RV Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Cover

We are looking for a cover for our ‘20 Reflections 303RLS. Any advice on what brands to look at and where to buy them would be appreciated.
    i want a good quality cover that will last more than a single winter, we get freezing temps and quite a bit of wind...
    Thanks

notlost
    It’s the “quite a bit of wind” that’s the concern. A torn and flapping cover will quickly do more damage than no cover at all. If you go with the cover, make sure that someone can check on it on a regular basis. I would opt for a good coat of wax rather than a fabric cover. Just my “2 cents worth”.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have used the ADCO brand from Camping World on our previous TT. Used for 8 winters and then passed on to a friend who has used for the past 2 winters. There were tears at the bottom where it contacted the jacks but other than that no other issues. It did survive quite a few windy conditions. The issue spots are the spouts for the gutters , I used some foam attached at these points. I also did not cinch the cover very tight and did not have any issues with damage to the TT. I do not use one now with our fifth wheel , we have indoor storage for it.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        ...we have indoor storage for it.
        "Indoor storage"? Hah! You, sir, have built a mansion for your trailer. (Yes, I'm jealous.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have looked at the covers at Camping World and talked to a few local RVers, they suggested looking on line and let them know if I found one that lasted better than 2 seasons...not encouraging.
          I was able to store my camper in my shop but the 5w is a bit too tall. The camper was still in excellent shape when I sold it. You keep the UV off it makes a big difference.
          i will follow the advice on the spouts, those are a cover tear waiting to happen.

Comment

We use a custom made Sunbrella cover from CalMark out in CA. It fits like a glove with no flapping. It was also a bit pricey at $900.00 shipped to my door. Swimming pool storage pillows are used on the roof to form a peak to shed water and snow and a home made antenna cover to protect both the antenna as well as the cover. This was made from a 4x8 sheet of foam from home depot and M77 glue. For the gutters, I use pipe insulation cut at 1 ft length and attach these with duct tape over each gutter to protect the cover from abrasion.

Just removed it after the fourth winter and its still like new.

Jim
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              notlost
              It’s the “quite a bit of wind” that’s the concern. A torn and flapping cover will quickly do more damage than no cover at all. If you go with the cover, make sure that someone can check on it on a regular basis. I would opt for a good coat of wax rather than a fabric cover. Just my “2 cents worth”.

Rob
              I would concur with Rob on this. I covered our 303RLS with a tarp for 1 season. The first good wind storm we had literally ripped if off the trailer. When I assessed the situation, I noted that the grommets and ropes were rubbing the sides of the trailer, leaving marks I was able to polish the marks off the trailer finish so no lasting damage, but I agree with Rob on doing without the cover. I now have my trailer detailed once a year that includes a good wax, and I regularly wash the top and check the seals. Trailer looks pretty new for a 4 year old rig. My opinion is not to put a cover on it. I would love to have covered storage, but way too expensive here in California.
              Tony G
              2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
              2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
              KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
                .... I now have my trailer detailed once a year that includes a good wax, and I regularly wash the top and check the seals.
                Who do you get to do that? I'm not even sure I would know where to look? The dealer? (I don't have the patience to detail my Car, never mind a 30 foot trailer)
                Mike
                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Who do you get to do that? I'm not even sure I would know where to look? The dealer? (I don't have the patience to detail my Car, never mind a 30 foot trailer)
                  Search Google for "RV detailing." There are outfits almost everywhere that will come to you and do it. We have a favorite when we're staying in New Mexico, but we've also used similar services in Georgia and elsewhere. See if you can find ratings or reviews for them on-line... costs and quality can vary. You also want to determine that they really do know what they're doing when it comes to RVs so they don't damage your roof with the wrong detergents or chemicals or get water in your appliances or through the slide seals with high pressure.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

If you have the room a rv carport would seem to be a better solution. You spend 25k, 35k, 50k, or more on your rig. A 3k to 5k rv carport seems like a small investment in the long run.
                    Charles and Susan
                    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                    Andersen Hitch
                    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I've had no issues with a custom cover other than the max air vent becoming dull on top. Not noticeable from the ground.

I would however have a carport put in if possible but we do not want to cut into our wooded lot to do this. Every situation is different.

Jim

Comment

Kind of an interesting story. I went to visit a friend in Phoenix Arizona one summer day. We took a trip to the lot where he had his rig stored. This was one of those "MEGA" storage yards, and there were over 1000 rigs there. I found it odd that I could only see about six with covers. I asked the yard manager about it. He told me "People try covers every year. But within six months, the sun and wind have destroyed them and they wind up in the dumpster".

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

One more opinion......on our previous rig the wife and I attempted to put the cover on a just moderately windy day. Can you say kite? A gust of wind almost took me off the roof !
                          I never attempted to put the cover on again..... I opted for the good detail and wax! Now I use covered storage for the fiver.
                          Keith and Diane
                          2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                          2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                            One more opinion......on our previous rig the wife and I attempted to put the cover on a just moderately windy day. Can you say kite? A gust of wind almost took me off the roof !
                            I never attempted to put the cover on again..... I opted for the good detail and wax! Now I use covered storage for the fiver.
                            I got my 303RLS detailed in Pleasanton, CA. About $400 and well worth it.
                            Tony G
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                            2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                            KTM 250XC

Comment

I have have had good luck when in a RV park stopping by the office and seeing who they recommend. They have always done a great job, are usually reasonably priced, and no risk of getting in trouble with the park. Plus they have experience with RVs.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X