Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I use to clean and seal the penetrations and seams of my TPO roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use to clean and seal the penetrations and seams of my TPO roof?

I just purchased our barely use 2019 reflection 28bh. The roof needs to be cleaned and assume I should not use the “rubber roof” cleaners.

I ordered some of this Camco Pro-Tec TPO roof cleaner. Is this a good product or should I use something else?

Can I mix something up at home that won’t damage the TPO?

As well I understand that I shouldn’t use regular dicor lap sealant either. I ordered some recpro 1021 self leveling lap sealant. Am I good to go with this stuff?

Afterward I planned to use some 303 aerospace UV protectant on the roof and the awning as well as the A/C and vent covers. Is it safe to use on the TPO?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Todd & Judy

I have always just used Dawn dish soap and warm water. Does a pretty good job of removing just about everything. Easy to rinse off too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Ford View Post
      I just purchased our barely use 2019 reflection 28bh. The roof needs to be cleaned and assume I should not use the “rubber roof” cleaners.

I ordered some of this Camco Pro-Tec TPO roof cleaner. Is this a good product or should I use something else?

Can I mix something up at home that won’t damage the TPO?

As well I understand that I shouldn’t use regular dicor lap sealant either. I ordered some recpro 1021 self leveling lap sealant. Am I good to go with this stuff?

Afterward I planned to use some 303 aerospace UV protectant on the roof and the awning as well as the A/C and vent covers. Is it safe to use on the TPO?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Todd & Judy
      From the OEM (see attached PDF):

Alpha Systems Cleaning and Main - Alpha Systems.pdf

"Bonus" material! (How to clean gray or black stains...which I now ignore):

Alphaply SuperFlex Roof Membran - Alpha Systems.pdf
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard
        Your cleaning link came back bad. I think this is their main cleaning menu
        https://www.alphallc.us/product-care/
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Howard
          Your cleaning link came back bad. I think this is their main cleaning menu
          https://www.alphallc.us/product-care/
          They are PDFs I uploaded to the forum, Keith. I have no idea why the link didn't work for you. ???
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

They are PDFs I uploaded to the forum, Keith. I have no idea why the link didn't work for you. ???
            I think I figured it out. I was not logged in. They work now

I knew it had to be ME

Comment

Yoda,

I have spoke with Alpha systems on several different topics for cleaning their roofs. One is on the black algae that forms along the roof truss lines which involves cleaning with a gel bleach (painted on sparingly) and a soft brass brush (this is ultra soft with long bristles) and waiting 10 minutes before scrubbing out with the brass brush and rinsing. This worked extremely well. I've posted on this elsewhere on the forum in how to do this. Care needs to be taken to not get bleach on the graphics on the side of the rig.

The other topic I had inquired with them is how to clean small areas that would allow good adhesion of the alpha caulk while making repairs. I was surprised when they told me to sparingly use mineral spirits then to quickly wash off the mineral spirits with dawn dish soap. I did this along the gutter and this method resulted in a like new surface for the caulk to stick. Its widely known to not use petroleum products on the TPO roof but this is what they recommended. Again watch the graphics on the side of the rig.

The next suggestion from them is to not use any protective or sealing type products on their TPO roof where a cleaning several times each season with a soft brush and dawn dish soap or spic n span is all that's required.

Hope this helps,

Jim
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great information. After a good wash and spot seal if required I will be replacing the vents in my bathroom and bunk room with deluxe maxxair fans with thermostats and remotes. I have a maxxair vent in the kitchen but it’s the one with the standard vent cover lid so it will require a bid vent cover over it.

Comment

Howard,

I had reposted a couple of the pdf's where the links were not working for me as well.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X