tips, and tricks on how to do this correctly, though the one about applying tape on both sides of the seam to be sealed seems decent.
    Looking for input from others who've tackled touching up the roof sealant for things the owners manual or mfr. website might not tell me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

TheNescios (Chris),
    My routine is similar to what you're doing. Only thing I don't see in your post is cleaning the specific area where the new sealant will be applied with alcohol. (You know, the cleaning type not the drinking stuff!)

I shy away from using Eternabond as getting it off (should that be required) is much more labor intensive than just removing sealant.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm in agreement with Howard (and GDRV). Use sealant where it already exists, and not EternaBond tape. It's a real bear to remove if needed in the future.

JIm
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        TheNescios (Chris),
        My routine is similar to what you're doing. Only thing I don't see in your post is cleaning the specific area where the new sealant will be applied with alcohol. (You know, the cleaning type not the drinking stuff!)

I shy away from using Eternabond as getting it off (should that be required) is much more labor intensive than just removing sealant.

Howard
        Hi,

I usually defer to Howard and Jim who have great expertise, but I have used Eternabond since 2005 with no problems, no maintenance and no leaks (on two different RVs). I agree it is there permanently, but when would you need to remove it?

Best,

Charles
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

Hi,

I usually defer to Howard and Jim who have great expertise, but I have used Eternabond since 2005 with no problems, no maintenance and no leaks (on two different RVs). I agree it is there permanently, but when would you need to remove it?

Best,

Charles
          Charles - There are many instances where the front cap may need to be pulled foward for a repair, and having E-tape may cause a significant amount of added labor. For example, let's say a wall delaminates and needs to be removed. In order to do so, the front cap must be moved forward and the roofing material rolled back. Tape can add a lot more work and risk damaging the roofing material if it doesn't release during the removal. You'd be surprised how many rigs we saw at the factory service center this week where the front cap needed to be pulled forward. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for the technician to have to deal with tape that won't come loose.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Charles - There are many instances where the front cap may need to be pulled foward for a repair, and having E-tape may cause a significant amount of added labor. For example, let's say a wall delaminates and needs to be removed. In order to do so, the front cap must be moved forward and the roofing material rolled back. Tape can add a lot more work and risk damaging the roofing material if it doesn't release during the removal. You'd be surprised how many rigs we saw at the factory service center this week where the front cap needed to be pulled forward. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for the technician to have to deal with tape that won't come loose.

Jim
            Thanks, Jim for a good explanation. I am going to live with this because I have Eternabond tape on both front and rear caps. I want to say you and Howard are a great asset for Grand Design and all the owners.

Charles
            2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Apologies for the delay getting back to the site - life has been extremely full lately.
              The tape I saw online was more along the lines of a painters tape to help keep the new sealant in a semi-uniform alignment and the person who posted the suggestion said to remove the tape before the sealant sets up.
              Based on what I've read and comments by both Jim & Howard think the best idea is to save the tape for emergencies only.
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
              X