Low temperature operation - Lippert power tongue jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low temperature operation - Lippert power tongue jack

In December, when we went to hook up our trailer, the tongue jack barely was able to function. The temperature had been well below zero F for a week or so, and was -10F the morning we hooked it up. The lithium batteries had been stored in our heated garage at the house, so supplied power should have been adequate.

I'm likely going to disassemble it and clean out the OEM grease, and replace it with some low temperature grease. I was almost not able to turn it with the manual crank, either. It would have been a struggle once it started to lift the truck some.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on disassembling these? I usually just dive into stuff like this - maybe I'm getting wiser?

Thanks -

Click image for larger version

Name:	tongue jack.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	113671
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

-10°F!!! I wouldn't work to well either...

Seriously though. I'm guessing you're on the right track here. Low temp grease should aid the function at very low temps.
    If possible, please post photos of your tear down so we can all learn.

This video will show you how to get the cover off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrVkYTCh-mw

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      -10°F!!! I wouldn't work to well either...

Seriously though. I'm guessing you're on the right track here. Low temp grease should aid the function at very low temps.
      If possible, please post photos of your tear down so we can all learn.

This video will show you how to get the cover off.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrVkYTCh-mw

Jim
      Will do Jim - thanks for the link to the video.
      Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

AlexPeterson -- when I tore into the Stromberg on my 315RLTS it was fairly straightforward. Just remember to take lots of step-by-step pictures so when you're all done and have that one leftover screw you can figure out where it goes.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          AlexPeterson -- when I tore into the Stromberg on my 315RLTS it was fairly straightforward. Just remember to take lots of step-by-step pictures so when you're all done and have that one leftover screw you can figure out where it goes.
          I have boxes full of leftover parts....
          Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

AlexPeterson I can only suggest that you poke a hole below the head and put a screw in there so you can spray penetrating oil in there for when you are in those low temp situations. Also be advised that low temp grease (usually an NLGI #1) does not like warm weather (turns to liquid). You may even consider adding a grease zerk to the head so you can add a pump or 2 of lubricant yearly.

I feel that jacks are a neglected piece of equipment as this reminds me that I need to grease all of my trailer jacks (not just the camper)...
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

I have boxes full of leftover parts....
              I never have left over parts. I do have a collection of odd screws that no one knows where they go to, and the local land fill seems to be accumulating strange nuts, bolts, and screws.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                AlexPeterson I can only suggest that you poke a hole below the head and put a screw in there so you can spray penetrating oil in there for when you are in those low temp situations. Also be advised that low temp grease (usually an NLGI #1) does not like warm weather (turns to liquid). You may even consider adding a grease zerk to the head so you can add a pump or 2 of lubricant yearly.

I feel that jacks are a neglected piece of equipment as this reminds me that I need to grease all of my trailer jacks (not just the camper)...
                Joseph - thanks for the thoughts. I did leave the OEM grease in the jack screw, but replaced it in the gear box assembly with a low temperature grease, Dow Corning 33. My judgement is that the high speed/low torque motion of the initial gears is where I was having trouble at the cold temperatures. The design has entire gear faces in shear against a flat plate, which could be the source of my problem. I will write up the disassembly in this thread in the coming days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dow Corning 33 label 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	113787
                Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                X