Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Seal on Kitchen Slide--How Hard to Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tackled the temporary fix today as the seals I ordered from RecPro arrived. (See post #13.)

Picture #1 is supposed to show how easy it is to slide off the compression, or bulb, seal. Each exterior bulb seal has a matching interior one, too. The exterior bulb seal was held on by two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the seal.

#2 shows the bulb seal next to the new RecPro wiper seal. I cleaned the bulb seal with 91% alcohol, cut the new RecPro seal to length, and then attached the new seal on top of the bulb seal. I then clamped the assembly together and let it sit for an hour to ensure good adhesion of the new seal's tape. (Pic #3)

Pic #4 shows the bulb seal getting slid back on with the temporary wiper seal and also shows how the RecPro is attached to the top of the seal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequence for Seals.JPG
Views:	2477
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2915

The only difficult part was joining the new wiper seal with the slide's top exterior seal. I found that Super Glue works instantly and is perfect for joining the rubber pieces. You can't tell in any of the pictures, but I flipped the exterior bulb seal so the torn section is at the bottom.

The video below shows the slide coming out. I think it works very well--almost(?) better than OEM because if I needed to replace these seals its as simple as getting new bulb seals and a new wiper seals. If I did it again I'd try to remove the tape on the new wiper and just use Super Glue--it bonds the rubber tight.

A sharp-eyed viewer may see the top bulb seal is trashed, too, on the kitchen slide. I sealed it with a *lot* of silicone as a temp fix. I also found a split bulb seal on the dinette slide, too. (!) They obviously don't last very long.

Any questions...fire away.

-Howard

P.S. If you're curious about the small pieces of seal I attached to the outside of my slide...I'll be working on a separate post and will link it here: <In Work!>

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for posting this, it makes it seem like a simple repair and not have to involve a repair shop. I have a small tear in wiper seal bottom at left side dining room slide. Was wondering if a bit of silicone at the tear would hold it for awhile. Any other adhesives or patches suggested that you have heard of?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
        Thank you for posting this, it makes it seem like a simple repair and not have to involve a repair shop. I have a small tear in wiper seal bottom at left side dining room slide. Was wondering if a bit of silicone at the tear would hold it for awhile. Any other adhesives or patches suggested that you have heard of?
        Due to the movement of the wiper seal I don't think silicone will do it. If I'd known of any other methods you can bet I would have probably tried it. I'll update this thread at a later date with the good--or bad--results using this temp fix during my upcoming trip. (I have an appt in Oct to get it fixed right.)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

By getting it “fixed right” you mean having the slide hyperextended to replace the H-seal? I was hoping your solution would prevent having to do that at a service center.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
            By getting it “fixed right” you mean having the slide hyperextended to replace the H-seal? I was hoping your solution would prevent having to do that at a service center.
            First and most importantly--this is *not* a time-tested modification. Anyone considering doing what I've done is doing so at their own risk. I make no promises that what I've done--or suggest below--will work over the long term.

My camper was still under warranty when the torn seals were identified and reported to Grand Design. If I had to pay to get them replaced I'd try "my" solution first before forking over the $$$$$ to have it done. (Frankly, I'm more concerned about the workmanship--or lack thereof--than the cost!) I'm having the work done at the Grand Design factory (after the rally). If they can't get it right, who can?

If I was going to replace my seals the diagram below shows what I'd try. Note that all three bulb seals and all three wiper seals get replaced at the same time, regardless of their individual condition. I'd Super Glue the wiper seal to the bulb seal.

REMEMBER--this is (at best) a beta concept. I have not tried it nor seen anyone else do it but based on my experience yesterday it is what I'll attempt next time.

Name:	New Seals.JPG
Views:	1739
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2940

Comment

Howard

I was just wondering why the seal needs to be attached on the "end" of the wall instead of the outside or inside? Would it be possible to remove the outer part of the seal and totally replace it with a "non L-shape" mount seal? The only reason I can see for the seal to be mounted this way from the factory is for job security.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Howard

I was just wondering why the seal needs to be attached on the "end" of the wall instead of the outside or inside? Would it be possible to remove the outer part of the seal and totally replace it with a "non L-shape" mount seal? The only reason I can see for the seal to be mounted this way from the factory is for job security.

