Overall Length 310GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Length 310GK

Over the winter I purchased a recreation property with a new shop of 36', 16' ceiling height with 14' overhead doors. It was very critical my 310 GK would fit inside for off season storage. The RV was stored in a non access location so I could not measure the length myself. Searching spec's I found exterior length published @ 34'11", I used this dimension when purchasing the unit new last season as I wanted to stay under 35'.

Wanting to be absolutely certain of the overall length I learned that sometimes these spec's do not included ladders & front hitch. I called GD customer service & was told 35'10", that seemed realistic based on published 34'11".

Talking possession of this property I had the fifth backed up to the door, we could not back in the building for other reasons. Standing back looking & sizing up the lengths I became concerned, getting out the tape measure & making careful measurements a couple of times. My measured length outside to outside including the ladder is 442" or 36'10".

Normally you would be pleased your fifth wheel is bigger than advertised. If my 310 GK was not 1 year old, I would probably consider making a change. We have personalized the rig & the current market conditions eliminates any idea of replacing the rig. The money that would cost will go towards modifying the building.

I thought I would post this in case someone in the future needs to know this dimension & to be careful of what is published.
    2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
    2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

It is also worth noting that buildings as well as houses, are measured from the outside of the structure foot print. My building is 34' x 44' which is outside and yields about 33' x 43' inside with 2" x 6" wall studs.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post
      Over the winter I purchased a recreation property with a new shop of 36', 16' ceiling height with 14' overhead doors. It was very critical my 310 GK would fit inside for off season storage. The RV was stored in a non access location so I could not measure the length myself. Searching spec's I found exterior length published @ 34'11", I used this dimension when purchasing the unit new last season as I wanted to stay under 35'.

Wanting to be absolutely certain of the overall length I learned that sometimes these spec's do not included ladders & front hitch. I called GD customer service & was told 35'10", that seemed realistic based on published 34'11".

Talking possession of this property I had the fifth backed up to the door, we could not back in the building for other reasons. Standing back looking & sizing up the lengths I became concerned, getting out the tape measure & making careful measurements a couple of times. My measured length outside to outside including the ladder is 442" or 36'10".

Normally you would be pleased your fifth wheel is bigger than advertised. If my 310 GK was not 1 year old, I would probably consider making a change. We have personalized the rig & the current market conditions eliminates any idea of replacing the rig. The money that would cost will go towards modifying the building.

I thought I would post this in case someone in the future needs to know this dimension & to be careful of what is published.
      Is you building metal or wood? Either should be easy to extend, especially metal. Also double check the building door hardware as they can intrude into the building space and can reduce headroom.
      either way should be an easy fix to extend the back wall out without needing to modify the main support structure.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Is you building metal or wood? Either should be easy to extend, especially metal. Also double check the building door hardware as they can intrude into the building space and can reduce headroom.
        either way should be an easy fix to extend the back wall out without needing to modify the main support structure.
        It's a wood building, the wall is supporting for the roof trusses. laminate header is needed, very high snow load. Concrete grade beam on top of the footing will have to be cut, main water lines in the way. Overhead doors are of industrial quality & installed very nicely so no intrusion.

The exterior is finished, so that adds to the project. Some electrical is in the way as well.

We are going to try for 18", that will keep it just under the 24" eve. Planning to remove the rear fifth wheel ladder, I've found some couplers so hopefully I can cut the ladder & install these sleeves. I do not want to remove the ladder were it is sealed to roof.

It's doable & I've identified a contractor that has proposed the building solutions........not an easy fix in my mind.
        2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
        2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post

Dale---sorry to hear that. I went through that same journey last year when I spec'd a new RV carport for my camper on my property. I knew I wanted a smaller camper but chose to build my building for the current larger Keystone Montana that I had. I also wanted to ensure that my building was longer than I needed and wide enough to open the slides and work in there if I desired. This includes ensuring it was tall enough for me to get on the roof and work on the solar, AC units, vents, and roof. Now that we downsized campers....I have about 12' of additional length and the 14' width works perfect to open the slides and maneuver around the unit. Hope you can get your mods done quickly and reasonably. I love having my camper covered all year round. I noticed yesterday how much cleaner it stays inside as well. Good luck!

Dave
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

Dale---sorry to hear that. I went through that same journey last year when I spec'd a new RV carport for my camper on my property. I knew I wanted a smaller camper but chose to build my building for the current larger Keystone Montana that I had. I also wanted to ensure that my building was longer than I needed and wide enough to open the slides and work in there if I desired. This includes ensuring it was tall enough for me to get on the roof and work on the solar, AC units, vents, and roof. Now that we downsized campers....I have about 12' of additional length and the 14' width works perfect to open the slides and maneuver around the unit. Hope you can get your mods done quickly and reasonably. I love having my camper covered all year round. I noticed yesterday how much cleaner it stays inside as well. Good luck!

Dave
            Tx's for that ๐Ÿ˜Ž I'm fussy about details. Your absolutely correct insuring you have room to open the slides, I plan to use this in the winter on occasion for recreation purpose. The spec for height is 13'.5", there is a legal issue with that so I have not double checked. My inside building is 16' & I have double checked overhead doors, most likely no roof access when parked inside.

I've always stored my RV's inside during the winter, we have high snow load & I'm trying to save wear & tear on the roof. You are so right when opening up after inside storage the minimal clean up need to get the season underway.

Bonus with this building is the floor sump/drain is right underneath the fifth wheel. The previous owner also with an RV added a connection inside the sump/drain to the septic system ๐Ÿ˜Š

It took us two years to decide on our 310GK, then we purchased last year @ the peak of insanity...ugh! We had been evacuated by fires the previous summer which pushed us to make the 310GK purchase decision.....as an alternate home. So the falling RV market, we like our 310GK I decided not to downsize & instead modify this building.

I knew I was in for building modification's to accommodate the RV, I even expected the overall length measurements to be different.....hoping for inches not feet.
            2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Working...
            X