External Camera vs. another window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Camera vs. another window

OK, so I could not decide on which section to put this thread into, so I opted for the External one, instead of electrical.

I have a 2016 Reflection 303 RLS. It only has one small window on the left side of the RV in the far back. I would like to brighten that side up.

I am curious what is behind the shallow wall behind the TV. In looking at the dimensions of the slide out, it is way deeper than the location of the TV. A suggestion to GD would be to remove the interior wall behind the TV (which is on top of the fire place). I looked up the dimensions of the fireplace. I think it would be possible to have a counter surface the level of the shelf under the TV that would extend to the exterior wall of the RV slide out. A window about the size of the TV could be added on that exterior wall. I think that the TV could be mounted on one of those motorized lifts behind the fire place, that would raise or lower the TV behind the fire place, allowing either a TV or window there. I have not pulled the fire place to see how much room is behind it. The TV is flat screen and fairly thin. Newer ones ar eeven thinner. Would need to find out where to get one of those motorized TV lifts.

An alternative to the above would be to mount an external camera to the upper outside of this slide out, and feed it to the TV. You could simply turn on the camera and TV and essentially have the TV as a window view on that side of the trailer. Sort of a virtual window.

Any thoughts?
    Tony G
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
    2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
    KTM 250XC

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
    OK, so I could not decide on which section to put this thread into, so I opted for the External one, instead of electrical.

I have a 2016 Reflection 303 RLS. It only has one small window on the left side of the RV in the far back. I would like to brighten that side up.

I am curious what is behind the shallow wall behind the TV. In looking at the dimensions of the slide out, it is way deeper than the location of the TV. A suggestion to GD would be to remove the interior wall behind the TV (which is on top of the fire place). I looked up the dimensions of the fireplace. I think it would be possible to have a counter surface the level of the shelf under the TV that would extend to the exterior wall of the RV slide out. A window about the size of the TV could be added on that exterior wall. I think that the TV could be mounted on one of those motorized lifts behind the fire place, that would raise or lower the TV behind the fire place, allowing either a TV or window there. I have not pulled the fire place to see how much room is behind it. The TV is flat screen and fairly thin. Newer ones ar eeven thinner. Would need to find out where to get one of those motorized TV lifts.

An alternative to the above would be to mount an external camera to the upper outside of this slide out, and feed it to the TV. You could simply turn on the camera and TV and essentially have the TV as a window view on that side of the trailer. Sort of a virtual window.

Any thoughts?
    You'll be surprised how much room is behind the fireplace. Just guessing, but I'd say it doesn't take up more than about 1/3 to max 1/2 of the space.

I hope you'll take good notes (and pictures) when you do your mods--they are the best (IMO) part of this forum. Except it tends to cost a lot of money when the "Good Idea Fairy" strikes after reading what someone else has done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0809 (Medium).JPG
Views:	264
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	17406
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You'll be surprised how much room is behind the fireplace. Just guessing, but I'd say it doesn't take up more than about 1/3 to max 1/2 of the space.

I hope you'll take good notes (and pictures) when you do your mods--they are the best (IMO) part of this forum. Except it tends to cost a lot of money when the "Good Idea Fairy" strikes after reading what someone else has done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0809 (Medium).JPG
Views:	264
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	17406
      Not surprised at all about hiw much room is behind the fireplace. I looked up the fireplace dimensions, and then looked inside one of my side cupboards for depth to what I assume is the outer wall. Measuring showed the side cabinets essentially go all the way to the outside wall (actually inside wall as the wall should be insulated (I hope)). I think the bulk of the cost of this mod would be the TV lift assembly and the actual exterior window. Not sure where to go for either.

I am thinking to browse the RV log for Grand design trailers with a window the size I want, then get the VIN for that trailer and order the window. Installing windows is not a big deal. Especially since I can access the wall interior to frame it up. I may do the same thing for the TV lift as a lot of the trailers these days have this feature.

I likely will not pursue this project until this time next year when my extended warranty expires. I do not want to take a chance of voiding the warranty with structural mods. But I can get pricing now.

