Surface Rust on the Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Rust on the Frame

After 1.5 yrs my 315RLTS' frame is starting to show a little rust. I watched a Project Farm comparison video and he likes Naval Jelly for flat surfaces and Krud Kutter for items that can be immersed (like a wrench).

How do you mitigate rust issues on your GD? After rust removal, any preference on the black paint to blend in to the OEM's so it looks good?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

This looks like an interesting product, but hard to know without actual hands-on experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corroseal.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	15077
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard,

I have been using products from Eastwood for spot rust conversion. They have a flat black rust converter paint that has worked well for me on the trailer as well as for touch up on my TV frame. However, I had hoped to undercoat (non hardening type) all the exposed metal surfaces on the underside of the Imagine but have not had a chance to do it.

https://www.eastwood.com/

Jim

Comment

I have some rust on the frame and suspension I would like to remove....I’ve always been hesitant to try using something that I could spray on for better coverage since I don’t know what it would do to things like coroplast under belly,rubber, copper, romex......Soooo you go first and let us know what happens😀
        Keith and Diane
        2014 Reflection 337 RLS
        2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Howard,

I have been using products from Eastwood for spot rust conversion. They have a flat black rust converter paint that has worked well for me on the trailer as well as for touch up on my TV frame. However, I had hoped to undercoat (non hardening type) all the exposed metal surfaces on the underside of the Imagine but have not had a chance to do it.

https://www.eastwood.com/

Jim
          This one?

Name:	Eastwood.JPG
Views:	779
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	15084

Comment

Is there any reason why we could not install a sacrificial anode onto our trailer frame? If this is acceptable , Could we install one on our vehicle frame as well?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Howard,

Yes I've used the one you posted as well as the rustolium products. One thing on the soft undercoating approach is that it will attract dirt and will not be shiny if that's what your after. Once oxygen is sealed off from poorly painted metal and after the rust is neutralized, it should become stable and free from future rust. Doing future work on this surface could be messy as well but I would like to stop the rust that I am also seeing on my chassis.

Brian,

A sacrificial anode will not work on road vehicles since the anode system as found on boats only work while being fully submerged in water.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                I have some rust on the frame and suspension I would like to remove....I’ve always been hesitant to try using something that I could spray on for better coverage since I don’t know what it would do to things like coroplast under belly,rubber, copper, romex......Soooo you go first and let us know what happens😀
                Always test in a small area when dealing with any product. I would not be spraying to cover the coroplast and may brush it on the exposed frame. One trip in a winter salt treated road and things will get ugly on the chassis in a hurry. So far I have avoided this but once I retire, its highly possible I could get caught on a road where salt has been used. I've been watching my chassis and treating it in small areas with the eastwood products and have had no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  This looks like an interesting product, but hard to know without actual hands-on experience.

Name:	corroseal.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	15077
                  Howard, when my '17 315 came back from the factory for repairs, they had towed it over and back to the West coast and I can't even describe the mess under there. I used a wire brush to knock off any flake or loose paint. I brush painted everything under there with Corroless and was very happy with the result. I then topcoated with a heavy equipment grade black Rustoleum. Turned out great! Whole thing took about 3 days but I'm Old and was recovering from treatment.
                  2020 Reflection 315RLTS 2016 Silverado 2500HD
                  "Use your head for something besides a hat rack"......my Dad.

Comment

Kim provides the hands on experience so this is another product to consider. Nice.

Jim

Comment

I have used any number of spray rust converters over the years (both rattle can and bottled liquid) and they all work. However they will literately weld any rusted bolts in place. Most hardware stores will have several brands. I learned this the hard way on my baler.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                        I have used any number of spray rust converters over the years (both rattle can and bottled liquid) and they all work. However they will literately weld any rusted bolts in place. Most hardware stores will have several brands. I learned this the hard way on my baler.
                        That's good to know, Keith--thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefblueman View Post

Howard, when my '17 315 came back from the factory for repairs, they had towed it over and back to the West coast and I can't even describe the mess under there. I used a wire brush to knock off any flake or loose paint. I brush painted everything under there with Corroless and was very happy with the result. I then topcoated with a heavy equipment grade black Rustoleum. Turned out great! Whole thing took about 3 days but I'm Old and was recovering from treatment.
                          Kim,
                          If the afterlife has access to the internet, I hope you'll "see" this post. I'll be tackling my frame tomorrow with the product you recommended to me all those months ago. I didn't know when I read your words that it was going to be the last time I'd read your words.

As I work on the frame I'll be thinking of you, my friend.

Howard

P.S. Yes, fellow forum members, I get a wee bit sentimental on occasion...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Kim,
                            If the afterlife has access to the internet, I hope you'll "see" this post. I'll be tackling my frame tomorrow with the product you recommended to me all those months ago. I didn't know when I read your words that it was going to be the last time I'd read your words.

As I work on the frame I'll be thinking of you, my friend.

Howard

P.S. Yes, fellow forum members, I get a wee bit sentimental on occasion...
                            Howard - this is a very touching and caring post.......I hope Kim is still paying attention as well.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I'm calling this last "down under" (coroplast down) project complete. Not hard work, but not fun.

I spent yesterday using Corroseal's cleaner to scrub every piece I could reasonably clean on the rusted frame and suspension.

Today I went over the rusted pieces (at least) twice--in some cases more with Corroseal. There's quite a few good YouTube videos on the process, so all I did was take a few pics to share. I am not going to paint over the Corroseal--I'm good with how the "primer" appears so I'm willing to test how long it lasts. Undoubtedly I'll get to do this again--there'll be more rust. Grrrr...

The pictures are before (left) and after (right). This first one is the 2" receiver on the rear of the camper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Receiver.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	22481
                              In this second picture I'm attempting to highlight the "seam" between the floor frame. That seam had rust the entire length of the camper, both interior and exterior, on both street and curb side of the camper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Frame Seam.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	22482
                              The MORRyde components had rusted considerably. For suspension parts perhaps this is "normal", but I didn't like it. The front "A" frame had lots of rust, too (no pics of that area).

Click image for larger version  Name:	MORRyde.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	22483
                              Any questions...fire away. Last step is to reinstall the coroplast!

Howard
                              Last edited by howson; 06-24-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X