Awning concerns with wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning concerns with wind

2019 Transcend 28MKS with a Lippert Solera electric awning.

First this is an incredible travel trailer, far beyond our hopes when we were looking.

My concern is the stability of the awning in wind. A friend of ours, a full-time RV-er, told us that With wind speed of above maybe 20MPH it could be in danger of severe damage if left extended. Since then my wife barely wants to use it.

Any information on this would be appreciated. I certainly do not want to damage the awning, and I know my wife would be greatly relieved with more information.

Clark Peters
    2019 Transcend 28MKS

Clark

We too are cautious with the awning. If we are not at the camper the awning is not out. Also at night the awning is in. We do have ours out quite often but if the wind picks up it goes in. A slight breeze is ok but wind is not. I have seen awnings broke from rain and blown up over the trailer from wind so I do not want to deal with that. As far as 20 mph I would be scared at 10 mph. If a gust comes or the wind is from the right direction damage can occur. Use the awning but do so while paying attention to the wind and how it affects it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you, Brian!
      2019 Transcend 28MKS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Clark

We too are cautious with the awning. If we are not at the camper the awning is not out. Also at night the awning is in. We do have ours out quite often but if the wind picks up it goes in. A slight breeze is ok but wind is not. I have seen awnings broke from rain and blown up over the trailer from wind so I do not want to deal with that. As far as 20 mph I would be scared at 10 mph. If a gust comes or the wind is from the right direction damage can occur. Use the awning but do so while paying attention to the wind and how it affects it.

Brian
        This^^. Full-timers/old-timers have a rule: the awning isn't out unless we're under it. We make an exception to that rule when we want to shade the big windows in the morning or evening (depending on which way that side is facing) and we're in the rig to monitor the wind conditions. In any case, the awnings always come in at sunset.

OP ( Cpeters89 ) forum hint: when replying to a particular person, use "Quote" (as I have here). That person will get a notification and, if there are lots of folks on the thread, it will reduce confusion. You can also tag users by using the "@" and their user name as I have here with you.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Cpeters89 it looks like we're all agreeing with your wife so far. I ditto Country Campers post; the awnings are out only in ideal near-calm conditions.

I did buy a kit for tying our main awning down as so many others with other trailers do - tying the outside corners with straps to pegs in the ground.

However even with maximum lean set on the awning those corners are still ladder-high. I didn't want to cope with having straps on them while furling and unfurling the awning, Hauling out the ladder for each set-up and take-down was very quickly ruled out. I further decided (subjectively) that our awning arms are more fragile than many of those we see almost permanently tied down through wind and rain, and visions of quickly releasing the straps and furling the awning in an approaching storm took on the cinematic qualities of a tense drama.

So, caution rules unfortunately. We get much less use of the awnings than we would like, but we haven't had any thousand-dollar-plus surprises either.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I've owned rigs with electric awnings for six years now. The old manual awning was tough. But these electric jobbies are so weak. I bet I haven't put mine out 1/2 dozen times, and I put it away as soon as I'm not sitting under it.

We prefer a pop up canopy. If it gets damaged by the wind, you're out a couple hundred bucks. Damage one of these new fangled electric awnings, and the bill is typically near a Grand to replace it.

P.S, You'd be surprised how many of your friends you can pack under a 13 x 13 pop up cover when it's raining. Right Cate&Rob , howson , Country Campers Andi , Guest , Canyonlight , Paul & Deb and others....

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              IYou'd be surprised how many of your friends you can pack under a 13 x 13 pop up cover when it's raining.
              The number of people that can crowd under a cover is directly proportional to the number of IPAs left in the coolers...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The number of people that can crowd under a cover is directly proportional to the number of IPAs left in the coolers...
                I think that’s “inversely proportional” to the number of IPAs left .
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm seeing daylight behind the main vertical bracket that screws to the rig at the back. Its been two week so I needed something to work on. Lol. I recall folks discussing plusnuts so I will be looking into this soon.

I would rather be under that 13x13 canopy right now helping with those IPA's.

Jim

Comment

We camp along the Southeast coast a lot over the years. At all of the larger campgrounds at any given time, you will find a damaged awning due to wind or water and a mobile repair truck at the site replacing awnings. Every year its the same.
                    Gary F
                    2020 Solitude 375RES-R
                    2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      I'm seeing daylight behind the main vertical bracket that screws to the rig at the back. Its been two week so I needed something to work on. Lol. I recall folks discussing plusnuts so I will be looking into this soon.

I would rather be under that 13x13 canopy right now helping with those IPA's.

Jim
                      Jim - this thread might help you. When GD did the install, they did not follow the MFG instruction 100%. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim - this thread might help you. When GD did the install, they did not follow the MFG instruction 100%. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair
                        Yoda Yoda,

Thank you. Right now I see some light from behind the bracket when the awning is closed up. About 1/8 inch or less. I've not checked to see if the mounting screws are stripped which is so common on these rigs, or if the screws need to be tightened down, or so on. If the screws are loose I've thought about a bead of GE silicone on the back side of the bracket where the silicone bond is very strong. May be incredibly tough to remove that bracket however if needed. If the screws are stripped, I'll go down the plusnut route as you have done.

This forum is such a great source of knowledge and extremely helpful.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Yoda Yoda,

Thank you. Right now I see some light from behind the bracket when the awning is closed up. About 1/8 inch or less. I've not checked to see if the mounting screws are stripped which is so common on these rigs, or if the screws need to be tightened down, or so on. If the screws are loose I've thought about a bead of GE silicone on the back side of the bracket where the silicone bond is very strong. May be incredibly tough to remove that bracket however if needed. If the screws are stripped, I'll go down the plusnut route as you have done.

This forum is such a great source of knowledge and extremely helpful.

Jim
                          Jim - I think what you may find is GD did not install all the screws recommended or used the wrong screw (self tapping) vers drill and install. The backing plate supposedly runs full length of the backing channel. Good luck - Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            I've owned rigs with electric awnings for six years now. The old manual awning was tough. But these electric jobbies are so weak. I bet I haven't put mine out 1/2 dozen times, and I put it away as soon as I'm not sitting under it.

We prefer a pop up canopy. If it gets damaged by the wind, you're out a couple hundred bucks. Damage one of these new fangled electric awnings, and the bill is typically near a Grand to replace it.

P.S, You'd be surprised how many of your friends you can pack under a 13 x 13 pop up cover when it's raining. Right Cate&Rob , howson , Country Campers Andi , Guest , Canyonlight , Paul & Deb and others....

Jim
                            Like this many folks under the pop up and more outside......see the legs on the left side of picture ! IPAs were enjoyed by many but it was the friends that were the real enjoyment ! Thanks, to Jim and Ginnie for sharing their pop up and fire pit with all of us over several nights !

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Like this many folks under the pop up and more outside......see the legs on the left side of picture ! IPAs were enjoyed by many but it was the friends that were the real enjoyment ! Thanks, to Jim and Ginnie for sharing their pop up and fire pit with all of us over several nights !

Dan
                              We've seriously hijacked this thread (imaging that). Since those legs appear to be in the dirt, did we go too far with the IPA's?

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X