Locks for Outside of Camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locks for Outside of Camper

We are getting ready to buy our first travel trailer and I've seen posts in various forums about installing better locks to the outside of the camper. I would like to hear some feedback from some of you "seasoned" owners as to whether this is a worthwhile expense. I was on the RVLock.com site and these are not cheap. If you have replaced your door lock, how do you know which is the best to buy for your particular camper; there are several different types. Do you also install new locks on windows for security? We are planning a big trip out west to some national parks this summer and I must admit I'm a little concerned about leaving for the entire day each day and wondering if my trailer will be secure. Are there other things that you also purchase locks for on the outside of your trailer such as your hitch/tow bar so that they are not stolen?
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

CampCinci ,

Any lock on an RV can easily be defeated. If someone really wants your stuff they'll get it. I consider the locks I have a way to keep "honest people honest" (like the cable & lock I run through bikes and chairs that are left outside when we leave for the day). Kind of obvious, but storing everything that can be stored out of sight is also recommended. For example, our Blackstone grill is cleaned and put back in the pass-thru after a meal if we're leaving the campsite. That's way too tempting of a target for opportunists.

For the RV itself, I have RVLocks on the main door, pass-thru doors, and even modified the under-bed storage outside door to accept an RVLock. You've probably seen this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door

I can't find a thread on my baggage door lock installation (pass-thru doors), so I uploaded the PDF (linked below). The main door installation is super easy--just follow the instructions that come with the lock.

RVLock Keyless Baggage Door Handle Installation Final.pdf

All of my RVLocks are keyed alike. Having the ability to lock all four doors with the push of two buttons on the remote (main door on #1, the other three on #2) is super convenient. Not having to worry about getting locked out is great, too. In fact the DW and I rarely use a key, we punch in the code or use the remote.

For the cost, I suggest waiting for a sale that RVLock routinely runs. Here's a typical example documented on the forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ck-friday-sale

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
      We are getting ready to buy our first travel trailer and I've seen posts in various forums about installing better locks to the outside of the camper. I would like to hear some feedback from some of you "seasoned" owners as to whether this is a worthwhile expense. I was on the RVLock.com site and these are not cheap. If you have replaced your door lock, how do you know which is the best to buy for your particular camper; there are several different types. Do you also install new locks on windows for security? We are planning a big trip out west to some national parks this summer and I must admit I'm a little concerned about leaving for the entire day each day and wondering if my trailer will be secure. Are there other things that you also purchase locks for on the outside of your trailer such as your hitch/tow bar so that they are not stolen?
      You might find this video informative (Chad and Tara are GD Lifestyle Ambassadors if you didn't know):

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thank you! Since I'm new to this I didn't know them. I know we have a lot to learn!
        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

The RVlocks baggage compartment slam latch have two options. The slab being less that 3/4" or greater than. Does GD have a standard thickness? If so, do you know which would be correct for a 2600RB Imagine? If not, do you know specifically what portion should be measured for thickness? thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmccain05 View Post
            The RVlocks baggage compartment slam latch have two options. The slab being less that 3/4" or greater than. Does GD have a standard thickness? If so, do you know which would be correct for a 2600RB Imagine? If not, do you know specifically what portion should be measured for thickness? thanks for the help.
            Please use QUOTE when replying to a post or "tag" the individual (using the @ symbol followed by the username, like this: Bmccain05 ). Makes it much easier to figure out whom is being addressed.

Q: Does GD have a standard thickness?
            A: I don't know and don't want to assume all of the lines have similar thickness in their doors.

Q: ...do you know which would be correct for a 2600RB Imagine?
            ​​​​​​​A: I have a Reflection, so not much help here, either!

Guest (or any Imagine owner)--can you check one of your doors, please?

Howard

Comment

My Imagine is a 2017 model so not sure if this has changed in the most recent units. My passthrough doors are 1/2" thick.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                My Imagine is a 2017 model so not sure if this has changed in the most recent units. My passthrough doors are 1/2" thick.

Jim
                CampCinci My 2020 Imagine has 1" slam latch door thickness's.
                Moe & Donna
                2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post

CampCinci My 2020 Imagine has 1" slam latch door thickness's.
                  Bmccain05 Sorry, forgot to include you in the a/m reply.

Moe
                  Moe & Donna
                  2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Guest and Moe --wow--what a difference. I know the older Imagine's had the turn latches on the pass-thru and the newer ones have the slam latch doors.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Guest and Moe --wow--what a difference. I know the older Imagine's had the turn latches on the pass-thru and the newer ones have the slam latch doors.
                      Howard,

Not sure of the construction of each where my doors feel like plywood. Now for my gasket material that is shrinking and no longer fits the frame, would you know where I could pick up a roll of the stick on gasket that's used on mine? Otherwise they work and my only beef is that one lock is inverted from the other. I've not had a chance to see these locks can be flipped.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        ...would you know where I could pick up a roll of the stick on gasket that's used on mine?
                        Sorry, I'm not familiar with the material. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post

Bmccain05 Sorry, forgot to include you in the a/m reply.

Moe
                          Guest Moe howson Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmccain05 View Post
                            I just added rvlocks to my 2020 imagine 2600rb this past weekend. I used a v4 main keyless lock and 2 regular slam locks. You need the slam lock for greater than 3/4" and you can use the original GD backing plate so you won't have to drill out any rivits.
                            Charles and Susan
                            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                            Andersen Hitch
                            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I just added rvlocks to my 2020 imagine 2600rb this past weekend. I used a v4 main keyless lock and 2 regular slam locks. You need the slam lock for greater than 3/4" and you can use the original GD backing plate so you won't have to drill out any rivits.
                              ckreef Awesome. I appreciate the info. I am a new RVer and unfortunately I left a set of my keys on my bumper as i was hooking up........and leaving. Lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X