Brian
                Some seals are "H" shaped, meaning the inside and outside wiper seals are one piece with the middle of the "H" inserted into the wall. The whole assembly is then stapled into place. This video gives you a visual on what I'm referencing:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think GD uses "H" seals. What I see appears to be "L" seals with the inner part of the "L" inside the wall and that's where it is secured to the camper. Post #13 has a diagram that represents what I see on my 315RLTS. It's especially evident if you look at the seal that is visible below the side of a slide--very easy to see the "L" and how the wiper seal is constructed.

Why the "L" is not secured on the outside (under the bulb seal) is a mystery to me. Changing a wiper seal would be super easy in that case--remove the bulb seal, unscrew the wiper seal and detach from the wall. Screw a new one in, seal with silicone, then slide on a new bulb seal.

Maybe a smarter person (there's lots of them!) can explain why a part that is bound to wear and require replacement is assembled where the slide must be "hyper-extended" (whatever that means) to replace.

Edit: I'm going to ask the factory if it is possible to secure the new seals on the outside as I suggest in this post when my kitchen seals are replaced in October. That way if I have to do it again in the future it will be easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Some seals are "H" shaped, meaning the inside and outside wiper seals are one piece with the middle of the "H" inserted into the wall. The whole assembly is then stapled into place. This video gives you a visual on what I'm referencing:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think GD uses "H" seals. What I see appears to be "L" seals with the inner part of the "L" inside the wall and that's where it is secured to the camper. Post #13 has a diagram that represents what I see on my 315RLTS. It's especially evident if you look at the seal that is visible below the side of a slide--very easy to see the "L" and how the wiper seal is constructed.

Why the "L" is not secured on the outside (under the bulb seal) is a mystery to me. Changing a wiper seal would be super easy in that case--remove the bulb seal, unscrew the wiper seal and detach from the wall. Screw a new one in, seal with silicone, then slide on a new bulb seal.

Maybe a smarter person (there's lots of them!) can explain why a part that is bound to wear and require replacement is assembled where the slide must be "hyper-extended" (whatever that means) to replace.

Edit: I'm going to ask the factory if it is possible to secure the new seals on the outside as I suggest in this post when my kitchen seals are replaced in October. That way if I have to do it again in the future it will be easy to do.
                  Howard

Any update you can tell us about?

Thanks
                  Mikec557
                  Mike and Patti
                  2019 Reflection 29RS
                  2018 GMC CC 3500HD Duramax SRW Z71 4x4
                  Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
                  2 Battleborn Lithium, 300 watts Solar

Comment

Originally posted by Mikec557 View Post

Howard

Any update you can tell us about?

Thanks
                    Mikec557
                    I am heading to Elkhart for a factory repair. My temp fix held up well over the summer.

Comment

GDRV-Emily or anyone else--is there a temp fix I can accomplish?

Emily--in post #7 you stated the repair needs to be done at a "service facility". Does this include a certified GD dealer?

This is the first repair I can't do myself on the trailer--a bummer.
                      I would just like to say as I’m new to the site , I thought you did an excellent job trying to get that camera where we could see. And you did it all without a camera shot of falling off that roof. Good job. I have not purchased our 5th wheel yet. We have looked at several manufacturers but I keep coming back to GD. Probably will pull the trigger next spring. One of my big concerns is the slides and all the seals. Look forward to learning more. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nonrev59 View Post

I would just like to say as I’m new to the site , I thought you did an excellent job trying to get that camera where we could see. And you did it all without a camera shot of falling off that roof. Good job. I have not purchased our 5th wheel yet. We have looked at several manufacturers but I keep coming back to GD. Probably will pull the trigger next spring. One of my big concerns is the slides and all the seals. Look forward to learning more. Thanks
                        Welcome to the forum--glad you're here. I also joined a forum well before I purchased my 315RLTS. I think you're wise to go into your purchase with "eyes wide open".

Regarding the seals--while up at Grand Design the moderators were taken on an up-close tour of the factory lines. I, of course, had to look at the seals on the campers in production. To my delight GD has switched to a new style seal where the wiper and bulb are one assembly. The inner and outer wipers are now separate assemblies.

With the Service Manager's permission I snagged a scrap of the new seal. Note the glue (where my pointing finger is touching the seal.) That bonds the seal into place. Then they screw it in, too. The arrow I added shows where it is screwed in to the camper from the outside. The seal is now replaceable without hyper-extending the slide. Outstanding, Grand Design!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seal1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	8197

The second picture shows the "wiper tip" that helps to clean the water off the slide. Also a fine addition.

