Venting microwave fan to outside on 2020 Reflection 295 RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting microwave fan to outside on 2020 Reflection 295 RL

We were told by our dealer that our stove vented to the outside via microwave fan to the roof after climbing up there that is not true that was a roof truss vent. I would like to vent to outside wall is there anything that would prevent me from doing so? Studs etc. I cook a lot and the fan in ceiling just doesn’t vent enough. I would of never purchased this model had I been told the truth. 295RL VIN 573FR3426L3415851

Originally posted by Lydia S. View Post
    We were told by our dealer that our stove vented to the outside via microwave fan to the roof after climbing up there that is not true that was a roof truss vent. I would like to vent to outside wall is there anything that would prevent me from doing so? Studs etc. I cook a lot and the fan in ceiling just doesn’t vent enough. I would of never purchased this model had I been told the truth. 295RL VIN 573FR3426L3415851
    I also think it's pretty SAD the GD chose to not put an external vent for the microwave / convection oven.

Some people are installing their own or having someone do it. My dealership would not even give me a bid to do the job. They pretty much suck as a repair facility.
    KEN
    2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
    Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
    10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Lydia. Just to be clear--I'm a fellow GD owner like yourself, I am not a GD employee.

"Roof truss vent"? Can you take a picture of this vent and post it here?

Is this the microwave in your 295RL? https://furrion.com/products/1-5-cu-...wave-stainless If you go to that website you'll find the owner's manual. Grand Design's parts lookup says the microwave is a FMSM15-SS, but all I can find on Furrion's website is FMCM15-SS.

What I tried to research if that microwave has a rear vent capability but couldn't find a definitive answer. I suspect it only has a recirculating vent. If I'm right in addition to adding the exterior vent the microwave will have to replaced.

What you want from Grand Design is a drawing called a Sidewall, O/D/S - BACKERS. There *might* be an interior metal backing plate that could interfere with installing a vent.

GDRV-Megan: Can you verify if Lydia's microwave has an exterior vent capability? Also, she needs a copy of that Sidewall, O/D/S - BACKERS drawing (VIN is in her post).

Lydia--Megan's response will come by Private Message so keep an eye out for it.

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank You Howard for the welcome and your response...the model # FMSMA15-SS is what’s in my 5th and I will look into the possibility of rear venting capability..This is the picture of the vent I was told was for the microwave fan vent then changed it to truss vent. I hope Megan responses this is so important to me.
        Thanks again Lydia

Comment

Thank You Howard for the welcome and your response...the model # FMSMA15-SS is what’s in my 5th and I will look into the possibility of rear venting capability..This is the picture of the vent I was told was for the microwave fan vent then changed it to truss vent. I hope Megan responses this is so important to me.
          Thanks again Lydia
          If you're referencing the white vent--I'm fairly certain that's a vent for the plumbing system. Cate&Rob or someone who knows the plumbing system, can you please verify?

Lydia, I assure you GDRV-Megan will respond. I'm afraid, however, that you're not going to like the response. Let's hope for the best but from research I've done previously on this topic I seriously doubt that Furrion has rear venting capability.

​​​​​​​-Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hi Howard I just did a live chat with an agent from furrion I gave him my model # and he assured me it can vent to the outside he emailed me the information I need as far as the microwave goes I won’t do anything until I hear from Megan if there is anything in the wall that would prohibit the outside venting I am really hoping it can be done so important to me.

Comment

The white roof vent in Lydia's picture is definitely an attic space (sometimes called a truss space) vent.

There is not usually any aluminum wall structure behind the microwave, because they are never sure what microwave/vent hood is going to be installed. There will be metal "backer" bonded to the back of the interior wall board, but this is not an impediment to cutting an opening.

Lydia S. I don't know where you are located, but if you get just the right cool morning with heavy dew, you will be able to see the pattern of the aluminum wall structure on the outside of the wall.

