Locks for Outside of Camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bmccain05 View Post

ckreef Awesome. I appreciate the info. I am a new RVer and unfortunately I left a set of my keys on my bumper as i was hooking up........and leaving. Lesson learned.

I park my rig in the backyard hooked up to water and 30amp service. It's really nice not having to grab the keys. Just walk out back and punch in the code.

I also have a full set of keys in a baggie and zip tied up under the trailer in a secret spot - just in case I loose or forget my keys. Not needed so much these days but that bundle also contains my hitch lock and a few other pad locks I use around the trailer.

Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      CampCinci ,

Any lock on an RV can easily be defeated. If someone really wants your stuff they'll get it. I consider the locks I have a way to keep "honest people honest" (like the cable & lock I run through bikes and chairs that are left outside when we leave for the day). Kind of obvious, but storing everything that can be stored out of sight is also recommended. For example, our Blackstone grill is cleaned and put back in the pass-thru after a meal if we're leaving the campsite. That's way too tempting of a target for opportunists.

For the RV itself, I have RVLocks on the main door, pass-thru doors, and even modified the under-bed storage outside door to accept an RVLock. You've probably seen this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door

I can't find a thread on my baggage door lock installation (pass-thru doors), so I uploaded the PDF (linked below). The main door installation is super easy--just follow the instructions that come with the lock.

[ATTACH]n13221[/ATTACH]

All of my RVLocks are keyed alike. Having the ability to lock all four doors with the push of two buttons on the remote (main door on #1, the other three on #2) is super convenient. Not having to worry about getting locked out is great, too. In fact the DW and I rarely use a key, we punch in the code or use the remote.

For the cost, I suggest waiting for a sale that RVLock routinely runs. Here's a typical example documented on the forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ck-friday-sale

-Howard
      Hi, any concerns about using the RVLock in really hot outside temps.... say 100 degrees or more? will they still function ok?
      Thanks,
      Cindy
      2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
      2022 Solitude 3330RE
      Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post

Hi, any concerns about using the RVLock in really hot outside temps.... say 100 degrees or more? will they still function ok?
        Thanks,
        Cindy
        RVlocks run on batteries to automatically move the dead bolt. Like all batteries extreme heat or extreme cold affects batteries. Worse case scenario you can always use the key to lock/unlock manually if your batteries no longer work

Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post
          ...any concerns about using the RVLock in really hot outside temps.... say 100 degrees or more? will they still function ok?
          I've never had a problem with the locks in any conditions (to date).

This FAQ is on their website https://www.rvlock.com/pages/faqs

Q. In what temperatures will RVLock handles function?

Like most product, our handles have an optimal temperature where products are designed to perform and function correctly. Our handles’ delta is between 32 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. We have tested and found our handles to perform as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously at this temperature the battery output is going to be the concern. Humidity/temperature levels inside will begin to compete with humidity/temperature levels on the outside possibly causing moisture and/or ice where the two meet. RVLock customers using their trailer in temperatures below freezing are advised to use our handles as they would any other components on their trailer that are humidity/temperature sensitive.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As an FYI, I was fold by RVLocks this week that their baggage compartment locks were not compatible with my compartment doors and the behind the wall latch catch. After watching Changing Lanes video on the install, I realized my compartment did not have a strike plate sunk into the base of the opening like theirs did. I‘be attached pics of what my Momentum 397 came with. I have since returned the RVLocks and looking at other solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I've never had a problem with the locks in any conditions (to date).

This FAQ is on their website https://www.rvlock.com/pages/faqs

Q. In what temperatures will RVLock handles function?

Like most product, our handles have an optimal temperature where products are designed to perform and function correctly. Our handles’ delta is between 32 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. We have tested and found our handles to perform as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously at this temperature the battery output is going to be the concern. Humidity/temperature levels inside will begin to compete with humidity/temperature levels on the outside possibly causing moisture and/or ice where the two meet. RVLock customers using their trailer in temperatures below freezing are advised to use our handles as they would any other components on their trailer that are humidity/temperature sensitive.
              My thanks to all who responded. I had a through while reading the responses, I could put a reflective shade over the lock using velcro.... ah, innovation.
              Cindy
              2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
              2022 Solitude 3330RE
              Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
                We are getting ready to buy our first travel trailer and I've seen posts in various forums about installing better locks to the outside of the camper. I would like to hear some feedback from some of you "seasoned" owners as to whether this is a worthwhile expense. I was on the RVLock.com site and these are not cheap. If you have replaced your door lock, how do you know which is the best to buy for your particular camper; there are several different types. Do you also install new locks on windows for security? We are planning a big trip out west to some national parks this summer and I must admit I'm a little concerned about leaving for the entire day each day and wondering if my trailer will be secure. Are there other things that you also purchase locks for on the outside of your trailer such as your hitch/tow bar so that they are not stolen?
                I am wondering if you ever added locks to your camper? I'm in the situation you described and would like to add passthough locks and possibly the keyless entry to the main door. Thanks in advance.
                2022 Ford F250 CC 4x4
                EAZ-LIFT Recurve R6
                2022 GD Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

nwcubsman

Welcome to our owners technical forum. You are picking up on a thread that is over 6 months old and CampCinci has not been on this forum for about 6 weeks . . . so, may or may not respond. I would encourage you to contact RV Locks directing with specific information on the latches that you have now. With so many supplier changes in the RV industry over the last couple of years, you may have different hardware than earlier builds of the same model RV.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by nwcubsman View Post

I am wondering if you ever added locks to your camper? I'm in the situation you described and would like to add passthough locks and possibly the keyless entry to the main door. Thanks in advance.
                    There are many options where I removed the standard locks from my pass through on my Imagine since I have moved it to a storage lot. I installed barrel locks similar to the ones in the link below. This basically will eliminate the temptation from those with the same key to enter to look around. Otherwise, they will not prevent a determined thief from entering.

https://www.amazon.com/Tubular-Cylin...03133644&psc=1

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by nwcubsman View Post

My 315 is different from your Imagine, but perhaps some of what in this thread may help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...n-2019-315rlts

Welcome to forum!

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

ckreef. we just picked up our 2022 imagine 2400bh, do you know if we would need the larger ones as well? Or would you be able to further explain what I need to measure?

Comment

Working...
                        X