Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Seal on Kitchen Slide--How Hard to Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Seal on Kitchen Slide--How Hard to Replace?

The response to my (GD National Rally) service request to replace a torn external seal was to schedule an in-shop repair at the factory after the rally. Unfortunately at this point my schedule's been set so I can't squeeze in extra days at Elkhart. I've responded to Mr. Adams and asked for the part so I can do it myself (waiting for a reply).

What am I getting myself into? Is the seal hard to replace? (It's on the kitchen slide, 2019 315RLTS.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    The response to my (GD National Rally) service request to replace a torn external seal was to schedule an in-shop repair at the factory after the rally. Unfortunately at this point my schedule's been set so I can't squeeze in extra days at Elkhart. I've responded to Mr. Adams and asked for the part so I can do it myself (waiting for a reply).

What am I getting myself into? Is the seal hard to replace? (It's on the kitchen slide, 2019 315RLTS.)
    The slide has to be removed to replace the wiper seals which is why they can't do it at the rally. Ask me how I know If it's just the D-build seal you can replace those easily.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

The slide has to be removed to replace the wiper seals which is why they can't do it at the rally. Ask me how I know If it's just the D-build seal you can replace those easily.
      Well...dang. I had no idea it would be that intensive of a repair. Here's exactly what's torn/damaged:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal Torn.JPG
Views:	1313
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2296
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I'm on my phone so I don't have the best look but I think you're just looking at the bulb seal that seals the slide by compression when the slide closes. Those are simple. There should be a retaining screw usually at the top. Remove the screw and the seal runs in a channel and should pull right out. Get a new seal and slip it on and replace the screw.
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
          I'm on my phone so I don't have the best look but I think you're just looking at the bulb seal that seals the slide by compression when the slide closes. Those are simple. There should be a retaining screw usually at the top. Remove the screw and the seal runs in a channel and should pull right out. Get a new seal and slip it on and replace the screw.
          What you've identified as "the bulb seal"--yep, that's real easy. It's the other one that I think I'll be hosed if it requires the slide removed to replace.

Comment

GDRV-Emily -- it would be cool if JDAdams responded to my issue here so we'd all learn from it. He has an email from me asking for the part in lieu of scheduling an in-shop repair. Can JD verify the reason he sent me an email to schedule an in-shop repair is because the slide must come out to replace the outer wipe seal? Obviously I won't get the part if indeed the slide must come out--beyond my capability. (See post #3 above for a picture--I know the outer "bulb" seal is easy. It's the second one that's torn that appears to be the issue.)

-Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              GDRV-Emily -- it would be cool if JDAdams responded to my issue here so we'd all learn from it. He has an email from me asking for the part in lieu of scheduling an in-shop repair. Can JD verify the reason he sent me an email to schedule an in-shop repair is because the slide must come out to replace the outer wipe seal? Obviously I won't get the part if indeed the slide must come out--beyond my capability. (See post #3 above for a picture--I know the outer "bulb" seal is easy. It's the second one that's torn that appears to be the issue.)

-Howard
              I can answer part of it. The side seal (wiper seal) is the one that will require you to hyper extend the room in order for it to be replaced. This is somethign we recommend be done at a service facility. The Bulb Seal at the top, I believe can be replaced no problem. I will get with JD to see if he can get me some answers to your email. He has been in and out of his office due to travel and other things. Gimme a bit and I will see what I can do!

Comment

Will be watching this closely. This issue brings up one of my concerns about putting a new, in warranty trailer on a permanent site.....blocking it and skirting it. If I should need a repair that cannot be done at the site, it would be a real issue.

I am curious if the tear in the seal is a result of simple in/out slide motion, seal sticking to the slide, defective from factory, etc. Since my slides are all deployed and will stay that way (maybe exercise them periodically), my only plan to keep them in good shape is to coat them with 303 protectant every 3 months or so.
                2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
                  Will be watching this closely. This issue brings up one of my concerns about putting a new, in warranty trailer on a permanent site.....blocking it and skirting it. If I should need a repair that cannot be done at the site, it would be a real issue.

