Entry Door POPs open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Door POPs open

We just got our 2020 GD Solitude 380-FL. I noticed that the Entry door was really hard to open and close (from the inside especially). I put some silicon on the strike and latch and that helped for about a week. After that, i adjusted the strike plate further towards the exterior of the camper. Over the past few weeks (with the RV in a storage lot) I have been making trips over to do some work. I noticed that the door had popped open even though both locks were locked. I know for a fact the door was latched and locked, but it seems the door came open anyway. Any advice on this? Could it be that i moved the strike plate and need to adjust that back some (even though it makes it difficult to close the door...you have to slam it to get it to close all the way and latch)? Is this a known problem?

Originally posted by krzbleo View Post
    We just got our 2020 GD Solitude 380-FL. I noticed that the Entry door was really hard to open and close (from the inside especially). I put some silicon on the strike and latch and that helped for about a week. After that, i adjusted the strike plate further towards the exterior of the camper. Over the past few weeks (with the RV in a storage lot) I have been making trips over to do some work. I noticed that the door had popped open even though both locks were locked. I know for a fact the door was latched and locked, but it seems the door came open anyway. Any advice on this? Could it be that i moved the strike plate and need to adjust that back some (even though it makes it difficult to close the door...you have to slam it to get it to close all the way and latch)? Is this a known problem?
    I've dealt with this issue in the recent past too. Ours would pop open while we were traveling down the highway. Fortunately, the grab bar kept it from swinging too far. I was able to get it a little better by adjusting the strike plate. But even then, it was not 100% right.

When I was at the national rally last year, I replaced the locking mechanism with a new electrical combination lock. But I was still having the same issue. The new lock came with a new strike plate. So I figured "what the heck", and replaced the strike plate, even though it looked identical. I was surprised that the new strike plate solved all the problems.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have the opposite problem, on my 2020 Solitude 310GK, the door is stuck shut when the sun is on the curb side of the rig. The heat from the sun expands the door/frame and it takes an excessive amount of force to get it open. First time it did it I thought it was locked.
      Last edited by clsfly; 07-01-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Here is a trick I learned a long time back. Get a bottle of the white typing correction fluid (you can still find it) Paint the strike plate with it, let dry (a minute) then open and close the door several times, including operating the deadbolt. You should see very quickly what adjustments need to be made. To check depth or engagement paint up the latch and dead bolt faces, close the door and operate them several times. Doing both should give you a clear picture of what going on.

On my new rig I had closing issues and it was one of the screws holding the frame that was slightly out of wack and not flush fitting. After resetting the screw all is well.

Hope this helps
        Keith

Additional
        Poster paint and chalk will also work, but are harder to clean up.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I started a similar post about our door popping open, 2020 Solitude S 2930. I have worked through some of the problem being the screen door is not closing properly due to interference on the hinge side with the crossbar for the Mor Ryde Step Above assembly and is mounted higher. This cross bar is not the one with a hand lever and latching pins. I believe that these steps on the Mor Ryde site have the latches with the hand lever, which I believe would be the final solution to our issue. The good folks at Grand Design are more than willing to help us solve this, and I will contact them Monday.
          2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Working...
          X