Front cap graphic or paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front cap graphic or paint?

Moderator note: don't miss Superduty 's excellent information in post 5 regarding the cap paint. His post is why this thread is tagged with Reference Material. -Howard

Before I left for my summer trip I washed and waxed my RV and noticed this discoloration on top of front cap. Upon further examination noticed what looks to me like oxidation and tried to remove a bit with a green pad in a very small area to see if it would come off. Some does but I did not want to damage any further. Finished cleaning and added some 303 to that area after wash wax all application. I looked at parts page but don’t see that the black portion is offered as a decal. I also contacted GD by email but they don’t get back to me.

Any idea of what this could be, how to make it look better? Knowing if vinyl or paint would help. Will deal with it when I get back in the fall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2495.jpg Views:	50 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	112642

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995_Original.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	112754
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 05-22-2023, 12:13 AM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Vivian, that almost looks like clear gel coat or mold release wax that is starting to break free. I would think more along the lines of clear gel as mold release wax will pull off in sheets (normally).
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Joseph, so that black area is actually paint not a giant black decal?? I wonder if I can use some of that meguiers polish to remove it…
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian, Depending on how the front cap is made (remember fiberglass if molded from the visible side out), the various colors could be colored gel coat. Notice how the colors do not have a visible edge but seem to be one continuous layer? Typical fiberglass component like a boat or camper front cap are laid down as 1 - clear outer gel coat, 2 - various "color coats" including striping and other aesthetics, 3 - fiberglass by "Chop gun" or layers of sheet glass fibers.

Fine details like wording are generally decals as one MFG of caps may sell the same design to various brands, and even then 1 brand may use the cap on any number of models.

Gel is not really a Paint, it's more of a resin pigment color. It comes in RAL colors just like paint and is repairable by painting. Worst case you could have the front cap finished in either clear GEL or Automotive Clear coat.
        Joseph
        Tow
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Vivian,
          Yes, the black on our caps is Black Paint, by PPG I will attach this information for you. This will have the black and the Ivory color info in case you need it.
          I have seen the spider web before. I was told the good Ole Sun does this.
          From what I remember, I don’t think we have a clear coat on the paint. Maybe, one of the moderators could verify that question.

I do know, this paint on the cap is thin, so be careful with working on it, or you could go right thru the paint. I have enough paint chips on the cap that I have considered getting the cap re-painted, but it is a high cost.

Attached Files
          Steve
          2018 Reflection 303
          2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Superduty wow, that’s amazing you found this info! So it is paint, I was looking at it today and ran a fingernail across the ivory and black and it definitely has a raised edge, I for sure thought it was a decal. Wonder then what that rough cracked area at the very top could be? I darkened it some more to highlight the pattern against the black paint. Joseph thinks it is clear coat cracking which if it is I would think light sanding with 800 then spraying some clear coat over it might help. Going to have to do some research and will try to call GD tomorrow to find out for sure. Thanks again for the paint info.
            Last edited by Beachcamper; 05-22-2023, 12:14 AM.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

I'll have to go out and look at the front cap on ours to see if there is a raised edge. Raised edge would definitely lead to one thinking decal and unless you know the difference or find a bubble / delimitation along the edge it will definitely look like a decal.

Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Mystery solved it is paint with clear coat. GD sent me this PDF with the Reflection color codes by Sikken. Now to figure out what best economical way to get this mitigated and protected from further deterioration. I have looked at numerous images of clear coat damage and this looks different like something is on the paint. If anyone has any recommendations, please chime in.

Scroll to bottom for 2018-2019 reflections.

reflection front cap paint codes.pdf
                Attached Files
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,
                  I learned that putting clear coat over scratches on my wife’s wrangler, it took the scratches out. But, with how many you have, it might have to be re sprayed (clear coat). Talk to a collision shop, and see if they can point you in the right direction and give you some help.
                  (Clear Coat. I got some from my local collision shop. I used a very small brush, like an hobby brush and went right down the scratch. Work out almost perfect)

I was up on top of my 5er washing the roof. I do not have any issue that I can find. I”m pretty sure the sun is doing this to your coach. This is a reason I do not like the clear coat on cars/trucks.

Steve
                  Steve
                  2018 Reflection 303
                  Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Since it is way up at roof line I am willing to fine sand using 800-1,000 grit to smooth it and using some 2xl clear coat spray. Just want to protect it for the time being. A collision shop will want to repaint cap which is the right way to fix the issue but that’s going to cost some $$$$.

Sent an email to Sikkens to help me recommend a diy plan. You know how OCD I get about this RV……
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

As long as you can get the cracks sealed, so they don’t keep spreading/opening up. Like I said, the paint is thin so be careful sanding. If you can, tape off a very small area and spray the clear coat in the area. See if the crack lines dis appear. If it works, you could do the rest of the cracks. If it does not work, you still need to sand them out, so no hurt there.

If your around the mothership this year, there is a couple places in a short distant from GD, that does RV Painting. One, which is just down the road pass the toll road on the right side. Maybe 2 miles. The other is east of White Pigeon just pass Bontraggers RV Salvage.

Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Beachcamper Vivian, you could try a DIY paint since it's so far up until you can get it to a shop. Something like https://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-aeros...ce=google&wv=4 or https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Au...=ATVPDKIKX0DER . I would recommend sanding it down with 600 - 800 grit and when you see COLOR in the run off STOP.

I'd stick with a known brand. Eastwood has been around for a while even though a lot of people may not have heard of them.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 thank you for the instructions I want to know if the sanding is wet or dry? I thought to wash it really well, wet sand as you described and wash again. Wait for it to dry tape off area and apply the clear coat spray.

I got two quotes from the factory. It is very expensive close to $5k to re do the entire front cap both colors and new decal. To only do the black area and new decal it’s $2k. Right now it’s so far up at roof line will go with DIY and if it starts spreading will consider the partial black area only.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Wet sand use a bit of washing soap in the water mix to help lubricate and carry off the sanding dust.

One other option that came to me would be to find someone that does clear wrap like xpel. Let them do the correction (just sand and clear the area needed) then wrap with a clear vinyl type product.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...BoCh0EQAvD_BwE

The Xpel stuff is supposed to be a really good protectant. One of the guys at work had his WRX done and clipped the raised logo on his GF's car. It messed up the Logo (pulled it off) and did not scratch the wrap on his car.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well, since Joseph Jlawles2 mention a Wrap, which I never thought of, I wondering if wrapping the entire "Face of the Cap" is a way to go. Shoud help with the travel chips, bug splatter, etc. since the paint is so thin.

Joseph, How would a wrap work over the decals?
                              How long would a wrap last?
                              Can a Wrap, be changed?
                              If it would harm the decals, I would buy a set of decals, and put them in stock, along with many other parts I collect for when needed. Interesting idea on the wrap.
                              Steve
                              2018 Reflection 303
                              Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Working...
                              X