Tire Stops/Hitch Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Stops/Hitch Locks

As a new travel trailer owner, can anyone recommend a brand of tire stops (if that's what they're called)? My husband mentioned getting some that can be stacked on top of each other. Also looking for any recommendations for Hitch Locks. I'm sure there are lots of "extras" we need to buy - but at this point we haven't made our first camping trip yet so these are just things I thought of. Thanks to everyone for patience in putting up with my volume of posts! There is certainly a lot to learn!
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

CampCinci

They are actually called wheel chocks. These can be found at Walmart or even Amazon and your local RV store. I do not think there is any "great" set , just pick one that fits your needs. I have never used a hitch lock so I have no opinion there. Do not be afraid to ask questions , we have all been there and are happy to help.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
      As a new travel trailer owner, can anyone recommend a brand of tire stops (if that's what they're called)? My husband mentioned getting some that can be stacked on top of each other. Also looking for any recommendations for Hitch Locks. I'm sure there are lots of "extras" we need to buy - but at this point we haven't made our first camping trip yet so these are just things I thought of. Thanks to everyone for patience in putting up with my volume of posts! There is certainly a lot to learn!
      Could you (please) add your setup in a signature line? See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts for directions. (Thanks!)

For your questions, I use a combination of "X chocks" and standard wheel chocks (cheap yellow ones). Usually just the X chock (even though they don't recommend it) unless the camper is on a very uneven surface.

I think what your husband is referencing is leveling blocks. These are for what their name implies--leveling the camper side-to-side, not for chocking (preventing movement).

I lose track of what I've written to whom, so if this is a repeat I apologize in advance: instead of leveling blocks consider a LevelMatePro in combination with Anderson Levelers (or a similar product).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
        For hitch locks I use a cheap lock on the trailer coupler. If someone is determined to take your camper, a hitch lock is not much of a deterrent. They'll just hook up the chains and drag your camper away, cutting off any lock with a powered cutting tool later.

I've actually thought about the scenario of my camper being stolen (seems like a remote possibility, though) and the two best solutions IMHO are 1) good insurance and 2) a GPS tracker powered by the camper's 12v battery. I haven't done any homework on the second part (GPS tracker) but it would be awesome to be able to tell the cops exactly where my trailer was if necessary.

As you make discoveries please don't hesitate to share your experience (good and bad) with products. "Newbie" perspective keeps the information shared on this forum fresh and current.

Howard

P.S. And don't worry about posting--I bombarded Cate&Rob and TucsonJim (long time GD owners) with questions when I was new. Your questions are why this forum exists!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

For wheel chocks i use solid rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. Those cheap plastic wheel chocks can break with the weight of some of these fifth wheels.i forgot and left a yellow plastic chock under on wheel when I pulled out one time. Scattered bits of yellow plastic 25 feet. LOL.
          John & Cindy
          2019 303 RLS
          2018 F250

Comment

We use these heavy duty ones I suppose just like or similar to the ones John referenced in his post #5. Depending on the pad or slope, we place them in different locations either in front or rear of the tires. We have four total.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

WOW! Great feedback and even video (which is great for slow learners like myself ha!). Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome!
              2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Working...
              X