Back up camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up camera

Which backup camera do you prefer if you have one? Easy install possibly wireless for new GD owners ?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The easiest backup camera to install on a Grand Design RV is the Furrion camera. The Furrion mount and a power wire are installed at the factory. Only takes a couple minutes to install. Most folks prefer the "observation" model which allows them to use the camera while moving. There are several models available. Here is one example:

https://furrion.com/collections/came...rvation-system

Other wireless systems are available but they will either require a different mount or an adapter for the Furrion mount.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thank you for that bertschb. I picked up the Camper last week and need to install at my home. So im looking for a simple install as well.

Comment

cchatl33

Welcome to the Forum.

The only problem with the "pre-wired" Furrion mount is the power may be on all the time or may be wired to the running lights. If you are lucky and the mount is wired to the running lights then all you have to do is install the camera and turn on the lights on the tow vehicle and the camera should work. If it is wired to have power all of the time then it will always be on , it may be off when you use the battery disconnect switch , which does not disconnect the battery completely.
        We have the Furrion observation camera and have found it very useful when traveling to watch behind when changing lanes. I do use it some when backing up but a spotter is much more reliable for this.

Brian

Also if you wish to comment on another members post use the quote button and they will get the message.
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I picked up my new camper 2 weeks ago which is also hardwired for Furrion. Today I installed a Haloview camera. It took about 3 hours with much of that spent experimenting with the mount. I choose Haloview based on the reviews I saw on YouTube and the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadiy View Post
            I picked up my new camper 2 weeks ago which is also hardwired for Furrion. Today I installed a Haloview camera. It took about 3 hours with much of that spent experimenting with the mount. I choose Haloview based on the reviews I saw on YouTube and the web.
            Was connection pre wired to the running lights?

I have the Haloview mc7108 and furrion adapter plate that I'm going to install tomorrow. I really hope my 2600rb has the wire going to the running lights.

Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I have the Haloview mc7108 and furrion adapter plate that I'm going to install tomorrow. I really hope my 2600rb has the wire going to the running lights.

On our 2016 Reflection, the wiring to the camera mount was such that it was not all the time. I hand to change it myself so it switched on and off with the running lights. I climbed the ladder this week to mount the camera on our new 2020 Solitude. Imagine my delight when I discovered that the mount was already wired to the running lights! Since I was mounting a Furrion camera, the installation took me all of ten minutes.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

OK Going to pick up my 2020 Momentum 328 G this week. I have a 2020 GMC Denalli as the tow vehicle. The truck has all the 15 towing views from the cameras installed and I just need the camera.

Question 1. If the camera hooks into a receptical on the bumper, does the 5th wheel have the cable in the front pre mounted ?

Question 2. Is there any special adapters that I need for the hook up ?

Question 3. Anyone else have this kind of setup that has the General Motors "Hidden Trailer View" on their tow vehicle ? How do you like it and did you have any problems installing or hooking up ?

Just joined the forum and have read a lot of very good information. Thank you for your assistance with everything I have learned so far, and will learn in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Hawg View Post
                  OK Going to pick up my 2020 Momentum 328 G this week. I have a 2020 GMC Denalli as the tow vehicle. The truck has all the 15 towing views from the cameras installed and I just need the camera.

Question 1. If the camera hooks into a receptical on the bumper, does the 5th wheel have the cable in the front pre mounted ?

Question 2. Is there any special adapters that I need for the hook up ?

Question 3. Anyone else have this kind of setup that has the General Motors "Hidden Trailer View" on their tow vehicle ? How do you like it and did you have any problems installing or hooking up ?

Just joined the forum and have read a lot of very good information. Thank you for your assistance with everything I have learned so far, and will learn in the future.
                  Welcome Papa Hawg .

I am not aware of any cable routing to the front of the RV.
                  The camera mount being used and discussed is a Furrion mount that is located in the middle top on the rear of the unit. This is pre-wired for a Furrion unit and will accept others. This is intended for wireless signal with a stand alone display set usually on the dash of the tow vehicle. If there is a port connection on your new truck then you will have to run your own cable from rear of RV camera to port on the truck. You may want to check with GMC to see what cameras are acceptable to use with there system.
                  This would be awesome to have integrated into the factory display and not have a stand alone display on the dash. Please post your findings.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have a 2020 Ford Super Duty f250 that I use to haul a 35ft. fifth wheel. The truck is equipped with the back-up assist. I'm trying to find the sensor that attaches to the goose neck and allows the hands-free back up of the trailer. Can anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by Trackdaddy View Post
                      I have a 2020 Ford Super Duty f250 that I use to haul a 35ft. fifth wheel. The truck is equipped with the back-up assist. I'm trying to find the sensor that attaches to the goose neck and allows the hands-free back up of the trailer. Can anyone help?
                      Google "ford backup assist sticker target decal for sale" and you'll find many options, such as the ebay offer below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker ford.JPG
Views:	17018
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	35840
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Trackdaddy View Post
                        The harness and yay sensor should have come with your truck, mine did. I also ordered the Ford camera/TPMS kit and it's all plug and play. I did however order mine with the 5th wheel prep kit in the bed, not sure if the pro trailer harness comes with that or not. If yours wasn't in the truck I'd get with your dealer.
                        Jeff
                        2019 Solitude 375 RES
                        2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Google "ford backup assist sticker target decal for sale" and you'll find many options, such as the ebay offer below.
                          howson -
                          For the 2020 model year Ford started offering Pro Trailer Backup Assist in the Superduty for 5th wheels. It works by attaching a yaw sensor to the pinbox. This differs from the prior system that worked for trailers only and used decals attached to the trailer tongue.

Trackdaddy -
                          To get the yaw sensor I believe you need the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist which is standard on King Ranch trims and above. It's optional on XL, XLT and Lariat models. I have the Platinum model and my yaw sensor was in the truck when I picked it up.

I've used the Pro Trailer Backup Assist several times now and it actually works surprisingly well!
                          Last edited by bertschb; 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM.
                          Brian & Kellie
                          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I have the Furrion S7 with three cameras. I run it in observation mode most of the time using the rear camera to see traffic behind. The system works well, and paired easily. HOWEVER... the monitor is dark and very hard to see in the daylight. I checked with Furrion and there is no way to turn up the brightness on the monitor. You have to adjust each camera brightness individually. I have all three turned up all the way and still the picture is too dark. My suggestion is that you try to see one in operation before you buy.
                            Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                            2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

How did this installation go? And, would you recommend this camera?

Thanks,

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

Last edited by -Rich-; 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM.
                              Rich and Sara

2019 Ford F150 Platinum
                              2021 Imagine 2600RB

I plan to live forever. So far so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X