Roof Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Inspection

I was performing the first roof inspection on my 2019 315RLTS and I noticed that around the edges on the top it looks like the roof membrane has separated from the roof material in several places. there is no leak and there is no break in the membrane but is this normal? also I see where a staple is backing out, hasn't broke through the membrane but I think eventually it will. Does the dealer need to fix these things or are they normal???? Thanks in advance...

Originally posted by R Brown View Post
    I was performing the first roof inspection on my 2019 315RLTS and I noticed that around the edges on the top it looks like the roof membrane has separated from the roof material in several places. there is no leak and there is no break in the membrane but is this normal? also I see where a staple is backing out, hasn't broke through the membrane but I think eventually it will. Does the dealer need to fix these things or are they normal???? Thanks in advance...
    Can you take a few good pictures and post them? That would really help.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can you take a few good pictures and post them? That would really help.
      Pictures would be good. I had a staple of screw or something under my membrane and it broke through. GD warrantied this with my dealer so they put in another attic vent where the issue was.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Pictures would be good. I had a staple of screw or something under my membrane and it broke through. GD warrantied this with my dealer so they put in another attic vent where the issue was.

Rob
        LOL . . . I have seen the "randomly located" attic vents for just this reason . I am not sure that this is better than a careful slice in the membrane, removal of the screw or staple, and a generous application of self-levelling sealer. But, the attic vent does look more "planned" in an otherwise new roof membrane.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

LOL . . . I have seen the "randomly located" attic vents for just this reason . I am not sure that this is better than a careful slice in the membrane, removal of the screw or staple, and a generous application of self-levelling sealer. But, the attic vent does look more "planned" in an otherwise new roof membrane.

Rob
          I hope more permanent than the self leveling caulking.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Here are some pics, hope they help..... the unit still has better quality than the keystone hideout I bought

Comment

Originally posted by R Brown View Post
              Based on what I see in the pictures I'd leave it alone.

The separation is not terribly unusual. What's happening is the TPO (white material) is detaching from the wood underlayment. The glue in that spot isn't holding. Not ideal but not unheard of. Where this can cause a significant problem is on a leading edge (into the wind) or if any seam is separating.

For the staple...I'd keep an eye on it. Have a roll of eternabond on hand in your spare parts kit. Very easy to patch quickly. (I've had to patch a small hole due to a pine cone poking a hole in my roof.)

If you're concerned these problems may escalate further, call Grand Design Customer Service and ask for these issues to get documented, assuming you're still under warranty. Get a case # and the name of the person you spoke with for your records. If the problems escalate to a worst-case scenario Grand Design will very likely honor the warranty coverage.

GDRV-Megan -- anything to add to my recommendation to R Brown?
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the help!!! I have only had it for 5 months and learned from my last trailer and the problems I had with the warranty, I am documenting everything😃... will call GD in the am, thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Based on what I see in the pictures I'd leave it alone.

The separation is not terribly unusual. What's happening is the TPO (white material) is detaching from the wood underlayment. The glue in that spot isn't holding. Not ideal but not unheard of. Where this can cause a significant problem is on a leading edge (into the wind) or if any seam is separating.

For the staple...I'd keep an eye on it. Have a roll of eternabond on hand in your spare parts kit. Very easy to patch quickly. (I've had to patch a small hole due to a pine cone poking a hole in my roof.)

If you're concerned these problems may escalate further, call Grand Design Customer Service and ask for these issues to get documented, assuming you're still under warranty. Get a case # and the name of the person you spoke with for your records. If the problems escalate to a worst-case scenario Grand Design will very likely honor the warranty coverage.

GDRV-Megan -- anything to add to my recommendation to R Brown?
                  I would agree with howson in this! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X