I will post here once I take this on, with some pictures. Personally I don't see a huge need for a fireplace in an RV. It is just a novelty. Maybe I would see more value if I were living in the RV.

Thanks,
      Tony
      Tony G
      KTM 250XC

Comment

Not surprised at all about hiw much room is behind the fireplace. I looked up the fireplace dimensions, and then looked inside one of my side cupboards for depth to what I assume is the outer wall. Measuring showed the side cabinets essentially go all the way to the outside wall (actually inside wall as the wall should be insulated (I hope)). I think the bulk of the cost of this mod would be the TV lift assembly and the actual exterior window. Not sure where to go for either.

I am thinking to browse the RV log for Grand design trailers with a window the size I want, then get the VIN for that trailer and order the window. Installing windows is not a big deal. Especially since I can access the wall interior to frame it up. I may do the same thing for the TV lift as a lot of the trailers these days have this feature.

I likely will not pursue this project until this time next year when my extended warranty expires. I do not want to take a chance of voiding the warranty with structural mods. But I can get pricing now.

I will post here once I take this on, with some pictures. Personally I don't see a huge need for a fireplace in an RV. It is just a novelty. Maybe I would see more value if I were living in the RV.

Thanks,
        Tony
        PS. Nice to know this is where they put the AC junction box. If I get in there I will relocate to the right rear corner. On my trailer, I added a switch in series with the Refrigerator plug that I mounted inside the cabinet to the right of the microwave. Turns out my fridge would go to 120 volt mode as soon as I was on outside external AC power. I could not force it to go to propane unless I went outside and unplugged the fridge. The fridge only needs 12 volts to operate its electronics, and I want propane when camping as it keeps the fridge cooler. So now I simply switch off the AC to the fridge and it goes to gas. Hardest part of this mod was deciding where to put the switch.
        Tony G
        KTM 250XC

Comment

PS. Nice to know this is where they put the AC junction box. If I get in there I will relocate to the right rear corner. On my trailer, I added a switch in series with the Refrigerator plug that I mounted inside the cabinet to the right of the microwave. Turns out my fridge would go to 120 volt mode as soon as I was on outside external AC power. I could not force it to go to propane unless I went outside and unplugged the fridge. The fridge only needs 12 volts to operate its electronics, and I want propane when camping as it keeps the fridge cooler. So now I simply switch off the AC to the fridge and it goes to gas. Hardest part of this mod was deciding where to put the switch.
          What surprised me when I looked back behind the fireplace was the hole in the floor for the wiring. No insulation or other barrier to the cold/warm air under the trailer and, obviously, a perfect place for a critter to get in if they managed to get under the coroplast. I sealed the hole with spray (expanding) insulation around the wiring. There's (was) a hole just like it under the island where the water lines and plumbing go through the floor (but it's now sealed, too, with the expanding foam insulation).
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What surprised me when I looked back behind the fireplace was the hole in the floor for the wiring. No insulation or other barrier to the cold/warm air under the trailer and, obviously, a perfect place for a critter to get in if they managed to get under the coroplast. I sealed the hole with spray (expanding) insulation around the wiring. There's (was) a hole just like it under the island where the water lines and plumbing go through the floor (but it's now sealed, too, with the expanding foam insulation).
            Good to know. I may pull my fireplace and seal and under the sink too. For a trailer that is supposed to be so hardened for cold weather, that seems like an oversight (or shortcut).
            Tony G
            KTM 250XC

Comment

Thanks,
              Tony
              Note I found TV lifts (Monoprice Commercial) for $257 that will lift a TV up to 110 pounds. Now I just need to get a price on a window. For that I need to get some dimensions.
              Tony G
              KTM 250XC

Comment

Note I found TV lifts (Monoprice Commercial) for $257 that will lift a TV up to 110 pounds. Now I just need to get a price on a window. For that I need to get some dimensions.
                Tony

There are a couple places out near Elkhart Indiana that sell new RV parts that have been discontinued. You usually get a pretty good price. When you figure your size you may want to check them for the same style and price. You may also check around your area for a "parts" RV that may have been damaged that they would sell parts from, your local dealers may help with this. Getting a new window shipped from Indiana would be very pricey.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X