Awning arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning arms

Has anyone had the experience of twisting arms on the mail awning. Mine got so bad I couldn’t close the awning all the way. I don’t keep it out on windy days. I’m pretty careful with it. I hear the older arms 2018 and older are crap. Well mine are. They don’t even make them any more. Must be because they realized they were crap. GD, can you help me out here?

Welcome Yellowdog.

I'm trying to understand. "Mail" awning?

I've seen some of the awning bars that are attached to the side of the RV bow and bend. Or are you talking about the arms that attach to the awning roller? It would be really helpful if you could post a picture so we can see what you're talking about. To do so, just click on the camera icon and attach your file.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Welcome Yellowdog.

I'm trying to understand. "Mail" awning?

I've seen some of the awning bars that are attached to the side of the RV bow and bend. Or are you talking about the arms that attach to the awning roller? It would be really helpful if you could post a picture so we can see what you're talking about. To do so, just click on the camera icon and attach your file.

Jim
      I think he is meaning main awning.
      Yellowdog
      Hopefully the following threads will help you with your bowed awning. I did a write up on how I repaired my main awning back channels. Also if you awning is a Dometic brand, give their customer service folks a call and get a free set of rubber bumpers that help the awning extend so it does not bind up
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...close-properly
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair
      Last edited by Yoda; 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hello, need your help. I have a 2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS we have just received a few weeks ago. I am trying to find out how much wind the awning can take. I got 2 completely different answers at the dealership. One said 15 mph max. The other said absolutely do not have it extended in any wind or rain at all. Asked about stabilizing it. NO NO NO. They also said the arms are not made to with stand wind or rain. They are only made to block the sun. This is really surprising when I see so many at the campground have them open most of the time. I do have to be careful because it goes out over the slideout which does not make sense to me.
        Thank you for your help.
        Dave

Comment

Don't know what kind of awning your model has but I'm okay with ours open up to 10 mph. Rain doesn't matter. Unless you adjust for rain mine will automatically dump the rain water before something gets screwed up.

The dealer that said no wind or rain is just trying to cover their rear end. The other dealer - 15 mph is probably max.
          Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1954 View Post
            Hello, need your help. I have a 2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS we have just received a few weeks ago. I am trying to find out how much wind the awning can take. I got 2 completely different answers at the dealership. One said 15 mph max. The other said absolutely do not have it extended in any wind or rain at all. Asked about stabilizing it. NO NO NO. They also said the arms are not made to with stand wind or rain. They are only made to block the sun. This is really surprising when I see so many at the campground have them open most of the time. I do have to be careful because it goes out over the slideout which does not make sense to me.
            Thank you for your help.
            Dave
            Dave,
            Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

Putting aside my opinion for a second, what does the component manufacturer state in their manual? I *think* there's a Solera (Lippert) awning on your trailer, so I checked the LCI website. The owner's manual is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001369.pdf

On page 6 is this unspecific entry--the only reference to wind: During incidents of high wind, heavy rain or extended time away from the unit, it is advisable to retract the awning completely to prevent damage to the awning and the RV.

What defines high wind or heavy rain? Any wind high enough or rain heavy enough to damage the awning. How's that for clarity? (Sorry--I'm being sarcastic.)

Now to the opinion / what I do: the awnings are rarely, if ever, deployed if there is any wind. Mine "bounce" and are quite unnerving in even light breezes. When it's raining, I manually lock down one side (mine has that feature--not sure about yours) so the water immediately runs off.

Bottom line: use a lot of caution with your awnings. They are easily damaged.

I hope this helps.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
              Don't know what kind of awning your model has but I'm okay with ours open up to 10 mph. Rain doesn't matter. Unless you adjust for rain mine will automatically dump the rain water before something gets screwed up.

The dealer that said no wind or rain is just trying to cover their rear end. The other dealer - 15 mph is probably max.
              I have to look to check what make the awning is. Thank you for responding, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Dave,
                Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

Putting aside my opinion for a second, what does the component manufacturer state in their manual? I *think* there's a Solera (Lippert) awning on your trailer, so I checked the LCI website. The owner's manual is here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001369.pdf

On page 6 is this unspecific entry--the only reference to wind: During incidents of high wind, heavy rain or extended time away from the unit, it is advisable to retract the awning completely to prevent damage to the awning and the RV.

What defines high wind or heavy rain? Any wind high enough or rain heavy enough to damage the awning. How's that for clarity? (Sorry--I'm being sarcastic.)

Now to the opinion / what I do: the awnings are rarely, if ever, deployed if there is any wind. Mine "bounce" and are quite unnerving in even light breezes. When it's raining, I manually lock down one side (mine has that feature--not sure about yours) so the water immediately runs off.

Bottom line: use a lot of caution with your awnings. They are easily damaged.

I hope this helps.

Howard
                Thank you for your help. I will check the website you mentioned. Dave

Comment

Hello again. Back with the awning again. I have asked around at the campground about the electric awnings. It seems they are not very happy with them because of not being able to adjust like manual ones. Practically everyone with the electric awnings are tying them down. They all say it has not caused any problems except they would like to be able to add de-flappers. Well I tried the tying down and it seems to work great. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                  Thanks, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1954 View Post
                    Hello again. Back with the awning again. I have asked around at the campground about the electric awnings. It seems they are not very happy with them because of not being able to adjust like manual ones. Practically everyone with the electric awnings are tying them down. They all say it has not caused any problems except they would like to be able to add de-flappers. Well I tried the tying down and it seems to work great. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                    Thanks, Dave
                    I hate electric awnings and the type Grand Design uses is one of the worst! It comes almost straight out and if you let it dump on its own it will dump several gallons at once and soak and splatter mud on everything!

Comment

Agreed that the electric awnings are "fragile". It's what we have to work with. Ours is not extended unless we are under it . . . more often for rain than for sun. Choose campground sites where the front of your trailer points north. By the time the afternoon sun gets hot, you are in the shade the trailer without needing an awning.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

These awnings suck. I miss my old manual dometic
                        2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
                        2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

motocamper
                          I believe the manual ones are still available, and there is a chance they can cover the old holes (only when closed). Only problem is there enough structure at the bolting points - especially the base? It looks like the base might find solid structure at wall base, Possibly get creative on the hole covering when open.
                          https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...awning-_-40164
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            motocamper
                            I believe the manual ones are still available, and there is a chance they can cover the old holes (only when closed). Only problem is there enough structure at the bolting points - especially the base? It looks like the base might find solid structure at wall base, Possibly get creative on the hole covering when open.
                            https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...awning-_-40164
                            If anyone is considering placing a manual awning on their coach in lieu of the automatic verion, let me know. the make and model of your unit. I can check the drawings to see if there might be a sheet metal backer at the location you wish to mount the arms.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hello,
                              (2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS) (Awning Lippert Power Solera)
                              Back again on the awning. First let me say we love the camper. But the awning is not great. It really is not the best design for the camper. If it is raining we have to choose letting the water come off by the door and water every place. Or the other end which goes over the slide out and can't lower enough because it will set on the sharp edge of the slide out and afraid it will tear. Also because of a wind it jumps all over. Another thing it does not go down enough to give any shade. I am considering tying it down. Only because I have seen other campers with the electric one tying theirs down and say they have not had any problems. I believe the warranty will not cover it then. Like I said before the camper is awesome and really hate to complain. We are seasonal campers. I have considered a permanent awning which many have. But I have been told I can't because there is not enough room over the slide out. If anyone can help me out with my problem. It would be appreciated with many thanks.
                              Dave
                              Last edited by Dave1954; 06-24-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X