Hose & Cord Lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose & Cord Lengths

So I was wondering, our trailer came with power cord that is just over 25'. I purchased a 20' sewer hose and a 25' fresh water and a 25' grey water hose. Is that enough, or should I buy more ?
    Mark and Cheryl
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500
    2021 Imagine 2670MK

This is what I use...

Power cords-
    50 amp - 25' (or is it 30'?)
    30 amp - 50'

Sewer hoses-
    Two 10' hoses

Water hoses-
    Fresh - 50'
    Black - 50' (expanding)
    Backup - 100' (expanding)

The longer hoses/cords are really just for backups. We've never needed them at traditional RV park sites.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Fitter235 View Post
      So I was wondering, our trailer came with power cord that is just over 25'. I purchased a 20' sewer hose and a 25' fresh water and a 25' grey water hose. Is that enough, or should I buy more ?
      FWIW: I always carry an extra 25' 30 Amp cord and one 50 to 30 Amp Dogbone, 2- 25' fresh hoses, 1- 25' grey hose, 1- 50' backup General purpose Zero-G expanding hose, and 5 each 10' sections of tank drain hoses. We have two Grey and one Black tank so I carry a "Y" splitter for the tank drain hoses. I also carry a bunch of extra hose fittings, gaskets, etc, etc. It's "better to have and not need than to need and not have".
      Happy Camping!
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Moved your thread over to the Technical Forum side so it gets more visibility (hope you don't mind).

I have two 20' sewer hoses and have needed the extra length at least three times over two years. To accommodate the extra hose I swapped out the OEM sewer hose holder for a longer, adjustable version that spans the entire width of the trailer frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Valterra.JPG
Views:	1399
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	17836

I also have an extension cord for the electrical. Not sure of the exact length but it's heavy. Maybe used it once. I have just about every adapter that can get from the trailer's 50A connector to (almost) any power source, including a standard NEMA 15A outlet (if "moochdocking" and it's the only power available). The main one I've used is the 50-30 adapter.

Like bertschb (Brian), I also have an various water hoses. Two 25' and one 50'. I've needed these in different combinations many times. Again, reinforcing Brian's post I also have gaskets and other small repair items with me "just in case". It's always after a long day of towing that you need something (like a new gasket on your water hose) and it's nice to just have it with you.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Fitter235, Worse case scenario is you get into a mobile home park that has been "converted" to an RV park and has the utilities at the rear of the space. It looks like your trailer length is 32'3" with your universal docking station towards the nose and drain line about mid-trailer (I'm assuming). I would say that your electrical and waterlines may be a little short, but you should be alright on the drain line.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to invest in some longer cords/hoses just because it would suck to not have enough.
            Mark and Cheryl
            2008 Dodge Ram 3500
            2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

I carry an extra 25ft of electrical cord. Do not see any need to carry additional water and waste hose.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                I carry an extra 25ft of electrical cord. Do not see any need to carry additional water and waste hose.
                2 is 1 and 1 is none.
                2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post

2 is 1 and 1 is none.
                  A wise man once told me "too big is always big enough".
                  Brett & Lisa
                  From NW Ohio
                  2020 Imagine 3100RD behind a 2022 F-250 7.3 Lariat

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to invest in some longer cords/hoses just because it would suck to not have enough.
                    Good choice.

On the electrical side, did you notice that nobody has told you to buy a 50-amp extension cord? They're expensive, bulky, and heavy, and not often required. Sites with 50-amp service are often later-built and often have the pedestal at the side of the trailer near the shore power socket. At older campgrounds the pedestal may be at the back of the site - necessitating an extension for shore power - but the pedestal often has only 30-amp service, not 50-amp. There are exceptions of course, but it often works out like this.

So, consider getting a 50-30 amp adapter to take your 50-amp cable down to 30-amp, then a 50-foot 30-amp extension cable. This combo will let you plug into 30-amp power pretty much anywhere, and 30 amps is usually enough to run the trailer including an air conditioner with just a little caution about not turning on too many high-draw appliances at the same time.

Also consider getting another adapter to take the 30-amp down to 15-amps, and a quality extension cord, allowing you to plug in just about anywhere that there is power available and get enough power for the fridge, lights, charging batteries, even running the furnace.

Fortunately all this stuff isn't expensive but if you return here regularly we'll help you spend all the rest of your money.

The following are examples of what to buy, not necessarily the best of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...s%2C179&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extensi...s%2C174&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...s%2C169&sr=8-3
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                    X