Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1954 View Post
    Hello,
    (2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS) (Awning Lippert Power Solera)
    Back again on the awning. First let me say we love the camper. But the awning is not great. It really is not the best design for the camper. If it is raining we have to choose letting the water come off by the door and water every place. Or the other end which goes over the slide out and can't lower enough because it will set on the sharp edge of the slide out and afraid it will tear. Also because of a wind it jumps all over. Another thing it does not go down enough to give any shade. I am considering tying it down. Only because I have seen other campers with the electric one tying theirs down and say they have not had any problems. I believe the warranty will not cover it then. Like I said before the camper is awesome and really hate to complain. We are seasonal campers. I have considered a permanent awning which many have. But I have been told I can't because there is not enough room over the slide out. If anyone can help me out with my problem. It would be appreciated with many thanks.
    Dave
    Would these help? https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgLBu_D_BwE
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you for the website. Check it out and there might be something that will help. Dave

Comment

These had great reviews, and I wanted to get them for our Momentum, but they're not tall enough!

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...stabilizr.html
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

We tie our awning down all the time, every time. I tilt one end down for any rain. I made up some quick release ropes just in case a big storm comes along and we need to put it up in a hurry. So far it has worked very well. If things really go south, well that's what we have insurance for. That being said, it is nowhere near what our old manual awning was. With the manual awning I tilted it, tied it down, had a center rafter, and used deflappers. That awning was bomb proof. That awning was out in some of the worst storms you could imagine with no worries. If it was an option I would still have a manual awning.
          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Agreed that the electric awnings are "fragile". It's what we have to work with. Ours is not extended unless we are under it . . . more often for rain than for sun. Choose campground sites where the front of your trailer points north. By the time the afternoon sun gets hot, you are in the shade the trailer without needing an awning.

Rob
            That is the best advice for any awning.
            Mal & Helen
            With Mitzi our Yorkie
            2021 Solitude 310GK-R
            2020 Ford Larriet F250 Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
            2020 Reflection 303 RLS Sold
            2019 King Ranch F250 Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed Destroyed by squirrels
            B&W Companion Slider
            Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1954 View Post
              Hello,
              (2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS) (Awning Lippert Power Solera)
              Back again on the awning. First let me say we love the camper. But the awning is not great. It really is not the best design for the camper. If it is raining we have to choose letting the water come off by the door and water every place. Or the other end which goes over the slide out and can't lower enough because it will set on the sharp edge of the slide out and afraid it will tear. Also because of a wind it jumps all over. Another thing it does not go down enough to give any shade. I am considering tying it down. Only because I have seen other campers with the electric one tying theirs down and say they have not had any problems. I believe the warranty will not cover it then. Like I said before the camper is awesome and really hate to complain. We are seasonal campers. I have considered a permanent awning which many have. But I have been told I can't because there is not enough room over the slide out. If anyone can help me out with my problem. It would be appreciated with many thanks.
              Dave
              Good luck with solving your frustration regarding your awning (no, I’m not being sarcastic). What I do is: 1) use caution to keep it closed or not keep it open more than 2 feet if I’m not in or close by the rig, as it seems to me that the longer in length that’s it’s extended the greater the risk of damage.
              2) if I’m staying around or in the rig and it’s sunny, I’ll open it all the way and be mentally attentive to the potential for any changes in the wind conditions (works good 95% of the time, the other 5%, I’ll run over to the switch and bring it in)
              3) if I see the obvious potential for rain I’ll bring it in about 3 - 5 feet from full extension and tilt one side for runoff and continue to be mindful of wind conditions, which if they get beyond my tolerance point (which is only occasionally) I’ll bring it completely in. I’ve never had any issues with this practice. Not a guarantee of course but it has worked well for me for a long time.
              Again, Good Luck!
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Agreed that the electric awnings are "fragile". It's what we have to work with. Ours is not extended unless we are under it . . . more often for rain than for sun. Choose campground sites where the front of your trailer points north. By the time the afternoon sun gets hot, you are in the shade the trailer without needing an awning.

Rob
                This becomes a trade-off. When parked that way with a 303, it puts the fridge in the sun. I won’t go into the issues that can cause. I think best would be facing north so that you can use the trailer for shade, with trees on the west so that they shade the fridge or, park facing south, so that the trailer shades the fridge and you can carefully use the awning.

The best option might be to have the fridge and awning on the same side, then face north. Of course, I wouldn’t trade off my 303 for a different floor plan, so that’s not even an option for us.
                Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

This becomes a trade-off. When parked that way with a 303, it puts the fridge in the sun. I won’t go into the issues that can cause. I think best would be facing north so that you can use the trailer for shade, with trees on the west so that they shade the fridge or, park facing south, so that the trailer shades the fridge and you can carefully use the awning.

The best option might be to have the fridge and awning on the same side, then face north. Of course, I wouldn’t trade off my 303 for a different floor plan, so that’s not even an option for us.
                  On our 297 Reflection TT, the refrigerator is on the awing side, and it really does make a difference for us.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have a 2019 Reflection 297 RSTS. I can't find the set screw to adjust the Awning. It doesn't seem to be in the drip rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Fammy707 View Post
                      I have a 2019 Reflection 297 RSTS. I can't find the set screw to adjust the Awning. It doesn't seem to be in the drip rail.
                      There should be a screw to secure the awning fabric at the end of the fabric closest to the front of the RV , if there is not one you should add one it is just a small sheet metal screw and you can use stainless so it does not rust.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We pull in the awning any time the wind begins to kick up or if we leave the rig unattended. We also turn off the water pump any time we leave the rig. These new electric awnings are great for convenience but will not survive even a moderate storm with winds. Otherwise its extended all the time.

Jim

Comment

Hi all, I know I am late to this post but it just showed up this morning after a pause. FYI, here is what I have done for wet weather and moderate wind loads on our awning. I drilled a hole in both sides of the lower framing attached to the trailer, pull the arm down all the way on the adjustment and slide a nail in to hold the adjustment arm down all the way. This helps to stabilize things and allows for a significant angle for water drainage. Works great for most situations, be careful though as you do not want to reel in the awning with the nail in place as I found out. Why must I learn everything the hard way?

Dave
                          flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
                          X