2020 Imagine 2600 battery shelf too tight for battery box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Imagine 2600 battery shelf too tight for battery box

Anyone else having a problem where the battery shelf on the A frame is too tight for a group 24 box? I'm trying to install a second battery but the rails apparently are too close for the box to fit and get down to the bottom of the bracket. A neighbor, who is a master welder, has said the only way he sees fixing this is to cut 1 rail off and rewelding it so the rails are 1/2 inch further apart.

Is this something others are seeing or is this a one off issue?
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

Jim TucsonJim installed a second battery on his Reflection TT. I do not recall that being a major project. It may well be that the Imagine frame dimensions are different but possibly Jim may chime in and share his change over for any help and value it may provide for you.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
      Anyone else having a problem where the battery shelf on the A frame is too tight for a group 24 box? I'm trying to install a second battery but the rails apparently are too close for the box to fit and get down to the bottom of the bracket. A neighbor, who is a master welder, has said the only way he sees fixing this is to cut 1 rail off and rewelding it so the rails are 1/2 inch further apart.

Is this something others are seeing or is this a one off issue?
      Have you looked at other group 24 boxes? All are not made the same. I had a similar issue on a previous TT and by searching found a box that was slimmer and fit. Possibly look for a double box like this https://www.campingworld.com/camco-d...E&gclsrc=aw.ds They list the dimensions too.

Hope this helps
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Have you looked at other group 24 boxes? All are not made the same. I had a similar issue on a previous TT and by searching found a box that was slimmer and fit. Possibly look for a double box like this https://www.campingworld.com/camco-d...E&gclsrc=aw.ds They list the dimensions too.

Hope this helps
        That is the exact box I'm trying to set in those rails. However I've tried several single battery boxes from various companies and have exactly the same issue.
        2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
        Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
        FMCA # 489460

Comment

Running from Gnats
          Could you post pictures of what you are trying to do and the problems encountered?

Thanks
          Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That is the exact box I'm trying to set in those rails. However I've tried several single battery boxes from various companies and have exactly the same issue.
            How does the existing box fit?? Like the original Rob mentioned a picture might give us clues.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It would be tough to get a picture right now. What is happening is any box sits approx 1/8 inch into the vertical part of the rails and will not go down to the horizontal base. Best description is to picture angle iron, where the two rails are about 3/8 inches too close. As to the original battery box, it never sat all the way down. It was "installed" by putting the strap around the battery box and wrapping it around both the outside of the rails and the case. When I pulled the wet cell to start making the change in batteries to lithium and the new battery box, the original box just fell over. When I try to get it to sit on the bottom part of the rail, it jams and leaves enough room to get my fingers between the bottom of the box and the rail it is supposed to sit on (measured my fingers/ roughly 7/16 off the bottom). If I bump the box, it pops out of the rails.

Right now, my neighbor, who is a master welder, is looking at removing one of the bars and replacing it with another bar about 1/2 inch wider in spacing to accommodate the battery case. We will attach the new rail with heavy duty self tapping screws. My thinking is arch welding onto the frame is a bad idea, given all the electronics in the trailer. It's similar to what we did on a TT which didn't have an exterior battery rack and the owner wanted the battery mounted on the hitch.

I did try to contact customer service at GD, but the phone goes to voice mail and won't take a message as it's full. So no one at GD to talk to.
              Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
              FMCA # 489460

Comment

It would be tough to get a picture right now. What is happening is any box sits approx 1/8 inch into the vertical part of the rails and will not go down to the horizontal base. Best description is to picture angle iron, where the two rails are about 3/8 inches too close. As to the original battery box, it never sat all the way down. It was "installed" by putting the strap around the battery box and wrapping it around both the outside of the rails and the case. When I pulled the wet cell to start making the change in batteries to lithium and the new battery box, the original box just fell over. When I try to get it to sit on the bottom part of the rail, it jams and leaves enough room to get my fingers between the bottom of the box and the rail it is supposed to sit on (measured my fingers/ roughly 7/16 off the bottom). If I bump the box, it pops out of the rails.

Right now, my neighbor, who is a master welder, is looking at removing one of the bars and replacing it with another bar about 1/2 inch wider in spacing to accommodate the battery case. We will attach the new rail with heavy duty self tapping screws. My thinking is arch welding onto the frame is a bad idea, given all the electronics in the trailer. It's similar to what we did on a TT which didn't have an exterior battery rack and the owner wanted the battery mounted on the hitch.

I did try to contact customer service at GD, but the phone goes to voice mail and won't take a message as it's full. So no one at GD to talk to.
                They were closed for Good Friday (announced previously). GDRV-Megan may check in sometime this weekend, but don't expect any response until early next week.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Missed that. Thanks. Will try to reach them Monday, or would they be there on Saturday?
                  Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                  FMCA # 489460

Comment

Running from Gnats

A couple of comments:
                    1) Welding on the frame is no big deal. I have had several suspension changes/repairs done by LCI techs and they don’t even disconnect the battery (which I would do).
                    2) What about having your welder fabricate a custom steel battery box that fits the space and the new batteries?

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Running from Gnats

A couple of comments:
                      1) Welding on the frame is no big deal. I have had several suspension changes/repairs done by LCI techs and they don’t even disconnect the battery (which I would do).
                      2) What about having your welder fabricate a custom steel battery box that fits the space and the new batteries?

Rob
                      About the welding. It's more of not being able to move the TT. due to shelter in place. Dewey (master welder) lives across the st and we can work in the driveway, both wearing required masks.

And we have spoken about a custom battery case, but I'm still thinking tongue weight. The double plastic box is functional and gives me time to figure out if I want to have a box built. And time is something we have plenty of .

Norris
                      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Does the battery box have to sit flat on the deck? Would it be acceptable to build a scaffold or platform above the problem rail? If it is a question of providing drainage out of the box a short piece of tubing would take care of that.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I've also been looking at battery boxes and they vary in size since some will accept batteries from several group sizes. I've also thought about a custom aluminum box since I've seen some cases where the battery is getting wet. Lithium batteries should not be exposed to water or high humidity.

One way to solve the spacing in the L channel is to use treated ply and fill in the channel to the top then anchor the box's to the ply and L brackets. Can also be done with spacers and thin plate steel if you do not want to use wood. This way you would not be cutting off the old L brackets and welding to the frame.

A similar concept I believe from John.

Comment

Running from Gnats Guest

If you Google "Aluminum Battery Box" and then filter the search to "Trailer" there are a number of what look to be quality aluminum battery boxes that might work "as is" or would be a good start for minor modification by a fabricator/welder. Keeping in mind that the box should be rain proof is a good idea.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions for an aluminum dual battery box but first, they are even wider than the camco box (7.4 inches wide)I'm looking to install. The OEM box came in at 7.6 inches (even wider) than the camco box.

And second, $300+ for one of those is over budget. Having just purchased 2 lithium batteries, a lithium converter/charger and a victron BMV-712, I've run the budget out for this project. The wife agreed to spend under $2000 and I've pushed that a bit. Luckily I was able to take advantage of the Costco sale on Lion Energy UT-1300 batteries. Plus I purchased a suitcase solar cell package for boondocking, though I didn't have to include that in the battery budget!

Since I didn't list the distance between the two rails earlier, it is 7.1 inches, which is about right if you just wanted to put a Group 24 battery directly onto the rails and not have it protected from the weather. Hopefully this was a mistake during build by GD and not their normal build.
                              Last edited by Running from Gnats; 04-11-2020, 04:00 PM. Reason: Added information on purchase of suitcase solar cell kit.
                              Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                              FMCA # 489460

Comment

Working...
                              X