Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof and Caulking

Replacing sunroof
    Recently when I hired my son and his friend to wash the trailer one managed to step right through the sunroof while on the roof. The whole thing will need to be replaced. I found the parts so purchasing them will be no problem. My main concern is cutting the calking that went around the broken one and what should I use to recalk the replacement. I just had the roof replaced last year and don't want to do anything to mess it up.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't get into a trailer repair place here for at least 3 months, and I plan to leave Phoenix before then.
    2016 Reflection 308bhts

Hey fellow Arizonan. Welcome to the forum. I'm making an assumption that your roof replacement was with the same brand and material as it originally came with. If so, then the roof is TPO material manufactured by a company called Alpha systems.

For the skylight, you'll want to use a self-leveling sealant that is manufactured by Alpha Systems. The brand name is Super Flex, and it's only carried for retail sales by Camping World. Here's a link to the correct material:

https://www.campingworld.com/super-f...ige-80344.html

If your roof was replaced with another manufacturer's product, let us know the details and we can help you find the right sealant.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim! I had the roof replaced in Missoula so I'll try and find out what was used.

Comment

I have both sunroofs leaking. The trailer is not even 2 yrs old. But where I bought it from says that is not under warranty????? I have tried to use the rv tape to reseal up there??? Help! Also when it rains bad my where my ac air comes out starts dripping over my bed as well.

Comment

Jonathan If you did not remove the caulk before using the tape, most likely the tape is not wide enough and the caulk rough enough that it is not sealing properly. You will most likely need to remove the tape and caulking then reapply the tape.

I would do a thorough inspection as several people have reported that the sunroofs have cracked. Any suspect area should be inspected for the potential of a crack letting water leak through.

As for the AC. Lookup the install manual for the unit. 2 things: 1 - it's not uncommon for them to need to be re torqued. 2 - the seal between the unit and the roof is a wear item and can deteriorate to the point that it will need to be replaced. Various things lead to the deterioration of the seal.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X