Watch for low hanging branches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch for low hanging branches

Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park has many low hanging branches along the 100+ mile road. The first 50 miles I successfully dodged the branches. However, on the way out, I hit a branch hard enough that we heard it in the truck with windows closed and my daughters annoying music playing.

"we need to check the roof when we get to camp tonight" my wife and I both said. That night we forgot to check. That night it rained hard. That night we had water leaking into the bathroom from the sky light..

Result of the "hit":

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	112452

Maxxair fan directly behind the skylight and the 4 solar panels directly behind the Maxxair fan took no damage.

The height of that skylight cover is about 12'. If y'all drive Skyline Drive or Blueridge parkway, make sure you miss the low hanging branches
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Yikes. That sux.
    It also looks surprisingly fragile.

We drove the blue ridge pky years ago. Nice drive. No tree issues back then.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Sorry about that! But Skyline drive is awesome! Not too far from me, I usually visit around visit around times/year.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Beautiful drive through this area. If the broken skylight is the price to pay for the views we've had, I'll gladly pay it.

This is where Camping World is helpful. They usually have more parts on hand than any other RV store. Found one in Roanoke and they came through with a polycarbonate replacement. Today it will be replaced before we head to Great Smokey Mountain National Park tomorrow.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Glad you are able to get the skylight fixed.

Toot your horn on the way by, we are just outside Pigeon Forge.
          I gree on the beautiful views, we have seen plenty so far.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

All fixed, That Alpha sealant is always a real pain to work with - especially when its not warm outside....and they didn't have white, so beige won.

Name:	fixed.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	112503
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
              Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park has many low hanging branches along the 100+ mile road. The first 50 miles I successfully dodged the branches. However, on the way out, I hit a branch hard enough that we heard it in the truck with windows closed and my daughters annoying music playing.

"we need to check the roof when we get to camp tonight" my wife and I both said. That night we forgot to check. That night it rained hard. That night we had water leaking into the bathroom from the sky light..

Result of the "hit":

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	112452

Maxxair fan directly behind the skylight and the 4 solar panels directly behind the Maxxair fan took no damage.

The height of that skylight cover is about 12'. If y'all drive Skyline Drive or Blueridge parkway, make sure you miss the low hanging branches
              Its only cracked a little - a few rolls of the handyman secrete weapon will fix you right up, or a case of self leveling sealant . I cant tell did you seal the inner cover or get a new exterior cover? For campgrounds I carry a height measuring stick and measure if in doubt.
              Sorry for your troubles

BTW my old tow vehicle had a roof mounted antenna (CB-10M) if it hit something I knew it was close as it extended about 1 foot over the trailer high point. I miss having that with the new TV.. Decided not to reinstall the old radio. I was thinking of using a high brake light mount antenna bracket (example https://bulletproofdiesel.com/collec...0201129_ranger) and installing a dummy antenna as a height warning.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Its only cracked a little - a few rolls of the handyman secrete weapon will fix you right up, or a case of self leveling sealant . I cant tell did you seal the inner cover or get a new exterior cover? For campgrounds I carry a height measuring stick and measure if in doubt.
                Sorry for your troubles

BTW my old tow vehicle had a roof mounted antenna (CB-10M) if it hit something I knew it was close as it extended about 1 foot over the trailer high point. I miss having that with the new TV.. Decided not to reinstall the old radio. I was thinking of using a high brake light mount antenna bracket (example https://bulletproofdiesel.com/collec...0201129_ranger) and installing a dummy antenna as a height warning.

Keith
                That is a new outer. It's an ICON low profile outer. It doesn't work with our current inner skylight, so I will have to get the low profile ICON inner as well when we gt home.

Having a stick is not a bad idea. However we were going about 40 mph when I hit the branch so the stick whouln't have been much help :(. Left a good scuff mark on the MAXX air fan directly behind the skylight, but didn't break it. THe new skylight is polycarbonate. Should be able to take a blow
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                X