Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage questions

Couple of noob questions....When you all store your RV do you:

1. Leave the rear camera on if you have a rear camera? I had the dealer install it, and haven't looked at how to remove....but that seems like it would be a pain to remove and put back on. I am parked on my farm, not a public storage location....but of course anything could always be stolen.
    2. Do you put the stabilizers down while in storage? It is "stored" but I have been in and out a bunch working on it.
    3. A recent friend who bought a Forest River NOBO recommended not to leave the blinds pulled down due to "droop"? They have accordion blinds? We have blackout shades that pull down. Any reason not to pull the blinds all down while in storage? Sun wear on only part of the shade? Droop? It seems like it would help keep it a little cooler.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully those questions do not open a can of worms...but would love to hear what you all do and why.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

No to the camera. If some one wants it bad enough let them have it.
    If you are working in the camper and want more stability then put the stabilizers down , they do not need to be down for long term storage.
    Shades will help keep it cooler but not by much without the AC running, plus being down they may fade faster.
    Install a vent cover or 2 to keep a roof vent open to allow air circulation , I have 3 on our unit and they are open year round.
    Disconnect the battery to keep it from discharging to low.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Stabilizers. We do indoor winter storage as a side business here at our house. We always tell our customers to NOT put stabilizers down and simply let the trailer sit on the tires and tongue jack (we put wood blocks under front a-frame as insurance just in case a jack breaks). The thought here is...if a tire goes flat over the winter the stabilizer jacks are not strong enough to carry full weight of the camper and will be damaged.

Steve
      2019 Imagine 2670MK
      2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
      1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        No to the camera. If some one wants it bad enough let them have it.
        If you are working in the camper and want more stability then put the stabilizers down , they do not need to be down for long term storage.
        Shades will help keep it cooler but not by much without the AC running, plus being down they may fade faster.
        Install a vent cover or 2 to keep a roof vent open to allow air circulation , I have 3 on our unit and they are open year round.
        Disconnect the battery to keep it from discharging to low.

Brian
        Brian - thanks. I think I will plan on leaving the camera in place. I have 3 vent covers installed already. You would leave these open even when not in use?
        Currently do not have any batteries. 3 Battleborns arrive next week. But, will make sure to either disconnect or experiment once I have some solar to keep it topped off.

Originally posted by bydabeav View Post
        Stabilizers. We do indoor winter storage as a side business here at our house. We always tell our customers to NOT put stabilizers down and simply let the trailer sit on the tires and tongue jack (we put wood blocks under front a-frame as insurance just in case a jack breaks). The thought here is...if a tire goes flat over the winter the stabilizer jacks are not strong enough to carry full weight of the camper and will be damaged.

Steve
        Thanks Steve. I never thought about a flat.

Appreciate both your responses.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

Yes we leave our vent covers open year round even when traveling. I have the Maxx air covers and have worked really well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When I store the trailer for an extended period of time, I leave the weight on the suspension but use four combination hydraulic jack/jackstands to take the weight off the tires. Probably seems like "overkill" to most, but only takes a few minutes and sets the trailer up nicely for brake adjustment, bearing repack, tire changes, etc. Plus, "weight off the tires" is what is recommended by most (all?) tire manufacturers for extended storage.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Is it an issue to have your slide out without the stabilizers down? Other than some added wobble?
              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                Is it an issue to have your slide out without the stabilizers down? Other than some added wobble?
                Should not be an issue to move slides without the stabilizers down , BUT , make sure the unit is level , this is most important. If the unit is not level you may run the risk of the slide becoming misaligned with the opening or damaging the drive mechanism.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                  We often do not put our rear stabilizers down and have done this for going on 7 seasons. Our 303 is pretty stable and a little movement does not bother Carol or me.......maybe because we were boaters for nearly 4 decades.

Also, think about all the units on dealers lots over the decades since slides have been around. These RVs have the slides open for folks to check out......dealers never or rarely have stabilizers down. Also, the GDRV Owners Manuals do not state this as a requirement.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                  X