Added lights to my Swagman Dispatch bike rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added lights to my Swagman Dispatch bike rack

Wanted to improve visibility of lights with the bikes on the rack on the back of my 303RLS. Fairly simple mod. I used the 16” stop/turn/tail lights from Amazon and a piece of aluminum angle I had on hand already. Mounted it to the main shaft with a 2” square U-bolt so no modifications to the rack itself.

First picture shows how it is mounted to the bike rack, second shows the rack without the lights and the third shows it with them. I have the rack mounted on my truck as a handy place to work on it and test it.

The lights are amazingly bright, and the mounting location is much more visible than I had hoped. Unless you are in a semi running 10ft off my bumper, you will be able to see the lights even with two bikes mounted.

If I were starting from scratch, I’d have used an 1-1/4” or 1-1/2” 1/8” wall square aluminum tube for the mounting bar, but the price was right with what I used.
    Last edited by Jkwilson; 07-08-2020, 10:22 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Great job. I love when I have the "right parts" on hand when doing a project. Sometimes the project changes to suit what I have on hand. I may add this to my bike rack or maybe even just to the hitch receiver. Never hurts to have more lights back there.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Great job. I love when I have the "right parts" on hand when doing a project. Sometimes the project changes to suit what I have on hand. I may add this to my bike rack or maybe even just to the hitch receiver. Never hurts to have more lights back there.

Brian
      Unfortunately I get no credit from the boss for the money I saved having a piece of aluminum on hand. She calls me a hoarder.

I watched a show the other night called “Churchill’s Toyshop”, and there was a scene where one of the guys rummages through a box of scrap pipe while inventing the PIAT anti-tank weapon. My wife didn’t see the connection when I told her that was how I worked. Go figure.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
      X