On the earlier Reflections, the range hood was separate from the microwave. Pictures attached of our 2015 Reflection. This range hood vents to the outside. It is not particularly quiet, but it is very effective at exhausting air. (We have been told that when we are cooking bacon for breakfast, the whole campground knows )

This hood is about 5 1/2" tall and reduces space over the cooking surface to 16" but this is very workable. Would it be a viable option to add one of these hoods to your 295RL?

Rob
              Attached Files
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you so much for that information you really made my day! And my hubby loves bacon too!

Comment

Thanks again Lydia
                  That salesman was telling you an outright lie. He likely knew that was the attic vent but just lied to you to get the sale rather than have enough integrity to be truthful. If he really thought it was a vent for the microwave, he shouldn't be selling the rigs.

2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Hi Howard I just did a live chat with an agent from furrion I gave him my model # and he assured me it can vent to the outside he emailed me the information I need as far as the microwave goes I won’t do anything until I hear from Megan if there is anything in the wall that would prohibit the outside venting I am really hoping it can be done so important to me.
                    That's great news, Lydia.

I don't expect GDRV-Megan will say it can or can't be done as it is not an OEM installation or option (to my knowledge). All I expect is she'll provide the drawing to you and then you'll have to make a determination with whomever you choose to do the work whether to do it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      The white roof vent in Lydia's picture is definitely an attic space (sometimes called a truss space) vent.
                      Wow--I had no idea there were vents in our roofs just for the space between the ceiling and (I assume) sheathing. Ventilation? Where does air come in? I know how a house attic space ventilates. How does it flow in our RVs? (I know, I know...going OT...)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        I had no idea there were vents in our roofs just for the space between the ceiling and (I assume) sheathing. Ventilation? Where does air come in? I know how a house attic space ventilates. How does it flow in our RVs? (I know, I know...going OT...)
                        Hi Howard,

In warmer climates, the space between the interior ceiling and the exterior roof sheathing is a "hot space" from sun loading. (Probably not so much on yours, because nearly the whole roof is shaded by solar panels! LOL .) Consider how long it takes for the AC to start blowing cold air through the ceiling ducting after it has been baking in the sun while towing. The hot air inside the roof is looking for a way to rise out of there. The roof vent(s) provides this. As the hot air in the roof space rises out of the roof, this will draw in air from the interior. Every ceiling cutout for a vent or a light has a little space around it. More than enough for "make up air" to match what rises out the vent.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post

That salesman was telling you an outright lie. He likely knew that was the attic vent but just lied to you to get the sale rather than have enough integrity to be truthful. If he really thought it was a vent for the microwave, he shouldn't be selling the rigs.
                          KirbyRVA . . . I think you are being too generous, thinking that this sales guy had any idea what the roof vent was for and lied about it . . . you are assuming that he had even been on the roof. Most RV sales guys were selling some completely different commodity last week. This is not meant to antagonize the knowledgeable RV sales professionals who follow this forum . . . but, you guys are few and far between. Anyway . . . we are going to focus on the most positive advice that we come up with for the OP.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Lydia S. - I'm looking at the drawing for your 295 and see the following based on a drawing that was updated on 8/30/19. There is a 6" x 48-1/4" sheet metal backer in the wall that is at approximately 59-1/2" above the floor. This is right where the microwave should be mounted. Since it's sheet metal, it's easy to locate by placing a strong magnet on the interior wall. Any place the magnet sticks has sheet metal behind it.

There is also one aluminum stud located approximately 114-1/2" from the back wall of the trailer. You may be able to locate this stud with a stud finder, or using Rob's suggestion of examining the outside of the trailer on a damp morning. It's amazing how those studs will show up when there is condensation on the side of the trailer. The next stud forward should be right at the edge of the refrigerator and is at 165-3/4" from the back of the trailer.

To me, it looks like you could install an outside vent with no problem. Just understand that if you cut a hole, you may encounter part of the sheet metal backer.

Of course, I have a disclaimer. The drawing is subject to my interpretation and may have been modified since I received my copy last autumn. Proceed at your own risk.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks so much for your input this helps a lot ....yes nervous about cutting a hole in our brand new 2020 5th ....just don’t understand why GD made the decision not to vent to the outside. But I have to say I love this coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X