310GK Slide Toppers - Steve's experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310GK Slide Toppers - Steve's experience

So my 2018 Solitude 310GK came with Carefree Latitude and Longitude awnings on the curb/entry-door side. We wanted a topper on the dining room slideout -- mostly to abate the noise when it rains. So last year, I measured the length of the dining room slideout and ordered a Lippert Solera that somebody had a good deal on at the time.

I didn't consider a couple of things when I ordered.

1) The two awnings (Latitude and Longitude) butt up against each other so that the dining room topper that you get based on nominal measurements can't be centered on the slideout being topped. The standard length topper for the dining room slideout has to be offset to the left, because the awning on the right prevents moving the dining room topper far enough to the right to center it over the slideout.

2) The Latitude slideout awning that covers the dining room slideout occupies the space that Solera intends for you to install the slideout hex-keyed mounting brackets. And the Latitude awning just can't be lowered as was done by howson. So I mounted my brackets in the non-Solera recommended upper position. See pics, below.

To mount the hex-keyed mounting brackets, I bought this hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12mm M5 was a perfect length and diameter, and the flat profile bolt head eliminated issues with sealing the slideout against the rubber bulb seal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout_bracket_backside_flush_screws.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	16861

I mounted the bolts so the flat bolt-head was on the bulb-seal side, and the locking nuts were on the front side. All stainless;

Name:	Slideout_bracket_frontside_flush_screws.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	16862

The topper offset issue due to the proximity of the two awnings is seen here:

Name:	Latitude-Longitude-Awnings-Proximity.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	16863

Continued in next post. Server doesn't seem to like lots of pics. . .

Attached Files
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Continued from previous post.

So with everything mounted and the slideout extended, here's the result:

Name:	Extended-Topper.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	16867

But here's the thing. Because I offset the topper to the left -- and pre-drilled the hex-keyed bracket inboard on the slide for strength (I didn't anticipate that I'd be offsetting everything), the Lippert-supplied hex rod turned out to be too short.

Luckily, I found a source for a solid-aluminum hex bar EXACTLY the same size as the Lippert supplied tube: MidwestSteelSupply.com

Order Contents
    ====================
    6061 Aluminum Hex Bar (61AHB34)
    Hex Dimension: 3/4
    Quantity: 1
    Length: 28.0000
    Price: $11.77
    Item Total: $11.77

This is what it looks like:

Name:	AfterMarketHexRod.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	16868

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee ,
      I didn't consider the awning over the main door, either, when I ordered my toppers. I just got lucky that there's a large gap between the awning arm and the slide on my 315RLTS.

Name:	Gap.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	16871

The angle of your topper looks good. I don't expect you'll have any water accumulation/pooling on it. When it does rain will you post a follow up? I've had a few private message exhanges on the topic and I know other folks are interested in abating the pooling effect on their toppers.

The hardware location on the inside of the flange looks like the bolt heads are below where the flange meets the bulb seal. Nice job!

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X