Click image for larger version  Name:	seal2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	8198

Lots of experience on this forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions. The four moderators and the "regulars" here are all owners--we are not Grand Design employees. Though this site is owned by Grand Design, they allow us to criticize when justified. To me that shows how transparent they are willing to be.

Howard

Comment

This is going to read like I"m complaining...and I guess I am...which is a shame because the experience at the Service Center was so excellent. But dag gum--the silicone sealant GD ran along the top of the horizontal (new) bulb seal didn't even last one month! I had to scrape it all off. Not a fun time. When I reapplied I used RVFlex. Harder to work with, but it was recommended quite awhile ago by fellow 315RLTS owner Chiefblueman so that's what I use.

Here's the before and after pics (this is the kitchen slide, the one with the new seals):

Silicone Sealant Cracked and Separated
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	seal cracked.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	8696

RV Flex Sealant Applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	After.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	8697

Time will tell if it holds up better. I sure hope so!
                          Last edited by howson; 12-08-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Regarding the seals--while up at Grand Design the moderators were taken on an up-close tour of the factory lines. I, of course, had to look at the seals on the campers in production. To my delight GD has switched to a new style seal where the wiper and bulb are one assembly. The inner and outer wipers are now separate assemblies.
                            Howard, I missed all of this thread until now. Ouch! Two questions:

1) Do you know when GD began using the new style of wiper? Our Solitude was built in December 2018 and I'm hoping (without being able to look) that I've got the new one.

2) Early in our Solitude's life I bought a can of slide seal lube and lubed once with it. Your travails make me want to do it again asap. Would that make a difference do you think, or was it the bulge and bump in your seal that brought you all this grief?

Thanks.

Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Howard, I missed all of this thread until now. Ouch! Two questions:

1) Do you know when GD began using the new style of wiper? Our Solitude was built in December 2018 and I'm hoping (without being able to look) that I've got the new one.

2) Early in our Solitude's life I bought a can of slide seal lube and lubed once with it. Your travails make me want to do it again asap. Would that make a difference do you think, or was it the bulge and bump in your seal that brought you all this grief?

Thanks.
                              Q1: I doubt you have the new seal, Mark. Even I didn't get the new one as unfortunately GD installed the old style back on my trailer...didn't realize until I'd gotten home. I didn't know about the new seal until I spotted it on the assembly line. Oh well--I'm not complaining--I got what I expected but it sure would have been a pleasant surprise to have the new style. Next time (if there is a next time) the new seals are going on and I'll do it myself.

Q2: It was the slide being misaligned that caused my grief. It pinched the upper corner, tearing the slide seals. I've heard arguments for lubricant and arguments for no lubricant. I don't see any harm in (gently) cleaning them, but getting to the interior wipers isn't an easy task.

What I can definitively advise is to be hyper-vigilant to ensure no foreign matter or debris can impact any seal when moving a slide. Look up, sideways and under before moving anything. Second, watch the movement of the seals.

This is an opinion and one I don't think GD will support, but watch the seals diligently to ensure they flip and tuck as the slide moves out and in, respectively. It was when I spotted the corner that didn't so this correctly that I tracked down the torn seal which ultimately turned out to be a misaligned slide.

As I've previously posted (somewhere), the "flippers" I glued on to the sides of the slides are working perfectly to ensure the seal edge is grabbed when the slide starts moving and fully flipped (or tucked) before the slide stops moving.

Those "flippers" are the hard section of a RecPro seal. I cut off the rubber wiper part and glued them (using what came on the part).

Name:	rec pro.JPG
Views:	2276
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	8713

The inner "flipper" tucks the seal as the slide moves in. The outer "flipper" unfurls the seal as the slide moves out.

Name:	flippers.JPG
Views:	2183
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	8714

Not an original idea (lots of links on the internet where I learned about the concept) but my implementation using a part of a seal (I think) is unique.

Hope this helps somehow!

-Howard

Comment

Q1: I doubt you have the new seal, Mark. (Etc.)
                                Howard why don't you put a little effort into responding thoroughly and helpfully when someone asks you a question?!

Thanks so much.
                                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X