How do I remove graffiti spray paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove graffiti spray paint

I went to our storage facility last night and found that vandals had spray painted every one of the 14 RVs with graffiti.

Does anyone have experience on removing this? The spray paint was done 7 weeks ago according to the management.

pictures of my 2017 337RLS below.

That sucks. Try mineral spirits. It may not work but it's worth a try and it won't hurt your trailer.
    2017 310GK

Comment

How sad. It would have been wonderful if the management would have informed you 7 weeks ago before this had a chance to cure. Mineral spirits as stated above may work but test a small section on the gelcoat and on a decal. Work in small areas. Gelcoat is very resilient. A call to GDRV may also provide some additional information.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Did they wait 7 weeks to tell you?
        Bob P.
        2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
        2020 337RLS
        VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
          Did they wait 7 weeks to tell you?
          NO, They said they contacted all owners the morning they came in but with the confusion with police, owners stopping by etc they may have missed me. I checked my call logs and there were no calls or voice mails from them.

I’m going to try this Carnuba Wax trick from Chemical Guys YouTube first since it seems to be safe and the least aggressive on the gel coat https://youtu.be/G5tJb_S-A6g
          Found this YouTube video. Ordered the wax on amazon last night and it should be here later today.

Wish me luck.

Comment

If they catch the little buggers I would give them a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush and make them clean all of the campers.

A good wax may work pretty well , especially a cleaner wax , but I would be very careful on the decals they are pretty "soft", even using the mineral spirits I would use caution.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

First is getting an idea of what type paint. Spray so likely a common rattle can version. See what cleanup procedures are listed on some cans. I'd try lacquer thinner on a small spot and see what that does. IF you have waxed the RV you will find paint removal easier. Another unfortunate reason for waxing these things. You may have permanent damage so consider an insurance claim.
              2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
              2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
              2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
              2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Update:

The carnuba wax didn’t work. After looking at several YouTube videos I bought some “Krud Kutter Graffiti remover” from local Home Depot. My wife and I worked on it for 2-1/2 hours and all spray paint has been removed. Not only that the vinyl decals survived.

I sprayed the Krud Kutter on, let it sit about 4 minutes and used microfiber towels to rub the spray paint. After first application I sprayed more a Krud a Kutter on the paint again and used a plastic credit card to scrape the paint off then finished with rubbing with clean microfiber towels. Finished off with the carnuba wax and all is good.

Comment

Wow! That's impressive! Made me sick to see your first pictures. Glad you've got it cleaned up.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

That is awesome! I was worried that it was going to take more work or not turn out that good.
                    Happy for you that it cleaned up very well , will keep "Krud Kutter" in mind for cleaning up.

Brian (the other one)
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Nice! So glad you got this behind you. Is the storage facility management installing camera's?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Nice! So glad you got this behind you. Is the storage facility management installing camera's?

Jim
                        Hi Jim,

Yes we were very fortunate that all the paint was able to be removed with no damage to the trailer finish or decals.

The storage facility has multiple HD cameras and they have excellent pictures of the offenders. The police were able to get excellent fingerprints by viewing the cameras and seeing where they touched the trailers and the one boat that was in storage. These kids were very well dressed and appear to be from a nearby upper class neighborhood.

There is a boat 2 bays down from my trailer and the boat owner had a cellular camera. The camera motion detector alerted him at 4:49 am. He saw the kids on camera, remotely set of an audible alarm and called the police.

The kids jumped a 6 foot fence to gain access the the facility. Only barbed wire on the fence They spray painted all 14 RVs, boats and some other walls of the facility.

Last edited by Jerryr; 02-05-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Sorry to see this happened to you but so glad it all worked out. Now lets hope they catch the people!
                          2020 Imagine 2670MK
                          2020 Solitude 380FL

Comment

So were the kids prosecuted/arrested? If it was me I'd be all over the police to get the offenders "pay it back" in some form of community service/lesson learned. No one should be able to shirk punishment/restitution on something like this.

Comment

Update: the police caught the “kids”. They are prosecuting them. With all the damage they did they are being prosecuted for over $10,000 in felony damage.

We filled out statements for the judge and requested about $55 in supplies. We eventually had to purchase one small decal plus the chemicals from Home Depot.

The state attorney has kept us informed. With the Covid-19 virus we elected to not attend any of the hearings. I’ll post updates when I get them.

We removed the trailer from the storage yard and moved it to our country cabin property. We have a nice outdoor spot in the communality RV parking area for $20/mo but for now right now it’s parked next to the cabin, plugged into a new 50 amp outlet and water. We’re using the cabin property to stay remote and self isolate during the virus.

Now we need to learn how to deal with mice. My Jack Russel sniffed out 2 mice and fortunately we were able to catch them overnight.

Last edited by Jerryr; 05-05-2020, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X