My Roof Maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Roof Maintenance.

It's been three months since I last cleaned and thoroughly inspected my roof. I was surprised to see that GDRV had completely resealed the front cap when I got up on the roof (thanks much). I started with washing the roof with a bucket of water and Dawn dishsoap.

Then, I did a thorough inspection. I found a few small pin holes and cracks in the sealant that I touched up with SuperFlex self leveling sealant in beige. However, the back seal on the cap was starting to show some pretty significant cracking, and I also found that the sealant was not adhering well to the roof membrane. If I hadn't have pulled up on the sealant to see that it wasn't adhering, rain water could have migrated between the sealant and roof membrane and caused a leak. So I ran a new bead of sealant along the entire length of the back cap. It took two tubes of Superflex to seal everything up.

In regards to the SuperFlex. I purchased it at Camping World. Alpha Systems manufactures both the roof membrane, and the SuperFlex sealant. So of course, it's the brand they recommend. I found it interesting that the tubes of sealant state that they have a "One Year Shelf Life". But neither I nor the Camping World employees could find a manufacturing date anywhere on the tubes.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Jim, a suggestion for the next time. I myself and others have bought the 4 inch wide by 25 foot of Eternabond tape. This allows you to cover the front and rear seals. Also leaves a little extra for other repairs.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Duall
    y

Comment

Thanks for posting this Jim. Does the Superflex work with a caulking gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer58 View Post
        Thanks for posting this Jim. Does the Superflex work with a caulking gun?
        Yes sir. A standard caulking gun works fine.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by vonzoog View Post
          Jim, a suggestion for the next time. I myself and others have bought the 4 inch wide by 25 foot of Eternabond tape. This allows you to cover the front and rear seals. Also leaves a little extra for other repairs.
          I'm curious, does applying eternabond have any effect on the roof warranty? We've got a 2020.5 31MB and I'd like to go over the seams for the front/rear caps along with the various vents & skylights.

Comment

Originally posted by Appfan View Post

I'm curious, does applying eternabond have any effect on the roof warranty? We've got a 2020.5 31MB and I'd like to go over the seams for the front/rear caps along with the various vents & skylights.
            Hi Appfan,

I see that this is your first post . . . welcome to our owners technical forum.

From the perspective of another owner (me) I can't see how providing extra protection for roof seams could be detrimental to your warranty.
            But, since this forum has GDRV backing, I am going to toss your question over to MeganGDRV-Megan from Grand Design.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I to am a fan of using Eternabond tape for seams and repairs but not sure If I would want to do full length seams that are in good condition. I think the tape still requires that you use a lap sealant along the sides/edges so it’s kind of redundant to seal the tape edges versus just sealing the seam....
              Keith and Diane
              2014 Reflection 337 RLS
              2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

There would not be an issue with using eternabond tape on the roof. We actually have used it in the past on the front and rear rails on the Momentum and Solitude lines. We are currently using it on the rear rails of both lines.

Comment

Working...
                X