No announcement yet.

Back up camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got the Furion system with the largest monitor. A previous backup camera was not useful with a 4 inch monitor. I find driving with it on distracting and only use it for backup parking. Note, the Furion system has options for rear mounting and two side mounts. We only have the rear mount. The side mounts would be helpful for backing into tight spaces like our storage yard. Otherwise, we are satisfied with the performance. Wish we had a better (closer) mounting in our F250.
    One last item - for our 2019 Ford F250, you need to switch lights from auto to running lights. Auto lights are not hotwired to the trailer camera and you can’t get a connection.

Comment

Is there a way to not use the running light wire? Looks like there are two feeds. I would like to have the cameras where I can switch them on without the running lights.
      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Is there an easy way to get power to the camera, not using the running lights of the truck (while we're on hook-ups at a campsite)? We'd like to use it for security while we're in the camper. We got a 12V adapter for the monitor. Now if we could only get the camera to power up... I guess this is the same question as above. Thanks.
        2021 Imagine 2250RK w/ 2020 Ram 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
          Is there an easy way to get power to the camera, not using the running lights of the truck (while we're on hook-ups at a campsite)? We'd like to use it for security while we're in the camper. We got a 12V adapter for the monitor. Now if we could only get the camera to power up... I guess this is the same question as above. Thanks.
          "Easy" depends on an individual's definition of easy. The online definition is Capable of being accomplished or acquired with ease; posing no difficulty. Ask me to ohm out a wire--easy. Ask me to do a weld--not easy. (I've never welded.)

So the first thing the forum members need to know is the make and model of your GD unit. Then a brief introduction on who you are and if you're an accomplished DIY'er or don't know the difference between a standard and phillips screwdriver will help guide the responses.

To get a better grasp how to get the most from this forum, consider spending a moment or two reading the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I saw a device at the dealership a couple of years ago that you plug onto the trailer light connector and it will turn on the trailer running lights without being connected to a tow vehicle. It basically uses the battery/shore power to power up the running the lights. If you turn on the running lights, the cameras should also power up. I searched Amazon.com and this is what I came up with. As I recall, it looks similar to the one I saw at the dealership. This might do the trick for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Light...1952879&sr=8-3

I hope this helps.

Bob
            Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
            2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

A blade fuse, 2 short pieces of wire and pair of quick connect terminals will do the same thing. Plus you get fused protection of the circuit.

Before I did that, I would by the truck end of the plug and wire it with a couple of switches to allow me to test running lights and blinker circuits, plus it acts as an end storage / protector if you mount it somewhere.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you want to power the camera without the exterior trailer lights being turned on, you will need a constant source of 12V close to the top center of the rear wall. If you provide more information on which trailer you have, we might be able to help with this.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

All of this was very helpful to read. We just got a 2022 Solitude and trying to figure out the back up camera. I bought the Furion as it's pre wired by GD for it. Seems like like it and some don't. That said, has anyone installed the one that comes with the Pro assist package on a Ford 250? I bought the package but the RV dealership said it has more chances of failing with the wiring kit Ford provides. The issue for me is having the new large screen in the Ford with 22 models and then another 5 or 7 inch screen in the cab to look at. Thanks for any information provided!!
                  2022 Ford 250 Super Duty Diesel
                  2022 GD Solitude 310 fifth wheel
                  Jeff, Becky and dog Red
                  Grandson Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    cchatl33

Welcome to the Forum.

The only problem with the "pre-wired" Furrion mount is the power may be on all the time or may be wired to the running lights. If you are lucky and the mount is wired to the running lights then all you have to do is install the camera and turn on the lights on the tow vehicle and the camera should work. If it is wired to have power all of the time then it will always be on , it may be off when you use the battery disconnect switch , which does not disconnect the battery completely.
                    We have the Furrion observation camera and have found it very useful when traveling to watch behind when changing lanes. I do use it some when backing up but a spotter is much more reliable for this.

Brian

Also if you wish to comment on another members post use the quote button and they will get the message.
                    Brian,

This may not be categorized as a problem but more of an inconvenience. My Furrion Observation camera is on all the time (with the battery switch turned on) and I have not seen a real detriment to my battery discharging since it draws so little. So the OP can install this in minutes and be in operation either way. Then at a later time he can change the way its powered.

Like you I find this camera more useful for over the road while passing or moving back in after avoiding a vehicle in the on ramp.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cchatl33 View Post
                      Which backup camera do you prefer if you have one? Easy install possibly wireless for new GD owners ?
                      I’m a big fan of the Furrion S Observation Set with the 7” screen, the 4 inch model is pretty worthless. If you have a small screwdriver, a ladder, and 10 minutes then you will be all set. Super easy install, everything Is prewired.
                      reminder: the headlights of the tow vehicle must be on for it to operate.
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by 60356jai View Post
                        All of this was very helpful to read. We just got a 2022 Solitude and trying to figure out the back up camera. I bought the Furion as it's pre wired by GD for it. Seems like like it and some don't. That said, has anyone installed the one that comes with the Pro assist package on a Ford 250? I bought the package but the RV dealership said it has more chances of failing with the wiring kit Ford provides. The issue for me is having the new large screen in the Ford with 22 models and then another 5 or 7 inch screen in the cab to look at. Thanks for any information provided!!
                        60356jai I’m in the same boat as you. Just picked up a 2021 GD 337RLS which is prewired with the Furion camera option I believe. My 2022 F350 has the Pro Trailer backup assist, I bought the trailer backup camera and TPMS for Ford, just need to figure out how to get the wiring harness from the back of the trailer to the pin box. I’m thinking of getting a transducer mounting plate and adding that below the Furion mount, mount the Ford bracket and camera to it. Run harness over to ladder, zip tie it to the ladder and down under along the frame to maybe the propane holding compartment. I might have to dig out spray foam insulation or drill a hole into the front storage area. Still trying to figure out the route from the front storage battery area to the pin box. If I get this all figured out I’ll post pictures, I’m still searching the internet for someone who posted how this was done.
                        Craig & Theresa
                        2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
                        New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

On our 5er I think there is a small area of unprotected pass through from the propane area into the front compartment. From there follow the wires on the street side that lead to the break away and whip cord.

Also if needed, there are numerous access points around the landing jacks.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

60356jai Have been doing some searching and finally found an actual video on YouTube, this is probably the best option.

Craig & Theresa
                            2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
                            New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              I installed this one (15 mins) it has the Furrion adapters,uses the pre-wired mount and works great for $100 inc. $35 discount.
                              2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher View Post
                                https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                I installed this one (15 mins) it has the Furrion adapters,uses the pre-wired mount and works great for $100 inc. $35 discount.
                                Just a note to write "Welcome to the Forum!" and good job on the signature line!
                                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X