Stiff Hinges On Exterior Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Hinges On Exterior Door

We just bought a 2020 Reflection 29RS and feel like the exterior door is a little difficult to close, feels like the hinges are pretty stiff. We put a “pull bar” on the screen door but it is extremely hard to close the door without slamming it, that goes for the door in general. Anyone know of a way to loosen the door up? WD40 do anything? In time will it become easier to open/close? Appreciate any suggestions if anyone has run into the same thing.
    Brian & Teri (plus the “boys” Ripley & Ruger, our yorkies)
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

My '19 315RLTS' door is actually getting stiffer as time goes on. GDRV-Emily or TucsonJim or Cate&Rob or Country Campers : I've read elsewhere that Power Lube with PTFE by CRC is recommended by Grand Design for anything that requires lubrication --is that correct?

(Note: I'm testing the tag function along with trying to get an answer at the same time.)

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Brian,

These are "friction" hinges that are purposely stiff to prevent the door from slamming open or shut. It is a love/hate thing. Some think this is a great idea . . . some not so much. The only way to get rid of this feature would be to change to regular hinges. If you do this, you will need to add a hold open latch as on earlier trailers without the friction hinges.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howson - Your tag worked. I received an email about it. I'm curious about the issue of your door getting stiffer as time goes on. I do think you probably need to lubricate it if that is the case.
        Country Campers Brian - That lube will work great. WD40 should not be used primarily for lubrication purposes.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Brian

I use ptfe lubricant. It does not penetrate like a liquid would but I think it helps. Mine is not getting stiffer , but has always been this way. I am not a fan but have grown to tolerate it.

Another Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I can't quantify how stiff my door was, but here's how it sounded and note the rebound!

I hit all of the "friction" points with some PTFE. (One point is highlighted in the pictures below.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PTFE Large.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	1856
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Hinge Lube Point.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	1857
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Hinge Lube Point (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	1858

...and there's a dramatic improvement!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Very nice howson , that sounds much better.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I use the CRC lube on most everything and have used this on my door hinges as well. Works well on locks, and the jacks also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi Brian,

These are "friction" hinges that are purposely stiff to prevent the door from slamming open or shut. It is a love/hate thing. Some think this is a great idea . . . some not so much. The only way to get rid of this feature would be to change to regular hinges. If you do this, you will need to add a hold open latch as on earlier trailers without the friction hinges.

Rob
                  I wish I had one of those catches on ours! Our "friction hinge" has hardly any friction. Doesn't take much of a breeze to swing the door back shut, usually startling the dogs and me resulting in some choice language. Guess its another thing on the to do list!
                  Shawn, Tricia, and our rescue dog Pepper
                  2022 Solitude 310GKR on the way
                  (Formerly 2019 Reflection 320MKS and 230RL)

Comment

Originally posted by pawsitivecampinglife View Post

I wish I had one of those catches on ours! Our "friction hinge" has hardly any friction. Doesn't take much of a breeze to swing the door back shut, usually startling the dogs and me resulting in some choice language. Guess its another thing on the to do list!
                    I believe they started using the "friction" hinge sometime in late 2017, I also think I heard they quit using them sometime in 2018.
                    Memory, second thing that goes.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

New to the forum...if I do something wrong, please yell at me! I own a 2020 Imagine 3100RD with friction hinges on the entry door. CRC did help a bit, however, the top and bottom hinges have screws on the bottom of the hinge pins. I turned them out about a quarter of a turn...it did make a difference. I wouldn't recommend taking them out totally since I can not predict what would happen. Any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated....Thom (BoneCarver)
                      Last edited by BoneCarver; 07-18-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneCarver View Post
                        New to the forum...if I do something wrong, please yell at me! I own a 2020 Imagine 3100RD with friction hinges on the entry door. CRC did help a bit, however, the top and bottom hinges have screws on the bottom of the hinge pins. I turned them out about a quarter of a turn...it did make a difference. I wouldn't recommend taking them out totally since I can not predict what would happen. Any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated....Thom (BoneCarver)
                        Thom,
                        Welcome to the forum. No problem being a newbie--hope you'll take the time to learn the idiosyncrasies of this vbulletin (that's the software driving this forum) format. There are multiple posts in the FORUM USE channel you may find informative: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ow-do-i-____-2

For the hinges--I have to get after them on occasion with another spray of the CRC. If my trailer is not level I sometimes get binding, too, or the door won't close properly. Since I don't have self-levelers (nor do you) it's annoying when the camper settles to one side at a campground with soft ground. Not a huge deal though--if it becomes too annoying and we're staying a bit I hook back up and readjust as required. (Only happened once or twice.)

Again, welcome, and thanks for the tip about the screw!

Howard

Comment

Thank you Howard....Thom

Comment

We tried the screw technique and one was broken off in other frame the other did move but no relief from stiff hinge. My dealer would need to make an appointment to LOOK at it
                            Does anyone know where to get regular hinges??

Comment

Working...
                            X