I am curious if the tear in the seal is a result of simple in/out slide motion, seal sticking to the slide, defective from factory, etc. Since my slides are all deployed and will stay that way (maybe exercise them periodically), my only plan to keep them in good shape is to coat them with 303 protectant every 3 months or so.
                  I doubt you will have this issue in your situation. After 5 years and nearly 50,000 miles I could never even count the number of times my slides have opened and closed. I've already replaced my bulb seals once and they are due again but my wiper seals are still okay with the exception of the bedroom slide.
                  Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

GDRV-Emily or anyone else--is there a temp fix I can accomplish?

Emily--in post #7 you stated the repair needs to be done at a "service facility". Does this include a certified GD dealer?

This is the first repair I can't do myself on the trailer--a bummer.

Comment

Howard

Those are just bulb seals, the screw that you can see inside them is what holds them into the track. If you remove the screw, one at each end maybe , the seal will just slide out of the track. I would guess that these would be available aftermarket somewhere.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                        Howard

Those are just bulb seals, the screw that you can see inside them is what holds them into the track. If you remove the screw, one at each end maybe , the seal will just slide out of the track. I would guess that these would be available aftermarket somewhere.

Brian
                        Nope, not the bulb seal. I wish it was. As noted in the video, a bulb seal is very easy to replace. The wiper seals (both interior and exterior) are torn and are secured to the camper by screws inaccessible due to the slide.

Comment

I tried various temp-fix methods without any success. Inspected entire area of rail--there's nothing obvious that caused the damage (like a screw backed out of the slide,etc.)

Here's the OEM setup (terrible diagram--hopefully you can "see" it). Note that the bulb seal slides right off the wiper seal "L" frame (there's a screw at the top and bottom attaching the bulb seal to the "L" frame):

Name:	Seals Diagram.JPG
Views:	3053
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2795

What I'm going to attempt is to attach a RecPro self-adhesive seal to the inside of the bulb seal (off the RV) and then slide it as one assembly back onto the "L" bracket.

Name:	Temp Seal.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	0
ID:	2796

I'll let you know how it goes...

-Howard

Comment

Howard - just watched your video. Even though GDRV will not address this as a rally repair item, I would hope that they can get you in right away afterwards (or before the rally) to take care of this. Gosh, if they cannot do this for a leader on the new website.........this does not leave me with that "lovin feelin" so prominent between GDRV and many wonderful owners over the years. If you have water penetration in the wall, you may be in for a new wall too. Leaving it at the Customer Care Center may be a good thing to get this and other things fixed better than new.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                              Howard - just watched your video. Even though GDRV will not address this as a rally repair item, I would hope that they can get you in right away afterwards (or before the rally) to take care of this. Gosh, if they cannot do this for a leader on the new website.........this does not leave me with that "lovin feelin" so prominent between GDRV and many wonderful owners over the years. If you have water penetration in the wall, you may be in for a new wall too. Leaving it at the Customer Care Center may be a good thing to get this and other things fixed better than new.

Dan
                              Dan,
                              To be fair to GD, they offered several dates when they denied the repair at the rally. The dates were after the rally but I'd have to make significant itinerary changes that I really don't want to do. I need to get those seals fixed, but I don't think it's a gotta-have-it-done-immediately repair.

GD Customer Service is working to get a date for me in the middle of October. (This is my first interaction with GD Customer Service, and I must say the woman I spoke to was fantastic.)

I spent $50 on those seals in the post above--I'll let you know when they arrive if they work out as a good "temp" fix.

Howard

Comment

• Canyonlight
                                Canyonlight commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ok - good to hear. Most often it is Val (Valerie Rogers) and she was fantastic to work with when our 303 was there for a month and 1/2.

Dan
                            Working...
                            X