Stuck entry door dead bolt lock:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck entry door dead bolt lock:

We have been happy with our 2020 Imagine 2450RL.. We have put on about 20 k miles with little problems. Our unit has been in storage since December of 2022. Several days ago I attempted to unlock the entry door. The upper key or handle lock works smoothly and works as expected. However, the dead bolt lock key will only turn to the left and not to the right. I have sprayed WD-40 in the key hole and along the door jam without success. I sprayed WD-40 and let stand overnight without success. Pushing the door in or pulling out the handle does not work. Does anyone have any ideas to slove this problem. I do not want to drill out the lock or damage the door.

Thanks

This is a new one for me. Turning to the left locks the dead bolt, right unlocks. I am not sure how to move the dead bolt any other way. I would hate to force the key but that may be the only option as the dead bolt is not accessible from the outside, the door flange covers it I believe.
    Hopefully someone has a trick.

Brian
    Last edited by Country Campers; 06-09-2023, 11:11 AM.
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the comments. If I drill out the dead bolt key do you think I can acces the dead bolt linkage? I this is my only choice I guess I will do it.

LSM

Comment

I would try moving the camper some first. If it's out of level bad enough it could have possibly jammed it up where moving it may free it up before you try and drill it out. Or even try a small flat crow bar and lift up or down lightly to see if it will free it up

Comment

I would look for another way into the trailer. Perhaps a window that isn’t properly latched and can be opened from the outside? Another alternative would be hiring a locksmith. I would be concerned that drilling out the key cylinder would damage the mechanism that retracts the deadbolt. As has been mentioned in another thread on this forum, the least expensive and easiest to replace window in the trailer is the one in the door . . . .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

LSM not sure it'll help but a locksmith told mean long time ago to use an oil in locks like Tri-Flow rather than WD-40. A story for another time but WD-40 is not actually designed to lubricate.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              LSM not sure it'll help but a locksmith told mean long time ago to use an oil in locks like Tri-Flow rather than WD-40. A story for another time but WD-40 is not actually designed to lubricate.
              Agreed . . . WD-40 will wash away the oil lubrication in a lock. The lock will work for a while but the WD-40 will evaporate (as it is designed to do) leaving the lock cylinder with no lubrication and likely seized. A Teflon spray lubricant would be a better choice because this leaves a lubrication film after it dries.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just don't us PB blaster as it will dissolve the foam in the door. WD 40 may too.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

2021 Imagine 2610ML
                  2021 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4WD Crew Cab Duramax 6.6 liter Diesel Allison Transmission

Comment

RV Entry Door locks can be purchased on Amazon from $30 up. If you can't find another way in, drilling or destroying the lock would not be too expensive to replace.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would like to Thank everyone for the various ideas and comments. I was told by a fellow camper that most dealers have a "yellow color" key or tool that will remove the lock. I will call the dealer on Monday. Has anyone heard of such a device? More to come.

Comment

I have heard of it but have not seen it. Let us know how it turns out.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good Morning:

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I sprayed the dead bolt lock key hole with a silicon based lubricant and let sit for 3 days. The ambient temperature dropped from near 90 to the low 70's. The dead bolt key turned freely in both directions and the entry door opened. I don't know if the silicon based lubricant or the lower temperature or a combination of each fixed the problem. I removed the lock and cleaned and lubricated the lock mechanism using a teflon dry lube. All the screws were tight as should be.

This issue remains a mystery. Going forward I am not going to lock the dead bolt from outside the camper. Enjoy the summer season.

Comment

LSM

Thanks for the feedback . . . this will help others dealing with the same or similar issue. What this forum is all about!

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

LSM be careful not using the deadbolt when traveling. On several occasions I have gotten to the destination and found the normal latch was still locked, but not "latched" into the striker. Luckily the deadbolt was still holding the door closed.

Several people have commented on issues with the door being difficult or impossible to open when they get hot. This I think is the first mention of not being able to unlock the door.

you may want to ensure there is sufficient lubricant on the sliding surfaces of the deadbolt. As for lubricant in the key hole, I was always told DRY. I use a https://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-G...s%2C135&sr=8-1 type for all of my locks. Does not play well with your hands when applying, but it does play well if someone squirts a dissolving spray like WD in the system.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X