Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moryde steps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moryde steps

    I have recently purchased a new 2020 Reflection 337rls and am thinking of installing the Moryde steps. If anyone has done this did you have any issues with the installation?

  • #2
    Our 5er came with the Lippert solid step and we hate it. Let me count the ways:

    First, the legs are difficult to adjust and have a very limited range meaning that it may take some blocking or excavating to get side to side level support of the steps. The steps have to be held or braced off the ground to make the adjustments. Often the treads end up sloping either out or in, which can make them uncomfortable to climb.

    Second, the steps are difficult to clean. The side rails prevent easy side to side sweeping while the traction grooves and riser height make front to back sweeping difficult and not completely effective.

    Third, what ever is on the steps; rocks, pine needles, water; ends up inside the trailer when you close them. When we have to close up in the wet we put a towel on the floor for the steps to drip on.

    I don't know if the Moryde steps will have the same issues but from the photos I suspect they will.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      Our 5er came with the Lippert solid step and we hate it. Let me count the ways:

      First, the legs are difficult to adjust and have a very limited range meaning that it may take some blocking or excavating to get side to side level support of the steps. The steps have to be held or braced off the ground to make the adjustments. Often the treads end up sloping either out or in, which can make them uncomfortable to climb.

      Second, the steps are difficult to clean. The side rails prevent easy side to side sweeping while the traction grooves and riser height make front to back sweeping difficult and not completely effective.

      Third, what ever is on the steps; rocks, pine needles, water; ends up inside the trailer when you close them. When we have to close up in the wet we put a towel on the floor for the steps to drip on.

      I don't know if the Moryde steps will have the same issues but from the photos I suspect they will.
      A "which step is best" thread is to an RV forum what an oil thread is to a motorcycle forum--everyone has their favorite and their reasons for liking or disliking. I'm in your camp on this one--literally walked away from campers that had the MORryde as the only alternative.

      As the regulars here know I'm a Glowstep fan. There are detractors of that step, too, so it's wise for the OP, canada1975@sbcglobal.net, to check all the alternatives (literally by stepping up and down them!) before buying. Before we bought the Glowsteps we spotted a Solitude in a park with them and the owners were more than happy to let us give them a try.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

      Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

      Comment


      • #4
        I've had all three styles - the original folding steps on our 2016 Reflection which we replaced with the Glowsteps and finally the MORryde solid steps on our last Solitude. The original steps worked fine but my wife wanted an extra step (from 3 to 4) which is why we replaced them with Glowsteps. The only problem I have with the MORryde steps is we have tight parking spaces where we store the RV and have had problems deploying them as a result. We don't camp where there is mud/dirt/water so we have no problems with junk getting in the RV. If we did, I'd just throw a towel down inside. Of the three, I prefer Glowsteps. The new Glowstep Uprising model looks pretty cool but the price is a bit high IMO.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R <---ordered
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor <---ordered
        Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

        Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by howson View Post

          Check all the alternatives (literally by stepping up and down them!) before buying.
          Remember to open and close the door when checking out the different steps. We were almost sold on upgrading our OEM 3 step to a more solid 4 step . . . until we realized that opening the door meant stepping up one step and them back down, to reach the door handle. Because of the length of the set of steps. With the original steps, we can reach the door handle from the ground.

          When bringing in the groceries, I like that I can leave the steps folded in and set the groceries in the doorway. (For us, this keeps the critters inside with the door open . . . well, not always the cat!)

          As Howard says . . . there is no one best step configuration for everyone . . . try them out.

          Rob

          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
          Whitby, Ontario, Canada

          Comment


          • #6
            My Momentum 394M came with the solid, one piece steps. While they are very sturdy/solid, they are a pain in the backside if you have limited space when trying to deploy them. When I put the trailer in our RV Carport, there simply isn't enough room to get the door completely open and to swing the solid steps down. Last summer, I bought a set of the TorkLift Glow Steps and removed the solid one piece steps. The glow steps folds out like an Accordion and the trailer is now accessible when it's in the Carport. They are very solid/sturdy too and since they have legs that touch the ground, there is zero bounce when going in/out of the trailer.

            ​​​​​​
            If it ain't fast.....It ain't fun!

            Comment


            • #7
              From a salesman "stand point" (lol), the solid step type is easy to raise and lower; however, when the campers are parked too close together it makes it difficult to lower the step without interference from a neighboring camper. Also, if the legs are extended too far, that changes the clearance between the step frame and the bottom of the entry door. Many entry doors have been damaged from improper clearance. In terms of dirt/water,,,you're camping,,,c'mon man. Take care, Scott
              Scott M. Barlag, RV Product Specialist, Camp-Land RV, Burns Harbor, IN

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SBARLAG View Post
                In terms of dirt/water,,,you're camping,,,c'mon man.
                According to the DW we "glamp". My 315RLTS is more like a mobile hotel room--with a kitchen.

                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

                Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

                Comment


                • #9
                  The 315 is an awesome unit. Whenever someone wants to see the best of the best I show that model.
                  Scott M. Barlag, RV Product Specialist, Camp-Land RV, Burns Harbor, IN

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I won't mention the brand of step I tried out but it was an amusing story. I was asked to try a set out and they'd be free if I did an engineering/consumer assessment and provided the company with feedback. I did the assessment and was brutally honest about the short comings, including poor ergonomic and safety factors. They were so bad, that I actually removed them and re-installed the OEM Lippert steps that came with the unit. The company that sent me the aftermarket steps paid to have them returned. If anyone is considering aftermarket steps, send me a PM and I'll share the report with you.

                    Jim
                    The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2017 Reflection 297RSTS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SBARLAG View Post
                      From a salesman "stand point" (lol), the solid step type is easy to raise and lower; however, when the campers are parked too close together it makes it difficult to lower the step without interference from a neighboring camper. Also, if the legs are extended too far, that changes the clearance between the step frame and the bottom of the entry door. Many entry doors have been damaged from improper clearance. In terms of dirt/water,,,you're camping,,,c'mon man. Take care, Scott
                      Presumably manufacturers are offering as OEM or AME solid hinged stairs because they are better than the folding or accordion stairs. The only benefit that I can see is the lack of bounce and this is out weighed by all the disadvantages that I and others have listed, including the dirt and water that the hinged stairs bring inside our 5er. Probably worse is the difficulty in leveling the hinges steps both side to side and front to back which is why this was noted as my first concern in #2.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X