Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Seal on Kitchen Slide--How Hard to Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    This is going to read like I"m complaining...and I guess I am...which is a shame because the experience at the Service Center was so excellent. But dag gum--the silicone sealant GD ran along the top of the horizontal (new) bulb seal didn't even last one month! I had to scrape it all off. Not a fun time. When I reapplied I used RVFlex. Harder to work with, but it was recommended quite awhile ago by fellow 315RLTS owner Chiefblueman so that's what I use.

Here's the before and after pics (this is the kitchen slide, the one with the new seals):

Silicone Sealant Cracked and Separated
    Click image for larger version Name:	seal cracked.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	8696

RV Flex Sealant Applied

Click image for larger version Name:	After.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	8697

Time will tell if it holds up better. I sure hope so!
    I had to do the same thing with the sealant recently. My trailer is now three years old though. Turned out about the same.
    Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
    2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

This is going to read like I"m complaining...and I guess I am...which is a shame because the experience at the Service Center was so excellent. But dag gum--the silicone sealant GD ran along the top of the horizontal (new) bulb seal didn't even last one month! I had to scrape it all off. Not a fun time. When I reapplied I used RVFlex. Harder to work with, but it was recommended quite awhile ago by fellow 315RLTS owner Chiefblueman so that's what I use.

Here's the before and after pics (this is the kitchen slide, the one with the new seals):

Silicone Sealant Cracked and Separated
      Click image for larger version Name:	seal cracked.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	8696

RV Flex Sealant Applied

Click image for larger version Name:	After.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	8697

Time will tell if it holds up better. I sure hope so!
      Howard - trust you shared this with Jerry and his team to review. I think Jerry would want to be aware to correct any deficiencies in the work process and/or the human element. This is unacceptable to have happened in this short of time.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Howard - trust you shared this with Jerry and his team to review. I think Jerry would want to be aware to correct any deficiencies in the work process and/or the human element. This is unacceptable to have happened in this short of time.

Dan
        I agree. My 2018 297RSTS is starting to see this as well. Mostly lower around the skirts.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
          No, I didn't. Good point. Though I'll send an email to my POC (Valerie) and let her decide if it needs to be up-channeled. I'm sure Jerry has lot bigger fish to fry.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome to the forum--glad you're here. I also joined a forum well before I purchased my 315RLTS. I think you're wise to go into your purchase with "eyes wide open".

Regarding the seals--while up at Grand Design the moderators were taken on an up-close tour of the factory lines. I, of course, had to look at the seals on the campers in production. To my delight GD has switched to a new style seal where the wiper and bulb are one assembly. The inner and outer wipers are now separate assemblies.

With the Service Manager's permission I snagged a scrap of the new seal. Note the glue (where my pointing finger is touching the seal.) That bonds the seal into place. Then they screw it in, too. The arrow I added shows where it is screwed in to the camper from the outside. The seal is now replaceable without hyper-extending the slide. Outstanding, Grand Design!

Click image for larger version Name:	Seal1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	8197

The second picture shows the "wiper tip" that helps to clean the water off the slide. Also a fine addition.

Click image for larger version Name:	seal2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	8198

Lots of experience on this forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions. The four moderators and the "regulars" here are all owners--we are not Grand Design employees. Though this site is owned by Grand Design, they allow us to criticize when justified. To me that shows how transparent they are willing to be.

Howard
            Thanks for the welcome and I’m glad that GD is trying to improve on products. And I’m glad that they are concerned and listen to the moderators that are trying to make useful suggestions. Nothing better than being able to go to factory and see what is behind the scenes. Very cool. Also that they are people on the site that can get the problems to someone that can possible help. I will be going and at least taking the tour in the spring just to see what I can on build. Sure it will give me a better understanding on how they are built and get some answers to some build questions that I have already stored up. Again nice job with explaining the situations and pics that are easily understood.

Comment

Working...
            X